car puncture repair -best place best price

Options

Comments

• loopholer
    Options
    that's how everyone fixed them in the old days, you'd have a metal can with screw lid that held the repair kit in the boot. The plugs are tapered, air forces it home and maintains the seal. In theory, if the plug failed you'd have fairly slow deflation as the actual plug can't easily escape due to the taper. Obviously rapid deflation would be dangerous in any scenario.

When you get a puncture repaired at a garage, you have the added benefit of an inspection by someone with more experience, and you also see the whole tyre as it's off the rim, this is good provided they're honest. The plug garages install has a large disc at the rear, 50mm in diameter, it's also quite thick and strong, it is abolutely impossible for this plug to come out, so rapid defaltion is completely impossible.

I think you would be very unlucky to experience a failure with the DIY method, but at least if the garage fix it your conscience is clear should anyone be injured as a result of the repair failing, your insurance would still pay out etc. I'm assuming garages and breakdown companies don't use the old method anymore as the number of failures was unacceptable to their insurers.
  • theloft
    theloft Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    Options
    I haven't had a flat tyre for years, (last one was about £5 for a repair) but got one yesterday. My car is fitted with one of these repair kits instead of a spare wheel. This method pumps gunk into the tyre innard while you inflate it at the same time with the electric compressor. However a couple of mates said "Don't do it" as when you get to the tyre place they will either refuse or will not be able to do a repair. Also you have to buy a replacement can of the gunk. So with help the car was jacked up, wheel removed and inflated with about 50 psi. This was enough for me to drive slowly to the nearest Tyre Centre about 3 miles away. This was a branch of STS Tyre Pros in Chesham, Bucks. I had to wait as they were busy and about 1.5 hours later it was repaired. Costs - repair £9.57 - re-balancing £5.63 - new valve - £3.96 (the old one was 3 months old) PLUS VAT of course. Grand total £22. 99 Yes it was repaired professionally but I think it is too much.
    "0844 COSTS YOU MORE"
  • londonTiger
    londonTiger Posts: 4,903 Forumite
    Options
    I have a nail in between the threads on a tyre. Within the centre 80% of the thread so should be fixable. Anyone know the ball park estimate for repairs for this now? Thread started in 2011 when these things were a lot cheaper.
  • Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    I have a nail in between the threads on a tyre. Within the centre 80% of the thread so should be fixable. Anyone know the ball park estimate for repairs for this now? Thread started in 2011 when these things were a lot cheaper.
    A local independent garage charges £10 (inc VAT) for a puncture repair. It includes a new valve and re-balancing.
  • londonTiger
    Options
    mkirkby wrote: »
    A bit like this one I guess:-
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007C5XSIM/ref=asc_df_B007C5XSIM10142550?smid=A24NG3K2ESGK3U&!!!!!hydra0b-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22218&creativeASIN=B007C5XSIM&hvpos=1o1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1578330284250657093&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=

There are loads of them on eBay.

Talk to any professional and they will say they are deadly and not guaranteed.

Personal experience has shown otherwise. I have used these kits 4 times now. Once on a car and 3 times on a 1200 bandit. That's a high power motorbike with serious consequences if the puncture fails. I've done 1000's of miles across the country and Europe with one of those plugs in the tyre with no issues whatsoever.

Never heard of a fix failing either but you pay your money and you take your choice I suppose.

PS I'm not the guy starting a franchise either....if you want it fixing, do it your bl*&dy self!

I saw a mechanic use this on youtube. hard to believe it works because my mind can't get round the fact that we're essentially hoping something we inserted from the outside to not poke out again to the outside.

A patch inside is a more surefire method IMO. Glue bonds patch to the wall and the air pressure forces the patch to stay on.

The mechanic on youtube did say that this poke through method is only for short term and should only be used for a few weeks until you can get to a mechanic who can properly patch the hold from the inside.
  • Richard53
    Richard53 Posts: 3,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I saw a mechanic use this on youtube. hard to believe it works because my mind can't get round the fact that we're essentially hoping something we inserted from the outside to not poke out again to the outside.

This type (haven't come across this brand before) is pretty much standard issue for bikes with tubeless tyres. I think BMW used to issue a kit as part of the toolkit of the bike. You ream out the hole with the reamer to make it tidy and rough the surface, coat the mushroom with the adhesive, and then force the mushroom into the tyre with the tool provided. The mushroom spreads out, the glue cures, and the repair is more or less permanent. I carried one everywhere when I had a bike with tubeless tyres, and I know of people who made a repair and used the tyre for another 3-4k miles at silly speeds without a problem. Personally, I am a bit cautious over tyres, and I would use the kit to get me off the side of the road and to a repairer, riding steadily. But that's just me. Nothing wrong with the technology.

Bear in mind that a flat in a car is usually just an inconvenience. On a bike it can be a catastrophe.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
  • londonTiger
    Options
    j_bailey wrote: »
    Puncture repairs are straight forward and garages will usually charge around the £5 mark. You could try National garages, you pay a tiny bit more than your local garage but they have always done a good job for me. Here's a free voucher for a puncture repair and i am sure you don't have to have the tyre balanced if you don't want.
    http://www.national.co.uk/images/puncturevoucher.jpg

great, can't believe a 2011 post was so useful, i guess their URL is the same and they just update the voucher.

I took it in and decided to just buy a stem and get balancing done cos I felt bad for just getting a free hole puncture done.

Paid £10 for new stem and balance. Not bad.
  • nick100*2007
    Options
    I paid £5 for a puncture repair from Mo's Auto's in Preston. Chuffed :)
  • slimgym
    slimgym Posts: 64 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do these places that charge < £20 for a puncture take the tyre off and inspect or do they just use one of the reamers and those gluey plugs?

I have the car booked into the local Peugeot dealer for a service and was hoping they would do it for a reasonable price but they said it was "About £25" which is a rip compared to the price of a new tyre.
  • Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    slimgym wrote: »
    Do these places that charge < £20 for a puncture take the tyre off and inspect or do they just use one of the reamers and those gluey plugs?

I have the car booked into the local Peugeot dealer for a service and was hoping they would do it for a reasonable price but they said it was "About £25" which is a rip compared to the price of a new tyre.

They should follow a specific procedure. According to e-tyres:
    In order for punctured tyres to be repaired there are British Standard guidelines that we have to adhere to. The first step, and one of the most important requirements of the BSAU 159, is to remove the punctured tyre from the wheel so it can be given a thorough inspection to check for its suitability for repair. The technician will also examine the tyre for any signs of internal damage, which, if not diagnosed, could later result in sudden tyre failure.
    http://www.etyres.co.uk/tyres/punctures/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport