No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries in December

Options

Comments

• Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello. I am joining again. Last month was a bad month for me in that I bought some Philosophy stuff, the LIB advent calendar and the Estee Lauder make up artist colour collection. I wondered why I had gone off the rails and then I realised. My mum died recently and this is my first Christmas alone. She always used to make me up a stocking of bath/body products. As soon as I remembered that I realised that I have sort of been buying the presents for myself. So, I won't be hard on myself and I do like what I bought, but I definitely have to stop this as I need to save money and declutter as I want to move next year. I will try and use up at least ten items this month.
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well - I think if I could be a**ed to list all I've got it'll probably be almost as long as indie's
    But I've got more pressing things to do today - lol
    I've managed 2 UU's Estee Lauder re-nutriv sample - WBA when I'm rich! No 7 uplifting Eye Cream - WNBA - too heavy and a TA - Fade Out Facial Redness Remedy - WNBA good for Halloween ;) but Rimmel Hide the Blemish works just as well on thread veins. I might just post my stash instead - all of which seems to be body lotions & hand creams
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • indiepanda
    Options
    A few UU this morning - 3 splutters finally spluttered their last:-

- Jason Jojoba shampoo WMBA - it's good when my scalp is playing up but if I can make myself stay away from dairy the scalp will calm down anyway. (I'm a bit intolerant rather than allergic and overindulgence leads to dry skin and a gippy tummy). Anyway, I have an Akin shampoo that will do the job in the meantime

- Avalon tea tree conditioner WMBA - same reasons as above.

- Korres cedar body lotion. WBA - it's lovely both texture and perfume - but I have at least 2 years of body lotion in stock so will just use my unperfumed body lotion when I want to use the perfume I have which is also cedar based (Serge Lutens Feminite du Bois). Come to that, I have some cedar aromatherapy oil so could always mix some of that with the unperfumed lotion.

I also UU a Lush cherry bath bar. WNBA - for the price it costs for one bath I'd rather buy a posh bottle of bath oil. Lush products just don't make me feel like I am pampering myself. Despite the use of aromatherapy oils a lot of them smell quite artificial and they tend to make a horrendous mess in the bath.

Finally UU two sachets of Aesop Parsley seed treatment - one was empty when I opened it so opened the second too. Not sure if I WBA - it does seem very hydrating but it is very expensive, although you are only meant to use every three days so I guess a bottle would last a while. I like the fact they use lots of aromatherapy oils in their products too.
  • indiepanda
    Options
    silvasava wrote: »
    Well - I think if I could be a**ed to list all I've got it'll probably be almost as long as indie's
    But I've got more pressing things to do today - lol

I put writing it off for AGES - eventually got to the point where I needed a quiet weekend at home after lots of busy ones so did quite a bit of my cataloging while catching up on TV programmes I'd recorded.

Am hoping the investment of time will pay me back in savings over coming months - can't hide from the extent of the problem now!
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hermia wrote: »
    Hello. I am joining again. Last month was a bad month for me in that I bought some Philosophy stuff, the LIB advent calendar and the Estee Lauder make up artist colour collection. I wondered why I had gone off the rails and then I realised. My mum died recently and this is my first Christmas alone. She always used to make me up a stocking of bath/body products. As soon as I remembered that I realised that I have sort of been buying the presents for myself. So, I won't be hard on myself and I do like what I bought, but I definitely have to stop this as I need to save money and declutter as I want to move next year. I will try and use up at least ten items this month.

Hugs to you hon, that must be hard.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Does anyone have the same issue as me? You see someone's list of toiletries and think, ooh i'd like that?

I know what you mean! I have been watching PinkSoFoxy's series of decluttering videos on YouTube where she confronts her make-up buying/hoarding collection and vows not to buy more. I was sort of watching it and thinking how much I would like some of her stuff! Mind you, when she talks about how much that stuff cost it was quite shocking. I was looking through my lip glosses the other day (all except two unopened) and realised I could have had paid for a trip to the theatre and a meal with that money. It is quite shocking to add up how much your stash costs.
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I was trying to match an old Clinique lipstick (Carmen) as its such a good shade for me. Got a Clarins one quite near the colour but Oh Dear - HATE the texture & it doesn't last 5 mins - so that was 16 quid down the drain. At least I managed to keep one of the little brushes they use so I can eke out my old one a bit longer :(
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • emslovesmickey
    Options
    Hermia wrote: »

That must be so hard hon, but, if you think about it, in a subconscious way you are honouring your mother and thinking about the good times you had together. There's nothing in the world wrong with that. :)
  • **tracey**
    Options
    I ended up buying the elemis tsv yesterday despite saying I wouldn't. I will use everthing and it was really good value.
    VSP member #25
  • Motoko_2
    Motoko_2 Posts: 241 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I'm back for December, I will try and put up an upto date list at some point.

Some of the product lists are really long, I love reading them, i'm so very nosey!:rotfl:

Happy Monday everyone:)
    DEBT FREE on the 23rd December 2013 :beer:
    :j :T
    Sealed pot 7 no 1894
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business