Premium Bond Winner ?

Options

Comments

• IQ4TB
    Options
    Ive got a whopping £15 in old bonds left to me by my grandad in the 70s when he died. I found them in a cupboard a couple of years ago, checked if they'd won anything (not a sniff of a win). Then found out that I can't actually 'inherit' them anyway. They have to be sent back with loads of paperwork that is either long since lost since he died, or I just dont have!
  • patch3228
    Options
    Hi Nixx,

You are on the right track - it should be April draw you are eligible for

Nixxx wrote: »
    Yes I am aware of this. Apologies, i don't think my question was very clear. I am trying to find out when the draw is. i.e Is the draw on the first of every month? If I buy premium bonds today then I would have held them for 30days on 02 April 2010 (assuming my debit card clears on 03 March 2010). So will my first eligible draw be 01 May? :o

Or is the draw at another point in the month i.e (5th of April) for me to still be eligible for the April draw?

If it is the first of every month then I can wait till 23 March to invest to still be eligible for 01 May draw.

Am I on the right track?:o
    Find a job you like and you add five days to every week
  • ariba10
    ariba10 Posts: 5,432 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes I am aware of this. Apologies, i don't think my question was very clear. I am trying to find out when the draw is. i.e Is the draw on the first of every month? If I buy premium bonds today then I would have held them for 30days on 02 April 2010 (assuming my debit card clears on 03 March 2010). So will my first eligible draw be 01 May? :o

Or is the draw at another point in the month i.e (5th of April) for me to still be eligible for the April draw?

If it is the first of every month then I can wait till 23 March to invest to still be eligible for 01 May draw.

Am I on the right track?:o

Any bonds bought on or before the last day of February will be included in the April draw.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
  • Nixxx
    Nixxx Posts: 368 Forumite
    Options
    Ok I've just bought some.:beer:

I didn't realise that today counted as my purchase date but it is (I thought it was 7 working days after payment).

Thanks everybody
    "Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like its heaven on earth." - Mark Twain
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 23 February 2010 at 12:56PM
    Options
    It doesn't take that long normally to process a payment - they are covering themselves for glitches/heavy workload, that sort of thing

Pay by cash at a Post Office. I'm pretty certain you can still do that. No clearance time
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    IQ4TB wrote: »
    Ive got a whopping £15 in old bonds left to me by my grandad in the 70s when he died. I found them in a cupboard a couple of years ago, checked if they'd won anything (not a sniff of a win). Then found out that I can't actually 'inherit' them anyway. They have to be sent back with loads of paperwork that is either long since lost since he died, or I just dont have!

I would expect that for that sort of sum they would accept a compromise on documentation - a copy of his will and/or death certificate might suffice. Though both of those would add up to nearly £15.

Worth writing anyway
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    OK Guys, need your help.

Has anyone got any experience with buying PBs online? I've just read this extract from the nsandi website

Cheque and debit card clearance

If you buy your Bonds by cheque or debit card, your payment will be cleared on the seventh working day (ie excluding weekends and English bank holidays).
    For example, if we receive your cheque or debit card details on a Monday, your payment will be cleared on the Tuesday of the following week. Allow one additional day for each English bank holiday.
    Bonds can only be cashed in after your payment has cleared.
    If you buy your Bonds at a Post Office® branch and pay by cheque, your payment will take two working days longer to clear.
    We will bank your cheque, or start to process your debit card payment, as soon as we receive it, so please make sure you have enough money in your account at the time.

Does it really take that long for my debit card to clear. I was hoping to buy some bonds today, but it looks like it wont clear until next wednesday which is March. Which means that the first draw I will be eligible for is May. Have I read this correctly? Isn't there a quicker way?

Thats for cashing them, in I am fairly sure they start the eligability the day you buy them at the post office or on-line with debit card.

From the T&C's
    http://www.nsandi.com/products/pb/tandc.jsp

19. If accepted, the date of purchase will be:
    (a) for applications sent by post, the date your application and payment were received at NS&I;
    (b) for applications via the internet, the date your on-line application, including authority for a debit card payment, were received at NS&I;
    (c) for applications made by telephone, the first date by which NS&I took the details of your application, including authority for a debit card payment;
    (d) for applications at a post office, the date your application and payment were received at the post office.
  • Ifts
    Ifts Posts: 1,951 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Options
    Ok I've just bought some.:beer:

I didn't realise that today counted as my purchase date but it is (I thought it was 7 working days after payment).

Thanks everybody

I usually buy them on the last day or two of the month on-line or over the phone (0500007007 / 01253832007 available every day from 7am till midnight) using my debit card, the payment is debited from account after 3/4 days.

This month for example you could have bought them up until midnight on the last day of the month (Sun 28th Feb) on-line or over the phone using your debit card and that will count as your purchase date, you would have to hold them for one month (March) and they will be eligible for the April draw on the 1st of the month.

And with an automatically reinvested prize your Bonds will go into the very next draw, rather than having to wait a full calendar month following the month you bought them.

Good Luck!
    Never let the perfume of the premium overpower the odour of the risk
  • Stavros_3
    Stavros_3 Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Options
    Anyone know how long their warrants are valid for, just found a couple of small ones in my drawer
    Liquidity is when you look at your investment portfolio and **** your pants
  • Ifts
    Ifts Posts: 1,951 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    edited 23 February 2010 at 6:12PM
    Options
    Stavros wrote: »
    Anyone know how long their warrants are valid for, just found a couple of small ones in my drawer

Not sure but I think it says 'within 3 months' next to the date on the warrant from what I seem to remember, if its been longer you could still try paying them in.
    Or contact NS&i (0500007007 / 01253832007 available every day from 7am till midnight) for advice.
    Never let the perfume of the premium overpower the odour of the risk
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure