Ja-NEW-ary 2013 - Take your lunch to work thread

Options

Comments

• Candlewick
    Options
    kittiej

I love stuffing!!

I have already tried the tuna / mayo / onion on brown which is yummy and although I like sweetcorn, I am not keen on it in a sandwich.

I also like to have a bag of crisps with my lunch (so will buy multipack in supermarket instead of buying daily).

Summer is easier for me although again it tails off after midweek as I do enjoy salad although mine never seems as healthy as it should be because I am a big mayo fan :o. My only saving grace is that the mayo I buy has recently changed to the 'light' version.

One thing I do is keep a box of cereal in my cupboard under the pretence that I will eat those instead of buying lunch on the days I don't make it but when lunch time arrives I don't fancy it! Also, cereal and crisps don't really go together! lol

I can almost see where I am going wrong.....!

CW
    NSD Challenge 2015: Jan 20 / 20 (2 x 5 in-a-row) / Feb 5 / 12 (4 in-a-row) :D

Lesson learnt from 2012: I cannot be trusted to credit card stooze!

Barclaycard at 2 / 02 / 2015 [STRIKE]£4,600[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£4540[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£4250[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£4000[/STRIKE] £3250 need to pay it off by 08 / 2015 before mortgage completion
  • kittiej
    kittiej Posts: 2,564 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No candlewick I can see the cereal and crisps thing so not working :rotfl:and re the mayo - this isn't a shouty "Oi you, yes you sat there eating that mayo, just what do you think you're doing? Drop the mayo, put your hands on your head and walk away from the mayo" type of thread :D

If you are happy eating mayo then who am I to say you shouldn't so don't worry.

We need some really funky recipes, crisp sarnies are always good though.
    Karma - the consequences of ones acts."It's OK to falter otherwise how will you know what success feels like?"1 debt v 100 days £2000
  • quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm not joining just noseying i'm a sahm so i eat at home most days anyway, i just wanted to say thank you to Tiglath i love pate and didn't relise tesco did one so cheap :)

Also i have a few suggestions to perk up you cheese sandwichs, cheese and caramelised onion cutney is lovely, tesco do a jar for £1.29 and it lasts ages (yes you could make it but the onions reduce alot and taking into account the cost of heating,sugar and your time this is one thing i think buying yourself is better) or grated cheese, mushed up egg, diced onion and mixed in with mayo,- so really egg mayo with cheese, is really yummy, lidl do the nicest mayo :)
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • kittiej
    Options
    Thanks for the input qt, you're welcome to have a nose anytime you like (esp. when you've got such yummy ideas to share :))
    Karma - the consequences of ones acts."It's OK to falter otherwise how will you know what success feels like?"1 debt v 100 days £2000
  • Fluffpuff
    Options
    Ooo Could I join please! I work 5 days per week and currently spend about 25.00 a month on dinners. As I want to lose weight after new year I have decided to take in cereal or soup. Cereal I like costs about 2.00 and could last a full week maybe a week and a half x
    Make extra money January 2013: £4.40 / £30
    Free bingo winnings 2013: £0 / Pay ALL debt in 2013 member 044: £854.44 / £3770 :j Lose 22lbs in 5 months: 0 / 22 :j
  • 415SanFran
    Options
    If anyone has a m@rris@ns near to them go to the deli counter and they sell offcuts of meat which is really cheap and you get a really good mixture.
    Anyone that hasn't got a lot of time in the mornings or uses that as an excuse, could freeze sandwiches for the week or buy/make pasties, sausage rolls, and take them out in the morning.
    As the weather starts to get nicer, the local park is a good place to take lunch rather than staying at your desk.
    Ebay 13 ;)........1583.46/2000.00 Amazon sales 54/50 Etsy sales 63/50
    Amazon 14.......4/50 Etsy14............46/75. Ebay........23/200
  • iwilldoitthistime
    Options
    Hi can I join too pleeeese??

Im not a meat eater either, so any good suggestions for a change from cheese sarnies would be great! Im also trying to lose weight and eat healthier from next week, so am aiming to avoid bread (if possible) because Ive been told Im wheat intolerant, so Im willing to give it a go :)

I probably spend about a fiver a week on lunches - Im all good intentioned at the beginning of the week, but usually cave in by the end of the week when the lure of the sandwich counter takes over.....
    Sealed Pot no 2011 :D
  • quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    kittiej wrote: »
    Thanks for the input qt, you're welcome to have a nose anytime you like (esp. when you've got such yummy ideas to share :))

Thanks i'll def pop in and out for a nosey.

Not very healthy but tesco value frozen sausage rolls are seriously yummy, my freezer broke a month ago and i cooked up 4 bags of them so 200, but only slightly over 100 cooked ones made it to the freezer because we kept all pinching them while they cooled!!! There 88p for a bag of 50, and a regular lunch here for me.
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • kittiej
    edited 29 December 2012 at 4:12PM
    Options
    Hi Fluffpuff how much savings do you want me to put you down for? What about £20 for the month as you might want to have a little bit of a variety other than cereals alone? Let me know.

Thanks 415SanFran I didn't know that about Morrisons thanks for your other suggestion too. I work opposite a river and many people sit on the riverbank on the one dry day known as summer. Personally I never would because I've seen the wildlife and whilst the ducks are cute the other things running around with long tails aren't! (sorry if there are any rat lovers)

Iwditt welcome as well. Is it possible for you to make your own bread? We need some really good soup and salad suggestions too for those unable to eat bread/ wheat etc.

qt, great to know about another value product which people like, there's nothing worse than buying things and finding they are horrid. Sorry to hear about the freezer btw, have you replaced it yet? Just thinking you might bag a bargain in the sales :)
  • skipsmum
    skipsmum Posts: 707 Forumite
    Options
    just realised I will need to take the cost of packed lunches off my total...duh!
    I only ever eat cheese sarnies and soup, so I'm going to get a soup flask, thanks Kittiej!
    So I need to make soup, will go and ask on the OS board about that one, but I'm sure its quite cheap. And my cheese sandwiches are pretty cheap too.

My big spend is on tea in the canteen £1 a cup three times a day. We aren't allowed a kettle. I bought a flask but it doesn't keep hot very long so I need to either drink less tea :eek: or get a decent flask.
    With Sparkles! :happylove And Shiny Things!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure