Heron Foods/Farmfoods Freezer Shops -spot any good buys?

mcculloch29
mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
Rampant Recycler
I am lucky enough to have a branch of Heron Foods in my town. It's a discount freezer chain, similar to Farmfoods (but a bit better in my opinion). It stocks heavily discounted brand names and unbranded foods at rock bottom prices.

In the spirit of the 'Good/Bad Buys at Aldi/Lidl' thread, I thought I'd start a thread focusing on these stores, so that we can share news of good buys.

Hopefully keeping it positive, with not too many posts saying you wouldn't be seen dead shopping there... :p

In Heron in particular, the special offers on brand names come and go in a twinkling, but there are some constants.

I really like their frozen lambs' liver at 450g for £1. It's too small to fry in pieces but is brilliant for faggots, liver pate and for casseroles.

The cooking bacon is often very salty but also often has huge chunks of gammon in - brilliant for pies, quiches, casseroles, faggots (again!) and pizzas.
Oxo cubes are the cheapest I have seen anywhere at £1 for 18, and they often have Vimto cordial - both regular and sugar-free - at £1.

I could go on and on but does anyone else have some good buys to share from these stores? (Or advice on what to avoid? Hopefully there won't be too many of those items. :))
Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.

Comments

• Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Echo the bacon pieces, lots of good sized slices. and bread buns sometimes half price. They also take coupons , in my case some time ago for margarine and Kingsmill bread.
  • mcculloch29
    Rampant Recycler
    Ken68 wrote: »
    Echo the bacon pieces, lots of good sized slices. and bread buns sometimes half price. They also take coupons , in my case some time ago for margarine and Kingsmill bread.
    Thanks Ken, my local Heron Foods doesn't take coupons - is this Farmfoods? :D Worth knowing!
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • mcculloch29
    Rampant Recycler
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Heron Mc...also the fish freezer good prices.....curiously the frozen veg are odd weights and no UNIT prices shown... time consuming working out the value, so in my case don't bother. BUT good range of frozen stuff like Yorkshire puddings and ready meals.
    No Farmfoods local and when I did buy some ready meals years ago could taste the salt.
  • I shop at Farmfoods regularly for stocking up on basics, Today I picked up 7.5k potatoes (Estima variety) £2 - seem to be this variety mostly. PG tips are on Bogof £3.95 ish 2 x 4pints milk £1.60. Jelly pots 4 for a pound. Nicki toilet roll£3.95 for 18 i think. frozen veg is good at 3 for £2. although the sizing of the bags on some of them have got smaller

I started to have fliers through the door advertising Farmfoods 3 months ago and they always have money off vouchers attached £2.50 off £25 spend.

The chicago town 2 mini pizzas are a pound also.

BB
  • mcculloch29
    Rampant Recycler
    Thanks Bargain Bunny and Ken. One thing I wouldn't buy again from Heron is the doner kebab 'meat'.
    Admittedly I bought this some time ago, but it was absolutely horrible, re-formed grey 'stuff' with the texture of rubber.
    I'd bought it to put on HM pizzas and in pittas, where it went was in the bin. One of the few disappointing products, most Heron items are good value.
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    our heron does a great line in cheap yogurts...large onken pots sometimes 50p or 3 for a quid...will have a look next time im in and post on here
    onwards and upwards
  • welshee
    welshee Posts: 364 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Farmfoods has some 100ml colgate twin packs for 89p today.most of the writing was in chinese or alike but surely teeth are teeth wherever you live.
    RRP was £2.99

Bought ten double packs so should be okay for a while.
  • Black pudding from herons is good says my other half
    I get farmfood emails to see what's on offer this is the only shop I can NOT get to under my own steam alas.
    Gc 2013 +26 -5. -4 -7 -14 -15 -10.-8.20 +15p+30+5.80 Dec +9 GROCERY challenge 2014 Jan -2Feb -3 March -1.50 April +5.40 May +4.90 June -3.July 16.50/85

God bless my sweet "old man" Goldie that died in the early hours of 27 th March please see him on my avatar
  • Thanks Bargain Bunny and Ken. One thing I wouldn't buy again from Heron is the doner kebab 'meat'.
    Admittedly I bought this some time ago, but it was absolutely horrible, re-formed grey 'stuff' with the texture of rubber.
    I'd bought it to put on HM pizzas and in pittas, where it went was in the bin. One of the few disappointing products, most Heron items are good value.

Yes that was what he said but the curry frozen is nice
    Gc 2013 +26 -5. -4 -7 -14 -15 -10.-8.20 +15p+30+5.80 Dec +9 GROCERY challenge 2014 Jan -2Feb -3 March -1.50 April +5.40 May +4.90 June -3.July 16.50/85

God bless my sweet "old man" Goldie that died in the early hours of 27 th March please see him on my avatar
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure