We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream fund challenge part 4

Options

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Great wee chicks CTC.:T Let's hope they're not all cockerels! Wish we could have a few more youngsters, but there's not the time to do it properly this year.:(

Hope Mum is on the mend today, alfie. She'll probably be glad they just got on with it now. :)

DW is back from her travels, so the pressure's off me again :D, though I'm still all behind in the polytunnel, house, chicken house and fields. I've been doing bits to all.

The rain stopped me finishing the field's second spray, made necessary by the large number of thistles which popped up. They must've been there waiting, because for the past 4 years or so, no thistles have been allowed to set seed. Mind you the odd ragwort still appears and none of those has been tolerated either. :(

With targeted spraying, more than 95% of the field will be untouched in a normal year, and like rozee, I'm seeing more wild flowers than ever. I think the field was over-grazed in the past, which might explain why new plants are springing-up.

I wonder if my buttercups are the 'meadow' variety? Probably just 'creeping!':rotfl:
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    hi all..
    mums still in hospital...they want to make sure her blood pressure is ok. should be out tomorrow .
    I cannot fault the hospital and staff. they have been amazing, thorough and kind to mum. :A

I went to see dad after mum today but he was sound asleep and I didn't like to wake him..:o

didn't get any of my gardening jobs done today,:( just seemed to have been driving in all directions all day.
    called into tip "shop" on way home and got 5 matching lampshades [big ones] in a lovely stone coloured linen. virtually brand new !! £3 :D

I feel shattered, didn't sleep brilliant last night, knew mum in good hands but she looked so poorly when I left her ... 100% better today :D

gonna sleep for England tonight :rotfl:
  • lucielle
    lucielle Posts: 10,736 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Glad mum is looking better.
    L
    Total Debt Dec 07 £59875.83 Overdrafts £2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!!:j 08/06/2013
    Lucielle's Daring Debt Free Journey
    DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
  • alfie_1
    First Post
    Options
    lucielle wrote: »
    Glad mum is looking better.
    L
    thankyou and nice to see you back :D I know you hadn't "gawn" but you know what I mean..:rotfl:
  • Davesnave
    Options
    Good news about your Mum, alfie. :j Expect you'll sleep better tonight. Hope so. :)

I'm a bit grumpy today, for an unusual reason, namely that my favourite Radio Devon presenter, Judi Spiers, has been given the push by the management. This, not long after Devonian, Matt Woodley, was similarly dismissed and the awful Simon Bates parachuted-in to fll an early morning slot.

Yeah, I know, First World problem, but local radio is important, and by that I mean light-hearted but intelligent entertainment that reflects the region, not advert-ridden dross pumped out in between the chart toppers. The trouble with Judi might have been that she did quite a lot of in-depth interviews and played unusual or 'difficult' music. Typically, she signed-off with Leonard Cohen's 'Anthem.'

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/leonardcohen/anthem.html

Well, sod them. I might still tune in to David Sheppard, who is vaguely entertaining later afternoon, but their token gay boy around lunch time gets on my nerves, and so do most of t'others come to that! :p:p:p:p:p
  • choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Alfie - pleased that Mum is on the mend. You are a good daughter & guinea pig feeder.

Thanks Dave for the rope tip - I will bear that in mind. There seems to be so many things to do, buy, track down & such dwindling pennies to make it happen, but we are moving onwards slowly.

The bathroom i looking pretty swanky, too posh for such trailer trash as myself.
    The weather is disgustingly bad - 10 degrees & torrential, monsoon type downpours. Given up on outdoors, garden etc as it' all so sodden, midgied & pointless.

The stove thing is difficult. I think the Wenlocks are the same as AGA, but much cheaper - sure I was told that by a stove man.
    I love my hand made stove that is about 30 years old & has saved u from freezing to death in the caravan, but it' a metal box that does look a bit ruff ruff, but it is so efficient & a good flat top that has a kettle on & has cooked many a stew & pot of soup.
    Had a bit of a do with a woman in Thailand who bought something & now wants a partial refund - what a con artist. Ebay i going through a very slow spell & loads of problems with sales - grrrrrrrrr.
    Beautiful red sky this evening o maybe we will get a good day tomorrow - hope so.
  • Davesnave
    edited 27 June 2015 at 7:26AM
    Options
    choille wrote: »
    Beautiful red sky this evening so maybe we will get a good day tomorrow - hope so.

I hope so too. You've had the remains of that tropical storm, while all we got herte was a smattering; equally no good to us, as the land is pretty parched.:(

And next week there is suppose to be a mini heatwave.....I'm so glad we're not metered.

The Wenlock stoves are Aga now. Whether they were in the past I don't know, but they seem quite reasonably priced. There have been lots of take-overs. For example Woodwarm, which used to be a local company here, is now part of Metal Developments, who are about as switched-on as their name. Parts difficulties now, says my man in the trade.

The Wenlocks are a little too olde worlde for us, but we want to avoid the sort of glass box thing with three windows stuck to the wall, which is what I think lir was talking about. We just want something efficient with simple, clean lines. Like this maybe...but not with a stupid, white rug!!!:rotfl:

mendip-8kw-defra-multifuel-stove_01.jpg
    On the subject of rope, it might not matter if you use jute indoors for a handrail, as it won't be subject to weather. Outdoors, we found it had a limited life.
  • alfie_1
    First Post
    Options
    hi all...
    just having a breather before I launch myself into "today".. ;)

choille..... could you not re-use your faithfull likkle stove somewhere? even if its in a verandah style setting [safely!] . I always feel sorry for items that have been indispensable in their time and then replaced :( :rotfl:
    re rope-- how thick do you need it and how long/colour.. I happened to have an "admirer" who works in a marina :D
    pain in the butt cos a few years back I had the whole set up of rope/brass ended with wall loops :o

dave.... I know what you mean re the radio. our local station is brilliant, always making me giggle and informative, good local traffic info etc. really bugs me when I drive out of their zone .. 2/3 up M3 and almost as far as LIR's.. her hills get in the way ;)

right im off to see dad then pick up mum. sadly have to tell dad his elderly sister [in nursing home in Carlisle] has passed on :( she was 90 and went quietly in her sleep , was sort of expected and they weren't really close.. but its still a bummer..

by this afternoon I will be ready to take down the 2 fir trees and enjoy yelling TIMBER so's half of Hampshire hears me !:rotfl:
  • alfie_1
    First Post
    Options
    p.s.
    the BAY is getting itself in a knot now.. what with them putting their %fees on postage? this no quibble refunds? etc etc even splitting from paypal which worries me a tad that £'s will get lost in translation !

if the bay issues a refund then I think it will be a problem when they communicate ? with paypal... wrong digit etc.
    also the "experts" will work it to their advantage and lets face it there are "customers" out there that could milk an ant !
    I would put a disclaimer on your adds saying something like" please read description carefully before you bid, as I do not do refunds"
  • choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Dave - the stove glass box thing seems ubiquitous. They are so ugly. & German looking deign wise. There's a gap in the market.

Our ole faithful Scroggie stove will be kept in the van as I think I'll keep using the van as an office & keep it warmed up to stop damp - am also toying with the idea of 'woofers', but will need to do the place up.

We will need about 9 M of rope as the stair turns. I would love a natural looking colour, but would accept owt as I can paint it I think???!!!!

Lie in today & is dry at the moment but dark grey clouds. The sea - ie fish, lobsters etc are about 6 weeks behind according to a fisherman tat OH does work for.

Ebay is really bad at the moment. I have piles of stuff listed but few sales & loads of probs with buyers.

My keyboard S's don't type easily - think I need a new one, but it's connected to the laptop.

Gonna put a first coat on the bathroom today.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback