Warning re 24/7 Home Rescue

Options

Comments

• zzzatang
    zzzatang Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    1) The sales person lied to me saying unlike their competition 247home rescue will never increase monthly direct debit amount regardless of number of claims made in the next 24 months. However, within 6 month they raised my monthly direct debit by 37.5% .
    2) That is 3 months after declaring my fully functional boiler as BEYOND ECONOMICAL REPAIR and that they will not repair or support it!
    3) I was told I could challenge this decision, get the boiler repaired by local GAS SAFE engineer and claim the costs. The boiler worked after the repairs but my claim was not responded to over 6 months. When i chased multiple times I was given some unacceptable reason why they declined that claim. I gave up, as its really
    4) They kept taking the increased monthly direct debit even though they had no intention to repair or support my boiler.
    5) Their cancellation staff is very unhelpful and rude.
    6) Told me I cannot give them even 14 days’ notice to cancel the policy and that I have to call only after the policy has been active for at least 12 months. I said the policy is 11.5 months old and that I want you to cancel on the 366th day which is about 15 days from the day I called. He declined to take such cancellation request.
    7) When I told them that you sold this policy stating there wont be any prices hikes for next 24 months but you have raised prices in the first 6 months, they bluntly told me that is in their terms and conditions and there is nothing I could do. I highlighted that the only reason I purchased their policy was the promise of no hikes for 24 months, the guys still insisted that the T&C’s allow raising prices. What a bunch of thugs and liars. Completely unethical company
    8) I had an electrical issue, where the RCD was tripping every few minutes. Their electrician came and said there will have to be thorough test required. But nothing happened after that …! I had to get a local electrician who found a loose connection in few minutes and fixed the fault in no time.
    I have paid money and got barely anything in return. Rather I have spent more time and effort to get anything done from them than they have spent on my issues. Hopeless company.
  • bradderscj
    Options
    Without repeating what so many others have already said if you are thinking about using this company DON'T but if you want to waste your money read the small print. Basically the policy is useless if you try to claim or complain don't bother unless you want to fork out even more money. As others have said they are bordering on criminal
  • DarkShadow
    DarkShadow Posts: 180 Forumite
    Options
    Seems like 247 are the likes of Aldi/Lidl
    Bank accounts
    Santander : 17 year relationship, 0 problems to date.
  • Rob_Wright
    Options
    Not honouring contract
    Service Contract no: WS0100879.
    Service contract plan commencement date 10/08/16
    Excess amount £0

Very poor Service contact & contract not honoured
    Since taking Landlord boiler cover on several properties during the last year, I've had several poor experiences in contacting the dept.’s and obtaining services including trying to book the annual gas safety checks! This resulted in myself having to organise independent gas service engineers. I have recently had a fault on a boiler which took 8 days to respond. I have now been told I need to pay £235 for a controller? which I disputed. I told 247 this is covered as it’s a main boiler part; the response I got from the Claims Manager was unbelievable!! He said "it’s at our absolute sole discretion" and we won’t be covering this item. Now I've read the other reviews and seen similar issues, I just feel sorry for some who might just (elderly) trust 247 and pay-up. I have since reviewed the boiler manual (as I'm an Engineer myself) and there's no part called a controller, so I phoned 247 back and enquired for more detail, they now tell me it’s a Programmer??? Either way they still won’t honour the contract and I feel they are now avoiding my calls to try and sort this issue out. I was also really disappointed during a call with the Claims Manager when I said I would be cancelling all my contracts, to which he replied "well you will have to pay a cancellation fee and the engineers’ fee for this work”!!! Through experience I feel this company does not have adequate and correct staffing levels at the call centres , I have also found out they don’t actually employ any Engineers, they contract out the work, no wonder there's delays. But above all this the most annoying thing is they are obviously willing to make up reasons to avoid honouring their contract details and actually repair the fault.
    AVOID AVOID AVOID.
  • Irfan_Mahmood
    Options
    Dishonest, Awful, Incompetent, Negligent

When taking out the policy, I explained to Lucy that we have 2 Disabled people in the house. One of them is terminally ill and the other receives palliative care. I was promised an urgent response to any emergency.
    When I called with a loss of hot water, I was told that someone would call me in 30 minutes. THEY DIDN'T. I called after 2 hours and was told that the claim had been approved and that an Engineer would be in touch within 24 hours. THEY DIDN'T. I continued to call until 48 hours later I was told that the Engineer had been on a gas leak and that the law requires the Engineer to stay at the property until it is resolved.
    I asked why nobody had called - I was told that it was a breakdown in communication.
    I asked if all 3000 of the gas engineers (stated on their website) were at the same gas leak - silence.
    The Engineer called almost 72 hours after my first call.
    He said he doesn't work at the weekend and was only made aware of the call today. He said his company only learned about the call 24 hours ago and they've responded in 'their' 24 hour policy. He said he has not been on a gas leak.
    Seems like 24/7 Home Rescue are telling LIES LIES LIES. Above all else, COMPLETELY IGNORE the nonsense on their website that says:
    # We aim to respond in 4 hours - it's nonsense
    # We have 3000 Gas Engineers - they don't seem to have any
    # We are 24/7 - my first engineer call has been 72 hours after we reported a loss of hot water
    Finally, the Engineer tells me that a new Diverter Valve is required, which will be ordered tomorrow and scheduled to arrive in a further 24 hours. Then, it should be fitted within another 24 hours. Yup; it's a 7 day service, not a 24/7 service! (Assuming, of course that things happen as the Engineer has said).

If you're vulnerable or require prompt, HONEST OR PROFESSIONAL service, avoid 247 Home Service at any cost. Don't be drawn in by their cheap prices on comparison websites - we pay £30 per month for their very highest level of service, which hasn't amounted to anything when we require a 24/7 Home Rescue Service. The price we pay is equivalent to the highest level of service offered by British Gas whom have provided me with excellent service in the past. If only Lucy hadn't presuadued me to move!
    Oh, one other thing, I recorded all my calls and made detailed contemporaneous notes. I urge you to do the same if you are already in contract with them.
  • akkum
    akkum Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 24 October 2018 at 9:18AM
    Options
    This sound like {Text removed by MSE Forum Team}. When my boiler went wrong Called them they came up and said some part is required and will fix in next couple of days. After couple of day received a call that problem cannot be fixed as it will cost £560 which less than your valuation of boiler. Till now it was ok. I asked them can you send me the detail of the job you have to do and cost will incur? They mentioned in call saying for security reason this detail cannot be sent. I had to do formal complain about why you are sending the detail of the work you have to do? also if any CORGI Register Gas safe engineer comes and fix in less price or diagnose different problem and fix it. will you take responsibilty? they are saying NO.

They are not replying my formal complain. Also THEY ARE NOT REGULATED FINANCIAL CONDUCT AUTHORITY. They are independent.

I had to talk to Financial Obudsman, Energy Obudsman. They cannot deal with this.

BIG CATCH IS If you call for service or make a small claim, you are tied up with another 12 months contract. you cannot cancel until next one year. If you make a claim again in Next 12 months, The cancellation will be void.

{Text removed by MSE Forum Team} Playing with normal people.
  • shutupurface
    Options
    :eek: I too am a 24/7 Home Rescue Customer. After reading all the reviews regarding their shocking customer service, I now realize what I have personally experienced so far, that I ain't going mad after all. It has left me slightly concerned as to what kind of boiler service I will receive. I booked an annual service check via their website which I cannot get until April!!. My renewal is in May 2017 for another year, I can honestly say I won't be renewing, it can't come quick enough :(
  • Sally_Dodsley
    Options
    Just want to add to the growing list of complaints about this organisation - what an absolutely dreadful service and potentially a scam. I should've known better - cheap cover for the boiler basically means that we aren't really covered at all. I so wish that I had found this thread and read these reviews before moving providers.

Our boiler broke down last Friday and an engineer was dispatched to come and have a look at the problem. However, this cost £95 - not a call out charge, an excess charge apparently. However, seeing as they wouldn't dispatch an engineer until I paid this fee, I struggle to see this as an excess - how can it be an excess when they don;t know what the problem is? It's essentially a call out charge really isn't it. Nonetheless, desperate times, I just want it fixing, so paid the fee and the engineer arrived that afternoon. He spent about 5 minutes looking at the boiler, gave it a bang and then said he's order the new parts.

Monday morning and the company have just called to tell me that the cost of the parts outweighs the cost of the boiler, they actually only cover 60% of the total cost of the boiler apparently, and 24/7 have therefore terminated my contract. The extremely helpful (!!!) adviser has also just told me I need to go & buy a new boiler. Well, I'll just pop down to that money tree I have at the bottom of the garden and go right ahead and do that. In fact, I might buy several, in a range of colours!

To add insult to injury, I've just logged to my bank account to cancel any further direct debits and found that the company has taken another payment today.

This organisation is a complete and total rip off, don't be fooled by the cheap monthly payments, you get exactly what you pay for, in fact possibly a bit less.

Gutted and freezing!
  • Dad_of_Max
    Options
    When signing up for the service last September, I told the sales adviser that our boiler was 17 years old - something that was confirmed in the confirmation letter - and no mention was made of any extra cost implications of the age of the boiler. I also took out a nil excess policy, which was similarly confirmed in the subsequent letter. The letter included no plain English summary of the service or contract, merely telling me to read the many pages long Terms & Conditions.

When the boiler broke down in late-January (ie yesterday), the response was that my claim was rejected by the system and so they could not arrange an engineer to contact me unless and until I paid a £75 excess charge - and when I challenged it the response was bluntly "Its' in the T&Cs" and when I said that had not been pointed out in the correspondence the rejoinder was "It's not my responsibility to tell you what is in the terms and conditions" and effectively reiterated the ultimatum - pay £75 or I can do no more other than close down the call as I have other people to deal with.

You are only able to speak to a manager by placing a callback request which means that they weill endeavour to call back in the next 48 hrs, but that is not guaranteed and, having read the other posts, I am not holding my breath! Talking to a supervisor simply results in a repeat of the 'script' adopted by the call handler, who similarly closes the call once they have reiterated 24|7's position.

When calling retentions / cancellations today, seeking a cancellation and refund of the subscriptions paid to date on the grounds of an unfair contract, the curt response is that a refund cannot be made and any cancellation (despite not having made any call on their services) requires my prior approval to pay any fees due in the next 30 days - and I was warned that if the direct debit were to be unilaterally cancelled by me that the matter would be passed to the debt enforcement team who would take action such that costs for me would accrue (implicitly a threat to damage your credit score and to add extra charges). During the next 30 days, no claims would be entertained - so you pay but have no service! If I did not agree to pay a further 30 days'subcription, the contract would run and they would continue to collect the direct debit

Finally, beware of the service you are likely to get if you make a claim - all that 24|7 do is arrange for an engineer to call you 'within the next 24 hrs' to offer you an appointment but without any guarantee of the timescale that offer of an appointment might be within. If the engineer fails to call you within 24 hrs, 24|7 say they will find another engineer to call you, again in the following 24 hrs.

Clearly, 24|7 have no directly employed or managed engineers - they simply pass on your requirement to self-employed engineers.

In summary:
    - unclear contracts
    - unfair contract terms
    - probable extra costs on any call out
    - seemingly no directly employed or managed engineers, merely self-employed contractors
    - no guarantee as to when an engineer might be at your home to fix your boiler
    - non-existent customer service, who will readily cut off your call if you raise any concerns
    - inability to speak to anyone who will take your concerns seriously

I have passed on my concerns about unfair practice and contracts to Trading Standards - I'd urge you to do likewise if you have had similar experiences, as maybe 24|7 will take heed of them even if it treats its customers with contempt

AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE!!
  • annamarie23
    Options
    What a scam, 24/7 home rescue well it took 2 days for an engineer to come out plus we had to pay £75 excess on top of our monthly instalment, an engineer came out diagnosed the problem with our boiler and told us he needed to order the parts. We then got a call from 24/7 who told us we had to pay £245 to get it repaired . We took out cover to prevent us from paying big repair bills. The customer service is non existent and the staff are very unhelpful and rude stay away from this company
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback