Did you win a copy of 'One Pound Meals' in the MSE Giveaway Competition?

Options
fredandwilma
fredandwilma Posts: 1,251 Forumite
Chutzpah Haggler I won, I won, I won! Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
edited 19 May 2017 at 1:34PM in Compers chat corner
Are you disappointed when the prize you win, isn't the prize (exactly) described for the competition you have entered?

For example, I won a "signed" copy of the "One Pound Meals" book, which sadly, wasn't a signed copy.

Or maybe they meant the standard printed signature which was on every copy?

There is no explanation or apology as to why the book hasn't been signed. Maybe i should ring customer services and explain i was expecting a signed copy?

Instagram chef Miguel Barclay has offered us 50 signed copies of his book "One Pound Meals" to give away! The RRP for One Pound Meals is £14.99 but it's available for £4.99 on Amazon.

The FIRST 50 people to get back to us will win a signed copy of the book.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5619498&highlight=one+pound+books+giveaway

I'm disappointed i didn't win a "signed" copy, but should i be thankful for just winning an unsigned book?

Not being an experienced comper, I've no idea how often prizes don't live up to expectations, but to me, it was an attractive feature of the competition, in the first place.

I do apologise for not being able to edit the poll title, which should read Competition.
Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem

Did you win a copy of the book 'One Pound Meals' in the Giveaway Competion? 9 votes

Yes - It was signed by the author (not a printed signature)
0%
Yes - It wasn't signed by the author (not a printed signature)
100%
leaphazefizzyhelenfruity_swtLisaKentfredandwilmaSallyforthmrandmrskbmclairewiththehairKaz_1981 9 votes

Comments

• LisaKent
    LisaKent Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

Yes I know what you mean, I thought it would have been an actual signed copy too, mainly because in the competition details it said...

"MSE Lucia met up with Miguel Barclay to watch him make a recipe:"

and

"Instagram chef Miguel Barclay has offered us 50 signed copies of his book "One Pound Meals" to give away!"

Which implies that the prize books were actually going to be signed, perhaps during the meet up with MSE Lucia.

Although it is a really good book I do agree it's disappointing and the 'signed copy' wording is somewhat misleading, which is not really what you'd expect from an MSE promotion!

Have you tried any of the recipes yet? I did the pulled pork chilli for tea, highly recommended!
  • fredandwilma
    Options
    Hi Lisa,

I'm glad at least one person agrees with me.

No, i haven't tried any of the recipes, yet. I shall have to try the pulled pork chilli.

I'm devoting my time to resolve the issue of the "unsigned" copies.

I can't even get a response from MSE.

But i do think the impression given was the books would actually be "signed" copies as a reward for winning the competition, rather than the printed signature on standard copies, as there were "50 signed copies".

Come on MSE - Reply please. Were these copies actually going to be signed by the author?

There's very little difference to buying a copy for £4.99 off Amazon. Except £4.99.

Still disappointed,

f&w

Carpe diem
  • LisaKent
    Options
    Hi,

If you manage to get through to MSE, this may be of use to you:

http://www.emptymirrorbooks.com/collecting/author-signatures.html

After having a read through myself, it looks like the books we received were 'facsimile copies' (mass produced) not the 'signed copies' that we were supposed to receive.

I'm thinking the distributor has sent out the wrong books, I can't imagine MSE would deliberately mislead.

If you do manage to get hold of MSE please post an update,

Thanks,
    Lisa.
  • WoodyAllenJesus
    Options
    I can't comment on the book as I didn't win one (although I've won several on Goodreads that were meant to be signed and then weren't)

I won a M&S Christmas Hamper, my first ever hamper win, on Facebook in December. It was supposed to come with all sorts of goodies but straight after telling me I'd won and could I confirm my address, they emailed me back to say the hamper had gone out of stock and they'd be sending another one instead. The one I received only contained shower gel and a tiny bottle of wine with some chocolates. I didn't feel I could complain as it was a charity who had done the giveaway so I just left it, but it was quite disappointing, even though it's nice to win anything really.

Raleigh bikes were unable to fulfil the exact prize (I won bikes for me and my daughter, and the 'daughter' bike was out of stock) but they sent me a list of alternatives and she ended up with one much better than the original prize so full marks to Raleigh.
  • mansey
    mansey Posts: 4,584 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options

I'm devoting my time to resolve the issue of the "unsigned" copies.

Tell me I have misunderstood this thread. :(

Tell me you have a dry sense of humour :rotfl:

You can't really be so stressed over an unsigned book :eek:

I think I would be devoting my time to winning something better than an unsigned cook book. :beer:
    “I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.” - Billy Joel
    C2W........718/1000......FB...........526/1000
    IG...........667/1000......MD..........652/1000
    2020 January Challenge
    Simply Media 423/1000
    Winning Moments 85/1000
  • fredandwilma
    Options
    LisaKent wrote: »
    Hi,

If you manage to get through to MSE, this may be of use to you:

http://www.emptymirrorbooks.com/collecting/author-signatures.html

After having a read through myself, it looks like the books we received were 'facsimile copies' (mass produced) not the 'signed copies' that we were supposed to receive.

I'm thinking the distributor has sent out the wrong books, I can't imagine MSE would deliberately mislead.

If you do manage to get hold of MSE please post an update,

Thanks,
    Lisa.

Hi Lisa,

No, I still haven't had a response from MSE.

However, I have now contacted the distributor who have informed me their instructions originate from the publisher. They are going to get in touch with the publisher and get back in touch with me, although this won't be until next week, now.

I'll update you when I've heard from the publisher.

What a kerfuffle?

Wouldn't it be so much easier if MSE replied with a definitive yes or no as to whether the prize was a signed copy, and if so, surely they have a responsibility to ensure the "terms" of their competition were fulfilled?

Or at least an apology to say, we're sorry, we were unable to obtain signed copies, or to get in touch with the publishers themselves. They would carry much more weight than i do, as it was their "order"?

As you say, MSE Lucia met with Miguel Barclay and did state
    If you would like to enter our competition to win a signed copy of One Pound Meals, you can find all the details in our forum

https://youtu.be/6i2mY3UouAY

What precisely did signed, mean?

Only time will tell?

Carpe diem
  • fredandwilma
    Options
    I can't comment on the book as I didn't win one (although I've won several on Goodreads that were meant to be signed and then weren't)

I won a M&S Christmas Hamper, my first ever hamper win, on Facebook in December. It was supposed to come with all sorts of goodies but straight after telling me I'd won and could I confirm my address, they emailed me back to say the hamper had gone out of stock and they'd be sending another one instead. The one I received only contained shower gel and a tiny bottle of wine with some chocolates. I didn't feel I could complain as it was a charity who had done the giveaway so I just left it, but it was quite disappointing, even though it's nice to win anything really.

Raleigh bikes were unable to fulfil the exact prize (I won bikes for me and my daughter, and the 'daughter' bike was out of stock) but they sent me a list of alternatives and she ended up with one much better than the original prize so full marks to Raleigh.

Good to hear about your wins and the fact you were kept informed. :)

Carpe diem
  • fredandwilma
    Options
    mansey wrote: »
    Tell me I have misunderstood this thread. :(

Tell me you have a dry sense of humour :rotfl:

You can't really be so stressed over an unsigned book :eek:

I think I would be devoting my time to winning something better than an unsigned cook book. :beer:

How did you guess i have a very dry sense of humour?

You're right, I'm not stressed over an unsigned book.

It's principles I'm interested in.

David v Goliath?

f&w

Carpe diem
  • fredandwilma
    Options
    Hi Lisa Kent

Just an update - I received a "signed" copy of the book today, although, rather strangely, it's signed by Migeul, opposed to Miguel (to me, it looks completely different to the printed signature and it definitely says Migeul). It also looks as if it has been copied over pencil lines, unless it's just the way the pen left indentations? :rotfl:

It's definitely different to the original copy i received, but I'm curious to know how Miguel forgot how to spell his own name? :think:

I've no idea where the copy has been sent from as I've had no correspondence from anywhere, and there was no insert , (i.e. with compliments).

The mystery deepens - There's no pleasing some people, is there? :D

Curiouser and curiouser...............:whistle:

Carpe diem
  • LisaKent
    Options
    Thanks for the update!

So, 'Miguel' [Migeul!] spelled his own name wrong??!! Hmmmm indeed! How very strange!
    I wonder what MSE would think of this? I take it they haven't got back to you yet then?

Maybe the distributor issued the prize winners with standard copies instead of the actual signed copies? Maybe there were never any 'signed' copies? Or maybe we'll never know!

Hopefully you'll hear from MSE soon to confirm whether they were supposed to be actual signed copies or not.

I'm not sure I'll sleep tonight lol!

Lisa x
    Or should I say
    Lsia! x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business