PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Is your heating ON or OFF?

Options

Comments

• heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I gave up and put it on lol
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    We're on storage heaters and at the moment all are still off. We are having new windows and doors fitted later this month, all being well, and hopefully this will make the place substantially warmer in any event as the current windows have a lot of blown units and doors are old and so less well insulated than modern equivalents. Having said all that, it's still warm enough over in our bit of East Anglia that we're able to open windows a fair bit to let the place air, and the summer weight duvet remains on the bed...

I have been sticking a jumper on in the evenings though, so it's not *that* warm! :D
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    snuggle blankets that go around my knees with a hot water bottle if its nippy under my feet will help keep me warm if it gets nippy in the evenings I like to try to keep it off as long as I can then if we do get a really cold January/ February I will have it on a lot longer.
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    We're on storage heaters

You have my sympathy! We used to have them many years ago when we lived in an all-electric property and, even though we were on Economy 7, they cost a fortune to run. Lovely and warm in the mornings when we got up but, being out at work all day, we didn't really feel any benefit when we got home as all the heat had gone and we'd end up having to put an electric fire on in the evenings. Now on gas central heating with a combi boiler, it's much better. :)

Here in Yorkshire, daytime temperatures are hovering around 13C and at night it's in single figures. It's not unbearably cold yet and we do put on extra layers of clothing, use throws, draw curtains before dark etc before resorting to turning it on, but it's definitely not comfortable without it. So, yes, ours is on for about 30 mins in the morning when we get up, another 30 mins in the middle of the day and then for however long we need it in the evening (about an hour at the moment). It's only on in the lounge and bathroom (not bedrooms) so cost isn't prohibitive. That said, I hope we don't get a really cold winter! :(
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • calicocat
    calicocat Posts: 5,698 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    So far I am putting it on for an hour when I get in from work in the morning, and maybe a couple of hours in the early evening (north east).

It is starting to get cold here at times, when I came downstairs lunchtime today it was 13 in the lounge, and felt it, so put it on for an hour then. Then the sun came out. :D

When it gets too nippy the cat lets me know.....
    Yep...still at it, working out how to retire early.:D....... Going to have to rethink that scenario as have been screwed over by the company. A work in progress.
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,834 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    YorksLass wrote: »
    You have my sympathy! We used to have them many years ago when we lived in an all-electric property and, even though we were on Economy 7, they cost a fortune to run. Lovely and warm in the mornings when we got up but, being out at work all day, we didn't really feel any benefit when we got home as all the heat had gone and we'd end up having to put an electric fire on in the evenings. Now on gas central heating with a combi boiler, it's much better. :)

Here in Yorkshire, daytime temperatures are hovering around 13C and at night it's in single figures. It's not unbearably cold yet and we do put on extra layers of clothing, use throws, draw curtains before dark etc before resorting to turning it on, but it's definitely not comfortable without it. So, yes, ours is on for about 30 mins in the morning when we get up, another 30 mins in the middle of the day and then for however long we need it in the evening (about an hour at the moment). It's only on in the lounge and bathroom (not bedrooms) so cost isn't prohibitive. That said, I hope we don't get a really cold winter! :(
    I have storage heaters and find my living room still plenty warm enough until bed time and I'm in N/East Scotland. That said it's not been cold enough yet here to put them on, my living room has yet to go below 18.5C although my electric blanket is on for a short while before bed to take off the chill.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Biggles wrote: »
    Wow, yours still has a pilot light? It must be pretty ancient; my boiler was fitted 35 years ago and I thought they had already phased pilot lights out by then.

1972 I think. Certainly no younger than 1974.
  • Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I have finally cracked and ours is now on for a couple of hours in the evening (from 7pm) and for a 90 minutes in the morning. Hubby is not too happy but I do not appreciate being totally chilled to the bone with a thick jumper on.
    We once left it off for so long that I got mildew on a dress that was next to the wall in my wardrobe. I do not want that again.
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • freyasmum
    freyasmum Posts: 20,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ours is still off; it's 22.5 in the livingroom at the moment. Granted the back doors are open less now, but they are still open every day - as are the upstairs windows.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 7 October 2017 at 12:13AM
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Is this a DIY job or must it be done by a CORGI-registered plumber? (Sorry to be a bit thick, but I assume flushing it through means the tank and radiators are cleared of sludge, and the boiler is unaffected apart from the obvious efficiency gain).

Flushing a vented system through (including the boiler) and cleaning out the radiators can be a DIY job. The only fluids involved are water so no need for a Gas Safe plumber. Likewise, with my old boiler, after ensuring that the system is correctly refilled with water and inhibitor mix, relighting the boiler just involves turning on the gas cöck and pressing the piezo igniter following the instructions printed on the inside of the boiler casing.

If in doubt, always call in a professional.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback