Quit everything , and start again over 50?

Options

Comments

• another_casualty
    Options
    Thanks very much harz :)
    The way this was going , it was heading towards the length of my sale last year.
    Funny enough, we mentioned swapping the rooms on the 2nd viewing I had there .
    Yeah, gotta look at home deliveries etc.

Great tip about the locks.Thanks! :)

The good thing is, I'll have time to design the place the way I want it.
  • dreaming
    dreaming Posts: 1,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    All systems go now then AC - good news. Sounds like all the questions have been resolved to your satisfaction. Looking forward to the next chapter.
    Just been for lunch with youngest, and a walk round the shops. All I bought was some potato grow bags in Wilkos - last of the big spenders me! Feel stuffed so will just have some toast or something later on. Feeling very sleepy too with carb overload! Best way to spend a Saturday in my opinion.
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Watching the rugby . Trying to keep awake . Scotland awful :)
  • copperjar
    copperjar Posts: 884 Forumite
    Options
    Glad you've made the decision AC and you're feeling positive. It's a lovely flat and I'm sure you'll be happy there. Exciting times ahead!
    [STRIKE]
    Total debt 1.11.10 £23,446
    [/STRIKE]
    Save £6k in 2015 #129 £6121.66/£6000
    Save £6k in 2016 #39 £6000/£6000
  • harz99
    harz99 Posts: 3,642 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    edited 13 March 2017 at 12:08AM
    Options
    harz99 wrote: »
    AC this may interest you, but if your going to do it make it soon rather than later, and certainly before the Budget on March 8th in case things change.

http://www.hl.co.uk/pensions/sipp/how-much-can-i-invest

Basically invest the total of your earnings this tax year, hold it in cash, the Government will add an extra 20%, then once you reach age 55, move the pot into drawdown, take the maximum lump sum and the rest over however many months you wish from the options.

If you need help go over to the Pensions section of Essential Money on this site, plenty of help there.

Been doing something very similar for my wife who is a non taxpayer and gets £720 extra on £2880 paid in.

The extra you get would pay for those carpets...

AC, you were talking about pensions a little while back?

So you can set up a SIPP before 5th April relating to your this tax year's earnings to 5th April 2017 (getting a fair chunk added from HMRC).

Leave the money in cash in the SIPP then set up a regular drawdown at some point in the future (maybe when you have ascertained that you can/can't work) to provide a monthly income.

The point being that HMRC will add substantially to your "pot" each time you contribute to a SIPP.

However, to benefit from this you need to set up the first SIPP before the end of this month, otherwise as I understand it you will lose the opportunity to base it on your earnings for tax year ended 5th April 2017.

I would take advice from the experts on the Pension pages here as a matter of urgency, they are generally very helpful.

HTH.
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Thanks copperjar & harz !:)
    Thanks for that good bit of advice there harz.
    Pensions are a necessity , but one of the most complicated pita
    to understand . Yes , I will contact someone on the pensions forum this week . It's amazing how many people,even in well paid jobs haven't got a pension . I just realised I have 3 albeit small pensions . The latest being in the job I just left . Roughly about 6 years .
    I have loads of boxfikes in storage , which will probably be reduced to about 4 contains the important things you need . That's another thing I did when I had my head in the sand : I looked at things once and stuck them somewhere to be looked at in the future . Lots of overfilled boxfikes :)

I was getting a bit philosophical this morning .
    I was thinking that in essence , I was flogging myself to death while thinking 'keep the flat . Don't ever leave ' / 'Don't attempt to leave your job
    You'll never get another one . ' / 'Keep going or you'll affect your pension .'
    There were many times when I had a few palpitations every day . Never told anyone . Even the doctor . When I first got told of high blood pressure , I refused to acknowledge it . That was back in July 2011. Just before my birthday in the same year , I took the medication at the time . It was only one tablet 5mg. Nothing in the scheme of things .
    Combine everything ,and it just come down to 'the future' 'stick it out .'

Thankfully, I've been very lucky and have been able to do something about it . I feel for those who can't . It's like those adverts on tv . They tell us we should plan for our own funeral . Grave situation etc.

While I will obviously have one eye on the future ( the other one is weak ),
    I have gone back to being calm , and aim to be that way as much as possible . Sure think about the future , but don't let it ruin or takeover your life :)
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 12 March 2017 at 6:30PM
    Options
    Great post there, AC. So good to see you sounding so much more positive. It's all about balance, yes plan for the future but at the same time enjoy the present. And yes whilst it sounds daft, "gratitude" is so important. We all get down at times - I had a very sad few days a couple of weeks ago... but deep down I know that I am fortunate. And I usually bounce back fairly quickly.

A glorious day here, a really Lovely spring day. I have spent a happy hour or so in the garden, repotting some shrubs and having a general tidy up, clearing up winter debris.

Am now lounging in my zero gravity recliner, resting my aching back.

I am in a sunny sheltered spot in the garden soaking up the sun and just "chillin" and chatting to my boyfriend GAbriel. White blonde hair, piercing blue eyes, gleaming white teeth and a honey golden skin, tall and handsome as befits his Viking heritage. (He's Lithuanian)

.........and at just 4 years old an absolute heartbreaker. ;)

Ha ha.....had you going there.....

DS2 is on catering duties today -I think he's finally caught the cooking bug :j so I'm just enjoying the chAnce to soak up a few rays. Will try and summon Up the energy to go for a walk.

I need to get my step count up. Got the itinerary for the Baltic cruise. St Petersburg means a LOT of walking and hundreds of steps. I've got 8 weeks to get fit enough.......

AC. Definitely take a look at that SIPP Harz told you about. It's a good deal if you are eligible. I looked at it for myself but unfortunately it's not right for me but i would think it would suit your circumstances very well.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I second Harzs advice re SIPP. I have just done this myself as I am still working part time so put £8k in which will be maxed to £10k in March by HMRC. I will do the same for 2017-2018 after April but as I am only working unti December when I retire early it will be a lower amount. Don't forget to allow for your pension contributions from last April until October.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • harz99
    harz99 Posts: 3,642 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    edited 13 March 2017 at 12:04AM
    Options
    I second Harzs advice re SIPP. I have just done this myself as I am still working part time so put £8k in which will be maxed to £10k in March by HMRC. I will do the same for 2017-2018 after April but as I am only working unti December when I retire early it will be a lower amount. Don't forget to allow for your pension contributions from last April until October.

I'm no expert but this just seems a no brainer to do, even if AC only holds the SIPP money in cash, and then when the HMRC payment is made and he is 55 (December?), takes the tax free lump sum, and arranges monthly drawdown within his tax allowance to keep it tax free until all the cash has been returned to him.
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Thanks again . :)
    I will go to pensions board in a moment .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure