lets get back to basics... starting with the butcher

Options

Comments

• Rosie1978
    Options
    Thank you, I found this thread really useful. I am totally lost in a butchers!

I grew up in a mostly veggie household and only started eating meat myself about 10 years ago, so this is all new to me and I DO find it very intimidating. Our village butchers closed but it was quite expensive. There is one in the town near me soI'm going to go come payday!

Can anyone advise me - what do I ask for if I want to make a beef casserole? Stewing steak? (basic, I know but as I say I'm lost here..)

CheltenhamGal - With oxtail, does it have bone in it? Is it very fatty? Presume you chop itup then brown it before you slow cook it?

Thank you :o
  • koolkatsaffi
    Options
    In light of all the recent reports regarding the true origins of many meat products I am just sooooo glad I am a veggie! :j

But even I have had knowledge for several years about the 'ear-holes & a*se-holes 'meat' that is in various food products on shop shelves.

I was brought up vegetarian and at 46 peeps still take the p*ss about me lacking in some way because of it. :p I have never got on me soapbox or rattled a tambourine in the name of vegetarianism as I personally believe it, like most things in life is a personal choice and although I was raised veggie, my kids were always given meat and non meat dishes & as adults they eat a pretty healthy diet :D

There was even some mention of Quorn - a meat substitute - being somehow contaminated ( I've never really understood veggies who feel the need to eat meat substitutes :huh: )

The guess the only way to really know what is in your food is do like COOLTRIKERCHICK and find yourself a quality butcher and grow as much of your own produce as possible. Learn how to cook, bake, preserve and make bread and pass these 'lost' home skills on to your kids - both female AND male ;)

YOU are in control of what you eat! Take the reins! ( NEIGH! :p ) :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

:heartpuls Gains & £'s saved..Far too many to mention! Needless to say I LOVE MSE! :heartpuls

'Smile in the face of adversity..Whilst thinking where you can bury the bodies'

Area representative for National Association for Bikers with a Disability A cripple is a person who thinks a disabled person cannot ride a motorcycle :)
  • cheltenhamgal
    Options
    http://www.morrisons.co.uk/Market-Street/Market-Street-Butcher/

There is a virtual butcher on their website that you can ask questions
  • PennyForThem_2
    Options
    Rosie1978 wrote: »
    Can anyone advise me - what do I ask for if I want to make a beef casserole? Stewing steak? (basic, I know but as I say I'm lost here..)

Thank you :o

Shin - I would make this 10-20% of your ingredient. Good shin will show some gelatinous bits/blobs. Sometimes there is a thin membrane around the outside (shin comes cut in rounds - like a circle) I would remove that unless going for long long cooking.

Chuck steak/ stewing steak/ blade - I would ask for it in a piece - can be all the rest of your stew ingredient. You can then cut it to whatever size you want and remove what you want too.

Skirt - thick if you can get it. This is very lean or possibly marbled. Good for big pieces. Substitute for the above chuck etc or use a mix.

(Waitrose unfortunately only do thin skirt - least my branch)

Ox cheek is beef - it is quite tough and must be slow cooked in a stew. However you can cut into quite small chunks and it will sort of melt in. Cheek is cheap - Waitrose sell it. I think it does the same sort of job as shin in that it thickens and gives flavour to the 'gravy'

You can use brisket, silverside etc but only if you get those reduced - otherwise I would rather braise as piece (pot roast).

I usually cook a 3kg stew - often a goulash - as it freezes well. I will slow cook for several hours. One trick I have is to cook for 3 hours then turn off oven and leave in overnight. If you do this you may find meat doesn't hold its shape but the taste is wonderful.

You can also cook on a ring as well - it does not have to be the oven. Gentle, gentle simmer. Or there are slow cookers too though I haven't tried one of them.

I am going to try the oxtail receipe above. Sounds good.
  • Almo
    Almo Posts: 631 Forumite
    Options

There was even some mention of Quorn - a meat substitute - being somehow contaminated ( I've never really understood veggies who feel the need to eat meat substitutes :huh: )

I'm not veggie but have had several discussions with veggie friends who eat quorn and those who don't. If you are vegetarian for ethical reasons then why wouldn't you use meat substitutes? I know plenty of veggies who liked meat but couldn't reconcile the eating of meat with their morals.

I also know veggie friends who will use meat substitutes only when feeding others - friends who might be fussy about vegetables or pulses so will happily chow down on a quorn curry but not a chickpea curry.

Finally, I know veggie friends who don't normally eat meat substitutes but at Christmas, for example, will have a quorn roast or nut roast or something if at eating at someone else's house so that the only different part of the meal for them is the 'meat'.

I'm only giving reasons why people eat meat substitutes, not commenting on the taste/ingredients/social issues around veggies feeling they have to use meat substitutes, just to be clear.

We have moved to a new area and love our new farm shop, the sausages are so filling!
  • gayleygoo
    Options
    I'm fortunate that there is an abundance of local butchers in our town (although very few fruit/ veg shops until recently), at least 8 I can think of in the town centre, and most are reasonably priced and great quality. I have one down the street from me and is is just excellent, and not expensive either. They do great meat packs for all budgets, which often include veg and frozen side dishes.

What I love about local butchers is that they can give so much information on their meat and what to do with it! If you tell your butcher what you want to make, and that you want a cheap cut of meat, they'll tell you the best thing they have on offer. They might also offer cheap bags of bacon misfts or chicken wings, and free bones for your dog.

They can look in their records and tell you the exact animal your sausages (and everything else) came from. I usually buy the cheapest cuts, which sometimes I have to ask for the day before, but I give them good custom too buy buying huge steaks occasionally. A 16oz rump steak costs under £7, and I've never had such good value (never mind quality) from a supermarket.

I also dislike the amount of packaging on meat in the supermarket, it would fill my bin in no time if I used it often. There's plenty of reasons to not fear your local butcher, get to know them and you'll soon be eating better than you ever did before :)

One Love, One Life, Let's Get Together and Be Alright :)

April GC 13.20/£300
    April
    NSDs 0/10
    CC's £255
  • purpleweasel
    Options
    It would be great if there was a butcher on mse, who could answer questions

Try the Dairy cookbooks (British Food/Family), they turn up quite often in charity shops and have some handy guides to cuts of meat & what to do with them etc. Old-fashioned i know to look in a book but i have been using these for years and they have a lot of useful info.

I went in to my favourite butcher once & said i wanted to make some pork kebabs but didn't know what cut to use and they were very helpful. We are lucky round here that there are four or five decent butchers in town. Most of the time they are only too happy to help people - many are proud of what they produce! I did find one a bit snooty once but i just didn't go back, and tried elsewhere til i found one i was happy with.

It does take more time but old-fashioned shopping can be quite rewarding. Don't forget you can ask for bones & stuff for stock as well
  • joyjoy5
    joyjoy5 Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options
    Can I trust the beef mince in the butchers to be lean/extra lean or should I ask him to mince steaks for me specially?
  • ShiverMeTimbers
    Options
    From a rare poster but passionate about the topic for which thanks Cooltrikerchick. Supermarkets = less quality generally and greater cost (you've only to think about all their overheads). There are far more alternatives than you might think, as well as butchers, for all kinds of good local food. Make a start at BigBarn.co.uk - just put in your postcode for your local map showing many of them. Farmers are diversifying like mad with home grown products, farmers shops and markets, etc. They are everywhere. And you can buy online (probably a bit more expensive though).
    And I agree with the less = more posters. If it is good and really tasty you can easily eat less. I bake good bread (my 9 year old grandson helps) and it is so much nicer than the pappy stuff from the shop. I could go on and on ...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure