The 'Better Late Than Never' September NSD Challenge.'

Options

Comments

• marmiterulesok
    Options
    ab_saver wrote: »
    Woke up and had a brainwave - what I was struggling to express was that whilst all my expenses on my spend day were ones that were needed, some were things I just didn't foresee and could have done -e.g. OH's sister's birthday (it's the same day every year and we've been together 5 years...). I think I need to add a virtual envelope for gifts for friends so that I know when I need to buy a gift the money is there and doesn't eat into my other categories. Off to go and update OnTrees...

One word:budgeting!

You can't think of everything,especially if you're new to it,but it gets easier. :)

Mind you,there are always unforeseen things.Emergency fund?
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    We will have some self indulgent fish and chips from the chippy tonight instead of cooking - bang goes a NSD! However, tonight is DS's last night at home before we take him to uni tomorrow so that's our excuse!

Should get a few more NSDs before the month's end, then will start serious NSD hunting in October, on account of planning for that festival beginning with C that shall not be named.
    One life - your life - live it!
  • ab_saver
    ab_saver Posts: 334 Forumite
    First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 23 September 2016 at 5:55PM
    Options
    One word:budgeting!

You can't think of everything,especially if you're new to it,but it gets easier. :)

Mind you,there are always unforeseen things.Emergency fund?

Thanks marmite - think you hit the nail on the head there. My budgeting is definitely getting better. I've only been in the job 2 months and had one payday so far so it's definitely an iterative process. I think once I'm settled on a stable salary and into a routine it'll be much easier.

Re: emergency fund - I've signed up to the emergency fund challenge but not put anything in yet. I'm expecting some funds back from overpaid bills to top that up to about [STRIKE]£20[/STRIKE] - got that money back today and was only £5.90 - better than nothing though. Once I've ditched the overdraft once and for all I'm planning on funding it with the Lloyds save the change tool plus the occasional top up.

NSD # 3 today. :)

Tomorrow should be a low spend day as found out that dinner will be subsidised!

All going well I should end the month with the overdraft below £1000 which would make me so happy. I'm writing a provisional budget for next month but I don't yet know exactly how much I'll be paid- will put it on my diary once it's sorted.

Thank you both for giving a young foolish newbie help and advice!
    House fund: ~£5000 / £10,000 :D_£1000 emergency fund #208 - £151.74/ 1000 _
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    If you are talking about being foolish, ab, then let me tell you what I have told so many folks on here. When it comes to financial messes, I have a degree in Stupidity from the University of Stupidity in Stupidtown.

My OH and I were in a humongous amount of debt, and it is thanks partly to Stepchange and partly to the help of people on this site that we got out of it. Keep looking round the forums, there is always something useful to learn.
    One life - your life - live it!
  • marmiterulesok
    Options
    Further updates from Chateau Nargle - my DS moves into student digs at university on Saturday, so OH and I will be alone for the first time in 18 years ( apart from the times the boy was on school trips, or when he went on holiday to Greece with his mates two days after his 18th birthday).

The university is in a city only 20 miles or so away, so he will be able to get back for weekends now and then (e.g. When he runs out of clean socks)

A new addition to the household is a genuine Narglehound, Molly the border collie. She is now 9 months old and an absolute delight, even if she is bonkers. Senior cat Albert keeps hew in her place. Junior cat Patsy has said "sod that for a game of soldiers" and moved out to become an outdoor cat. We put food out for her every day, and hope she comes back indoors when the weather turns nasty.

So, on this Autumn Equinox evening, I look forward to getting back into the NSD way!

I hope it all goes smoothly for DS.What an occasion!I hope you don't find iot too hard to see him go.

Interesting to learn that there is a real,live Narglehound in the form of Molly,even if she is bonkers.
    We will have some self indulgent fish and chips from the chippy tonight instead of cooking - bang goes a NSD! However, tonight is DS's last night at home before we take him to uni tomorrow so that's our excuse!

Should get a few more NSDs before the month's end, then will start serious NSD hunting in October, on account of planning for that festival beginning with C that shall not be named.

Hope the fisn and chips were good!

Ah,the dreaded 'c' word.....
    If you are talking about being foolish, ab, then let me tell you what I have told so many folks on here. When it comes to financial messes, I have a degree in Stupidity from the University of Stupidity in Stupidtown.

My OH and I were in a humongous amount of debt, and it is thanks partly to Stepchange and partly to the help of people on this site that we got out of it. Keep looking round the forums, there is always something useful to learn.

I agree.This whole forum was a lifesaver for me when I joined.

I,on the other hand,have an Honours Degree in managing finances. :o
  • marmiterulesok
    Options
    Thanks marmite - think you hit the nail on the head there. My budgeting is definitely getting better. I've only been in the job 2 months and had one payday so far so it's definitely an iterative process. I think once I'm settled on a stable salary and into a routine it'll be much easier.

Re: emergency fund - I've signed up to the emergency fund challenge but not put anything in yet. I'm expecting some funds back from overpaid bills to top that up to about [STRIKE]£20[/STRIKE] - got that money back today and was only £5.90 - better than nothing though. Once I've ditched the overdraft once and for all I'm planning on funding it with the Lloyds save the change tool plus the occasional top up.

NSD # 3 today. :)

Tomorrow should be a low spend day as found out that dinner will be subsidised!

All going well I should end the month with the overdraft below £1000 which would make me so happy. I'm writing a provisional budget for next month but I don't yet know exactly how much I'll be paid- will put it on my diary once it's sorted.

Thank you both for giving a young foolish newbie help and advice!

Isn't this your forst job?I'm sure you said that..in which case,getting finances and udgets sorted is very commendable!

Well done on getting NSD #3 BTW! :D
  • marmiterulesok
    Options
    Today and yesterday were spendy.Tomorrow will hopefully be an nsd.
  • ab_saver
    Options
    Isn't this your forst job?I'm sure you said that..in which case,getting finances and udgets sorted is very commendable!

Well done on getting NSD #3 BTW! :D

Correct - first proper full time job. Feel like this is a good opportunity to pull myself together and set up good habits (and get out of student hole).

Planned spend day today - ran big event then had dinner and drinks with new colleagues. Feel like I have good friends here (I moved a very long way for this job) now so it was worth it. Still hoping for NSDs tomorrow to Tuesday - then Wednesday is payday and (sensible, budgeted) spends begin again....
  • ab_saver
    Options
    NSD #4 today!

I may be about to fall off the NSD wagon as I need to book some things for my upcoming holiday and that may now happen this side of payday.

I also realised that when I started there were 9 days to payday not 10, and included payday in my counting. Payday is definitely NOT going to be an NSD, as going out for dinner after a training afternoon at work (there do seem to have been rather a lot of work dinners out lately...).

My target next month (starting from Wednesday) is going to be 18 NSDs... I do like a challenge!
  • marmiterulesok
    Options
    Correct - first proper full time job. Feel like this is a good opportunity to pull myself together and set up good habits (and get out of student hole).

Planned spend day today - ran big event then had dinner and drinks with new colleagues. Feel like I have good friends here (I moved a very long way for this job) now so it was worth it. Still hoping for NSDs tomorrow to Tuesday - then Wednesday is payday and (sensible, budgeted) spends begin again....

I'm glad it all seems to be working out for you.
    NSD #4 today!

I may be about to fall off the NSD wagon as I need to book some things for my upcoming holiday and that may now happen this side of payday.

I also realised that when I started there were 9 days to payday not 10, and included payday in my counting. Payday is definitely NOT going to be an NSD, as going out for dinner after a training afternoon at work (there do seem to have been rather a lot of work dinners out lately...).

My target next month (starting from Wednesday) is going to be 18 NSDs... I do like a challenge!

Well done on getting #4! :beer:

Just see this as being a training month!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure