Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Helen Saxon
    • By MSE Helen Saxon 16th Mar 16, 5:06 PM
    • 75Posts
    • 42Thanks
    MSE Helen Saxon
    Lifetime ISAs guide
    • 16th Mar 16, 5:06 PM
    Lifetime ISAs guide 16th Mar 16 at 5:06 PM
    Hi!

This is the discussion thread for the

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks folks,
Page 33
    • greenglide
    • By greenglide 27th May 17, 2:02 PM
    • 2,637 Posts
    • 1,658 Thanks
    greenglide
    Yes.

You get the HTB bonus only when you buy a house. You haven't done that so you haven't got the bonus.

When you transfer to LISA in 2017/2018 you haven't got the bonus from the HTB or the LISA but you get the bonus for both at the start of 2018/2019.
    Last edited by greenglide; Yesterday at 2:03 PM. Reason: typo
    • Frankie17
    • By Frankie17 28th May 17, 10:17 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Frankie17
    Hi all,

A question on holding a Help To Buy ISA and a LISA at the same time. Apologies if this has already been covered somewhere...

I already have a Help To Buy ISA with a bank. I'm aware that I can hold both a HTB ISA and LISA, but that there might be some restrictions to the amounts held in total (I'm also aware that a the government bonus can only be claimed on one of them).

In this tax year, I've already paid 3 x £200 in to my HTB ISA, so does this amount get deducted from the cap on the LISA? Therefore meaning I could pay a maximum of £3,400 in to a LISA before the next tax year?

Also, assuming I transfer a portion of the HTB ISA in to a LISA, then add some other funds to make up the permitted £4,000 per year in the LISA, what happens to the remainder of the HTB ISA? Can I leave the remaining funds there to collect interest, or so I have to close the HTB ISA and do something else with the money that's in it?

Thanks for your help.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 28th May 17, 11:13 AM
    • 4,476 Posts
    • 4,220 Thanks
    eskbanker
    2017/18 HTB contributions are only counted against your LISA allowance if you transfer them into the LISA, so in theory you could pay £2,400 into HTB and £4K into LISA this tax year if you choose not to consolidate.

However, as you know, you can only receive the 25% bonus on one, so the usual recommendation is to transfer your entire HTB into a LISA (as prior year HTB contributions are over and above the £4K LISA cap), towards the end of this tax year, opening a LISA as early as possible to start the 12-month clock ticking. This makes best use of pre 17/18 HTB contributions although I'm not aware of any reason you couldn't leave them there.

When would you be looking to buy?
    • Frankie17
    • By Frankie17 28th May 17, 11:57 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Frankie17
    Looking to buy towards the end of 2018 / early 2019.

So if my understanding is correct:

My HTB contribution in the 16/17 tax year was 2.4k. I could transfer all of this in to a LISA, plus an additional 4k for 17/18 tax year, and then receive the LISA bonus on the whole lot, so 1.6k bonus.

I could then leave the 17/18 HTB contributions (2 x 200) where they are, continue contribution 200 / month to take advantage of the okay interest rate.

Then when it comes to buying a place, use the LISA, and then have the HTB account as a cash pot with no bonus attached.

Have I got that right?

EDIT: Or, would I able to transfer in 4k from the HTB for the 16/17 year, then add another 4k for this year?
    Last edited by Frankie17; Today at 12:09 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,639Posts Today

5,979Users online

Martin's Twitter