We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream fund challenge part 4

Options

Comments

• choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just heard Charles Kennedy is dead. He was such a good constituency MP here - always worked incredibly hard for us. It's so sad. If MPs had as much a moral compass as he had we'd be a much better country.
  • phoebe1989seb
    phoebe1989seb Posts: 4,452 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options

But I need to have a word with the virginia creeper. Its starting to turn colour already, showing its opinion of this year's weather offering!

Ours too, LIR :o

Little, if any damage due to the gales here (although it sounded pretty bad throughout the evening/early part of the night), just a few collapsed clumps of poppies and masses, but not all, of the wisteria blossom has come down. Was expecting to lose at least one tree, but even in the surrounding area there seems to have been few - if any - casualties.

Has been (slightly) warmer today, but still breezy with some sunshine. Went to an auction looking for stock this morning but came away empty handed as the items we were interested in went for silly money (in the thousands :eek:).......

Hope BD is ok and that everyone came through the unseasonable weather without too much damage ;)
    Mortgage-free for fourteen years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    COOLTRIKERCHICK Posts: 10,510 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I know what you mean about Charles Kennedy. I used to Like him when he done have I got news for you etc.. I know he had a drink problem... But then I wouldn't be suprised with the pressure and stress he must have gone through re bring a proper mp.

Well the factory owners have now fenced practically up against all our boundary wall, even after enforcement telling them to stop a few weeks back...

Sold 3 of our piglets to a local community farm, OK they will be meat, as they have a meat scheme running , but I feel quite proud that they have gone there...the manager there did see them when they were younger.. And loved them then

So might take them to auction on Thursday..( Hereford) as we got a funeral to go to on Friday morning ( on bikes) and this is when our normal monthly auction is
    Work to live= not live to work
  • I_have_spoken
    I_have_spoken Posts: 5,051 Forumite
    edited 2 June 2015 at 9:01PM
    Options
    Hope everyone's garden/veg came through the wind and rain. Daft amount of rain with me in last 48 hours, maybe 30mm, and it's been the coldest May for 20 years :(

Much of the garden looking a bit rough, but only a polonium was broken down by the wind.

Depressing thought that the longest day is 21st June and yet 2015 weather so far has been grim apart from that few days at Easter. I certainly don't fancy staying in Scotland long-term, reckon Suffolk for retirement.
  • choille
    Options
    Well - Scotlands a big country & it has certainly been wet here - the wettest since we moved to the Highlands 15 years ago. But I do think that it is a pattern. Just can't get the ground dry. It's squelch squelch squelch slippy slidey. But at least we don't flood here - touch wood.
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    choille wrote: »
    Well - Scotlands a big country & it has certainly been wet here - the wettest since we moved to the Highlands 15 years ago. But I do think that it is a pattern. Just can't get the ground dry. It's squelch squelch squelch slippy slidey. But at least we don't flood here - touch wood.

And its been such a relief to NOT be wet in the south west. We know we are wet down here usually......but a year off is nice.
  • choille
    Options
    Funny that - you being drier - we certainly have much stronger winds that seem to be unseasonal & go on & on. The thunder snow has been a feature for the past three Winters - never known that before. Once we get into that weird atmospheric pressure it seems weeks if not a few months before it passes.

Saying all of that I have never known as many birds - garden birds about. The place is heaving. I don't know whether it's my planting of shrubs, shelter-belts & feeding the birds year round that's doing it or bee/insect friendly plants & attempting encouraging bio-diversity that's having a knock on effect or what. But if it is then it's been a quick & successful little project. But the cat sits chattering at all of the birds out there & they swear at him. I do hope he doesn't kill too many.....
    But there is a definate increase in birds & bird species too, but hardly any dragon flies & I do miss them.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Not keeping up....:o

Mr Rod phoned to say he wouldn't be here today after all, so having knocked myself out yesterday preparing, I'm taking it easier. :p

Electricians arrived, by which time I'd worked out the problem, which was entirely their fault. By elimination, I'd found the affected circuit to be outside lights, which are actually just wires hanging from the building around head height.....but I didn't expect them to be live!!!:eek: The rain had run down the wires, formed a blob and joined pos to neg or earth.

The guys had a solution.....splay the wires out! Brillant! So they did....and left, having turned the circuit back on! :wall:

It's off now. :A

Ran out of blocks due to doing more walls than expected so I've just picked up another 70. Thought they looked a bit oldish and nearly said something, but then noticed I'd been given 30% discount. I think this means I've been favoured! :D:rotfl:

Anyone else getting timed out messages from MSE???? :(
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    COOLTRIKERCHICK Posts: 10,510 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes I was getting that last night, thought it was my tablet thing I use now..
    Work to live= not live to work
  • choille
    Options
    I seemed to get a new page/ new looking box - which is pretty sick inducing & don't like the look of it at all. I think someone's tinkering with the site.

Hopefully plumber will be back tomorrow - I'm that stressed out I could scream at anyone. I really didn't think I would get this het up about anything.

The place we got the island unit from didn't supply the waste = should of done & have promised & promised & promised but Saturday the guy told me to F off basically when I phoned to nag him about it - spent a good bit of the morning on that little item but will get one from elsewhere next week delivered. Geee some folks just shouldn't be let loose on the public - well not me in any case!

Really incredibly cold - blowing off snow I would say. Can't really get over how cold it is.

I've actually got washing pegged out - wow - that hasn't happened for a while, but the sky is going all dark & the wind is really picked up. Mumble, mutter, whinge & humbug....
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback