We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream fund challenge part 4

Options

Comments

• DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've never thought Dave was ever nutty... bit seniorile at times, but nutty?

Oh, that must mean... Um.. Right. Dave is pretty knowledgeable, I'll give you that.;)

I managed to move a huge water tank and a sheep weighbridge up from the watermeadows to the barn using my small tractor. Did them both at the same time, front and rear, for balance. Managed, but there were a few wet trouser moments when it all began swinging in opposite directions. Not the trouser contents....

Best news of all is it is raining. The hedging I planted has been screaming for some, and the soil is so dry we need much more.

A neighbour didn't want his compost heap. All 10 tonnes of it, from eight years gardening. Another job for Trevor the tractor, and I have a mountain of soil. Top quality stuff, and also now the highest peak in Norfolk!
  • Chesapeake
    Chesapeake Posts: 71 Forumite
    Options
    I've done some depressing calculations, the good life is many many years off yet :(

I'm going to have to sit down with the accountant to work out how to organise my finances and minimise tax etc, I just can't believe how much of a PAYE salary is sucked up by income tax, NI, student loans etc. I'm hoping some self employed consultancy on the side might allow me to build up a fund to buy some land.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    hello everyone
    Hi Emma. When are you going to spam us, you old robot? :p
  • Davesnave
    Options
    Chesapeake wrote: »
    I've done some depressing calculations, the good life is many many years off yet :(
    Hate to tell you, but even those with the land have trouble finding the good life bit! I've paid £40 for fishing and still been nowhere near the river....:mad:

It's been mad here over Easter with visitors, and then, just when we thought they'd gone, one lot came back with broken suspension. :(No chance of rescue in a reasonable time frame on BHM, so they stayed and I got them into our local garage at 9 am yesterday. It was all done and dusted by 12, much to their amazement, as the garage keeps a good stock of springs in due to the roads around here! Not everything is slow in the countryside. :rotfl:

By then our builder had returned and started chasing me to finish digging out the floor of the conservatory, so I did, but due to a change in plans, I now have to remove around 3 tonnes of sand & gravel that as going to be under the damp proof membrane, as it's now being made into concrete instead and laid on top. :(

The Glass & Glazing Federation is as inscrutible an institution as I've yet encountered, so no direct info from them about conciliation. In fact they now claim it will all be done via telephone calls. No it won't. The conservatory company won't be allowed to return until they put their proposals in written form, and that probably won't be until we've done the main flooring work as they won't want to be balancing on joists......
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    hi emma,
    the sun seems to be back this morning.. we had a spattering of the wet stuff the other evening but didn't do much ! been a tad overcast for a few days with a chill wind but better today....so far.

I am now trying to organise "visits" to my mum [she didn't want to see any randoms up till now but I think she wants a gossip catch up now !!] sounds selfish but I need a break now... been almost every day for 5 weeks and also feel its about time the family pulled their weight too.... iow sister comes to either dad or mum once a week... brother came twice in the beginning, OTHER sister been once.....
    that's families for you !!
    ANYWAY...
    I still have big dog staying , but owner is better health wise just needs all clear to be able to fly home .... so I have 8 dogs with me during the week !!!

just getting new small 5 bar gates put in beside my cattle grid so dustmen will be pleased, as it was a major assault course to get through that sill wiggle gate [which dropped as you opened it AND was a bu**ar to get back in line !

did I tell you of my "falling through the cattle grid episode? [sorry if repeating!]
    in my normal hurry, I spotted door to oil tank left open as I was reversing over cattle grid, so pulled forward thinking I was clear of grid, opened car door , leapt out and ....disappeared! both legs went down through bars and I sort of fell forward so was spread-eagled and stuck... car door blocking me one side ! managed to get out with the grace of an elephant.... bruised one knee a bit but seems ok ...
    award for stupidity ? ME !

ive bagged another weird and wonderfull item off the bay [I have my moments ! ]

xf712a.jpg
  • Davesnave
    Options
    alfie_1 wrote: »

xf712a.jpg
    Should brighten-up the daily grind a bit. :)

But where's the monkey? :huh:
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Should brighten-up the daily grind a bit. :)

But where's the monkey? :huh:

im sure someone could tell me a sob story re an unloved monkey needing a home.....:o :D
  • Davesnave
    Options
    im sure someone could tell me a sob story re an unloved monkey needing a home.....:o :D
    Undoubtedly, but seriously, don't listen.... :naughty:

You need to have a rest!:A

Families are like that. We had 2 offspring and their partners here at Easter. One pair help out cheerfully, but the other pair.......:silenced:

Over the lane, one of Horse Woman's sons continues to prepare the place for sale 2+ days a week. He visits his Mum too. The other 2 haven't been seen for ages. :(

It's seriously dry now. If this carries on, we shall have moorland fires.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,145 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options

well now you mention it... $T2eC16JHJIkE9qU3iy4YBRp!9L2YJg~~_32-538x452-0-0.JPG
  • choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    pink_poppy wrote: »
    I think dafty and Dave are like a double act ~ a nice mix of knowledgeable and nutty :D

Eek, yes it is good, but not when they appear to be taking up residence in my house!! Anyone know if bees will build a nest in a wall cavity?? I've seen a lot of them going into a grid thing which originally went straight into the garage, but now there's a cavity between it and the garage. DH has just had a look in the loft and he can't see or hear anything.

I would think that bees may just make a hive in there. Usually there are insect screens on vents?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback