Pay off mortgage and start having fun!

Options

Comments

• newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    More spending done today :o firstly tickets to see the film "gladiator" backed by an orchestra at the royal albert hall for dh's birthday , I've also booked for my dad and little brother to go with him as its their birthdays this month too, well actually they are joint Xmas/birthday presents as they cost £50 each :eek: I shouldn't have bought them really but dh has had such a carp time this year he deserves a treat.

After that I took the boys to choose paint for their bedrooms as they are all changing rooms did ended up buying wallpaper and a blind too eek, £70 gone. The only thing that is gong well financially is the food budget at the moment.

I might buy a bathroom suite tomorrow if dh is off work as in the big orange DIY store they had a straight bath with electric shower, toilet and basin plus all taps fro £299 in the sale to take away, I know the basin is ok as its the one we already have in the main bathroom. Not sure if you can have an electric shower though as dh wanted a thermostatic one, I have no idea what the difference is :D
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yay to the loft work starting, sounds like things are really moving forward with it now. Glad dd is feeling more postitive about her college course too, it's a big step from gcse to a-level with lots of big decisions to make.
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
  • newgirly
    Options
    Hi cath, thanks for popping in hope you are well:)

Feeling rough this morning after curry and way to much wine at my parents last night, plus £20 spent from the food budget on takeaway, very bad!

We did have a lovely surprise when we got back last night , dd had got us a lovely thank you card for all our help during exams and sorting college courses and bought dh 2x DVDs and me a Xmas snowman jumper :cry: she is such a sweetie we really don't deserve such a great dd , she remembered I wanted one last year. She is daft , we are only doing what we are supposed to!

Parents inlaw are visiting today , I think we may go out for dinner, so am hoping I perk up a bit by then :o

Ops made today £1 , plus exciting news ....my mortgage balance and payments can be viewed online as of today, bad news is hardly anything has been paid off this year. It's a big difference from being repayment and switching to IO . I need to ponder my plans again I think , could do much better.
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • newgirly
    Options
    They are all back to school/college this Thursday, it seems ages since they broke up. It's been a quiet summer break this year, we had a few days in Kent in a caravan at the end of July but other than that just a few days our and a few meet ups with friends.

The loft work finally started yesterday, so far so good they are outside for the first few weeks so not too much disruption (except toilet and tea breaks!)

I have overspent a lot already this month, there is still the grocery budget but the "everything else" money is gone and there is not going to be a surplus next month either.:eek: yesterday was new school bags for the boys as theirs have fallen apart again, plus a couple of jumpers for dd or college as she doesn't have any. Oh and I ordered dd's Xmas present - a pandora ring which she liked , it was spend over £75 and get a free bracelet so I did 2x orders and now have a couple of gifts for Xmas and a bracelet for dh to give me.

Today's plans are:

Get all washing done
    Do all ironing
    Daily blitzes
    Meal plan this week
    Review Xmas list and what's already bought, work out budget
    Look again at mortgage/debt/cc repayment plans and change if needs be.

The daily blitzes is something I should be doing everyday but don't always, like clean the bathroom ( not top to floor clean , just clean everything we use)
    Mop kitchen floor and vacuum wood floors downstairs and stairs
    All other cleaning will come under flyladying, but at least there will be a basic standard of cleanliness at all times (I am Definatly part slob lady:p)

I have so many plans swirling around at the moment, I need to focus on priorities and working out how starting work properly again will work with everything else I want to do. Nothing really exciting , just fitting in the things that are important to me, like seeing friends/ exercising/ crafting/ cooking etc. at the moment I don't really have set routines for anything so that's what I will focus on to start with.
  • newgirly
    Options
    Oh dear just had a look at yesterday's list and as ds2 would say its an "epic fail" :rotfl: I did do the washing but then started to clear under the twins bed and wardrobe, 1 day and 12 bin bags later...

Today was just as busy but got lots done, trousers hemmed , shirts bought (again) washed and ironed, food shop done a aldi with another £5 off £40 spend as I bought2x papers last week. Plus a catch up with best friend, work for dh, beds changed, and had a last day movie afternoon with dd and ds2 watching Star Trek into darkness :smileyhea

Now I am determined to have a chill out evening watching whitechapel eating pizza and a glass of wine , as tomorrow morning I am weighing myself and then starting a diet/ exercise regime.
  • newgirly
    Options
    Wow it's hot here today! Kids all back to school and college, although the boys started at 11am and dd wanted picking up at 1pm as they changed it to a half day, so still had them knocking about the house most of the day :rotfl:

1st day of the diet today, and I'm easing myself into it :o I did take the dog our for an hour in the heat so to a complete failure. Still have not had a chance to do a new plan for mortgage /debt repayments so if they are all finally back properly I will do it tomorrow. I did check on my mfi3 update and I am soooo behind target and its very early days , at the moment I can only see things slipping further.
  • Secret_Saving_Squirrel
    Options
    Keep the faith newgirly. Have a good old blitz for a couple of weeks and you will soon be back in the routine of moneysaving.

Squirrel
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years:D
  • newgirly
    Options
    Thanks squirrel :) I have been good the last couple of days and the house is looking not too bad especially the bedrooms which I always find the worst.

Poor ds1 , he came home from school and said he has been invited to to the England World Cup qualifier tonight at wembley, his friends dad has a spare ticket. So he got quickly showered and put in his england shirt then his friend rang to ay they all can't go as his dad is In a traffic jam as there has been a bomb scare on the QE2 bridge so they have shut it and he is stuck for the next few hours. Such a shame for the kids. :( friend has asked him over to watch it on tv which was nice but not quite the same!
    Not too great for the dad either mind :o

My lovely best friend has offered me her gorgeous handmade pine triple wardrobe as they are moving house soon , so I have even more gratis furniture for the loft room :Tthat is of course if we can come to an arrangement as she won't let me have it unless I don't give her any money, and I won't have it unless I pay, so we a in deadlock at the moment :rotfl:

Other than that not much to report, other than I am going to buy some wine and have a glass or two as I have earned it after cleaning dd's bedroom "shudder" :eek:
  • ajmoney
    ajmoney Posts: 6,233 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    newgirly wrote: »
    My lovely best friend has offered me her gorgeous handmade pine triple wardrobe as they are moving house soon , so I have even more gratis furniture for the loft room :Tthat is of course if we can come to an arrangement as she won't let me have it unless I don't give her any money, and I won't have it unless I pay, so we a in deadlock at the moment :rotfl:

Can you find an alternative way of paying that has a bit of meaning and she may not realise what you are doing? Maybe bake a cake etc, that is how we all repay in my group of friends, HM veg, cakes for birthday presents, food hampers.
    MFW 2024 No. 7 £400/£1200 MFiT-T6 No. 70 £15420.41/£22787.04
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    newgirly wrote: »
    Thanks squirrel :) I have been good the last couple of days and the house is looking not too bad especially the bedrooms which I always find the worst.

Poor ds1 , he came home from school and said he has been invited to to the England World Cup qualifier tonight at wembley, his friends dad has a spare ticket. So he got quickly showered and put in his england shirt then his friend rang to ay they all can't go as his dad is In a traffic jam as there has been a bomb scare on the QE2 bridge so they have shut it and he is stuck for the next few hours. Such a shame for the kids. :( friend has asked him over to watch it on tv which was nice but not quite the same!
    Not too great for the dad either mind :o

Other than that not much to report, other than I am going to buy some wine and have a glass or two as I have earned it after cleaning dd's bedroom "shudder" :eek:

Accept it and then buy her something for her new house - practical like new tea towels? - or something indulgent like a lovely bouquet of flowers the day after they move?
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure