Real-life MMD: Should I tell my husband that his new client's my horrid ex?

Options

Comments

• Mouseboy007
    Options
    SVW wrote: »
    I think that you should tell your husband everything about your relationship with your ex, calmly and unemotionally

^ that

If it were my new business and you were my wife i'd probably make my decision based on what you mean by 'treated you badly':

If that means that he cheated on you, lazed around the house and spent every weekend with friends crashed out on your sofa or him crashed out on theirs after an evening down the pub then I'd probably put it into context and decide how much I think that will impact the new business relationship (probably not a great deal).

If it means he was manipulative and sadistic, always looking for some kind of revenge and living his own psycho-drama, making financial promises he didn't keep (like paying his dues on time /rent/bills etc) then I might look at the likely impact to my business as being potentially disrupting and have to determine whether losing your ex's business or keeping his business is the greater risk.

Could the OP come back and define 'treated me badly' please?

Also, Martin, if you're reading this - could you maybe ensure that MMD's in future have a bit more information. What's next week's?

"My friend did something. Should I stop being their friend?".
  • philfuller
    Options
    You need to be upfront w yr husband and give him all the info re the previous relationship. Professionals often have to deal w people they dont like but its their job.

If your ex knows who yr husband is their may need to be a fair degree of due diligence to ensure ex isn't getting back at you through him.

Not easy but in the worse case there will be other clients!

ATB

Phil
  • elizabethhull
    Options
    Absolutely yes ! But 'horrid' is subject to interpretation and context; he might be a pig of a partner but perfectly satisfactory as a client.

Presumably your husband knew something of your past, along the lines of 'My last boyfriend was horrid but you're nothing like him, you're wonderful', (wildly paraphrasing here !!!)

Don't people ever communicate? 90% of these so-called dilemmas would disappear if people actually talked to each other.

Just say,'Oh that's my ex - you know, the one I used to go out with before I met you' and leave it there. It will probably come out anyway, and hubby is prepared. If he doesn't wish to do business with him, it will be his own choice.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I agree. Tell your husband, make it clear to him that you are *not* asking or expecting him to turn the contract down, but that you wanted him to have a heads-up.

Also, (depending on your husband's business and the nature of your ex's unpleasantness) decide on whether you would be willing to meet him socially (for instance, if your husband hosted a BBQ for his clients) or have him know where you live (if our husband ever works from home) and make sure your husband knows how you feel, so you can avoid any potentially difficult situations.

I would only see this as an issue where your husband might not want to continue dealing with this man if your ex has a history of financial unreliability *and* is entering into a contract with your husband in his personal capacity - if your ex is simply a manager or other employee at the organisation which your husband is working for then even that wouldn't be a problem.

In either case, it is helpful for your husband to know to make sure that he is particularly careful to document everything so that his records and so are are irreproachable. But of course he should be doing that in every case anyway ;-)
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • pennypinchUK
    Options
    Why are you wasting time asking for other peoples' opinions? Of course you should tell your husband. Out of simple loyalty to you, your husband should immediately sever his links with this person. If he doesn't, then you're entitled to the view he considers money more important than your relationship.

Now get off MSE and immediately tell your husband to cancel the contract.
  • cazpost
    cazpost Posts: 109 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tell him everything, as calmly as you can. As many have already said,'horrid' is a very subjective term. What he did to you and what he would do in business are two entirely different things. Your husband shouldn't turn down the work just because the client is your ex. He should only turn down the job if he fels unable to work with the man,or that he might not get paid. It is quite likely that someone else will tell your husband about the connection,so it will be better to be open about it now.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,558 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    scotsbob wrote: »
    I would suggest you stick to being a wife and leave your husband to run his business.
    Why are you wasting time asking for other peoples' opinions? Of course you should tell your husband. Out of simple loyalty to you, your husband should immediately sever his links with this person. If he doesn't, then you're entitled to the view he considers money more important than your relationship.

What a spectrum of opinions!
  • Mouseboy007
    Options

Or conversely he's entitled to the view that schoolground politics are an ineffectual, if not hilarious, way to run a business
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think you should give your husband all the facts; secrets have a nasty habit of becoming known at the worst possible time, and depending upon what your ex did that was "horrid",if this one became known at a later point, it could cause more trouble than if you tell your husband now.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • shehen23
    Options
    What does it matter if this ex was 'horrid' or not, whether you shared a home or just had a single date? To not mention to your husband that you know his new client is weird and doesn't bode well for your relationship.

Many years ago husband and I once went to a club where we met up with a large crowd. Some were friends and others we didn't know. I spent most of the night chatting to a woman who was the cousin of a friend. A week later I found out she was my husband's ex and I have to say I was absolutely furious. I liked the girl and wouldn't have had a problem with her ex status if I'd have known but the fact I spent a whole evening in her company and I was virtually the only person there who didn't know made me feel embarassed and foolish. I know he didn't tell me at the time just because he felt a bit awkward about it but he now knows (we've been married 21 years) honesty is definitely the best policy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure