Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Enjoy your dinner my sweet!

Catch up with you tomorrow.

Dxxx
  • Poor_Single_lady
    Options
    This month is a bit funny, lots out of the ordinary, i cant wait to get back into routine and have some evenings at home. My dad paid for dinner last night. They were very cross at the idea of any payment or contribution so that worked out well.
    I went to the shops this morning, spent £127 on clothes. It is a lot of money but I do need them. Resisted urge to buy £130 coat but came home still thinking about it. Not sure if I will buy. I do love it.
    Food shop tommorow, I have enough at home for today and getting eyebrows done tommorow so can combine the 2. Then weekend at.home and parents and friends house, no expensive outings and staying out of the pub.
    The next work week is fairly quiet. Just lunch on friday but its 3 weeks to payday which is an exceedingly long time.
    The loan I have has a payment break every January so 3 payments to end of feb.
    Now £1838
    28 oct £1685
    Nov £1532
    Dec £1379
    Feb £1226
    Mar £1073
    Need to clear this, halifax and hsbc cc
    Then onto the rest.
    Not there yet and the clothes spending will not help. I've started using all the things I own like nail treatments and skin creams and watching all my dvds, trying to fool my brain into thinking that I have loads and don't need to keep spending. With or without the coat it is going to be a quiet run up to payday. But I think I will have a look for other cheaper similar coats and see what I can find. I just want something grown up, flattering and classy but not boring. Might buy this next week. At least not today and that is an achievement!
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
  • reality_check
    Options
    Don't buy the coat!! Can someone buy it for your Christmas? Have a look through jackets from last year or years before and hopefully you will find one you've forgotten about and love just as much!!

Not long until the loan will be gone, months pass as quick as a few weeks these days, can't believe it's nearly Christmas again!!

Have a good weekend x
    Starting debt £18,675.63 :eek:
    Current debt: £5,000 (16/05/18)
  • Poor_Single_lady
    Options
    I do really want this coat. My mum would never spend that much on a coat-She would tell me off! I can see myself wearing it to work and pub and looking really happy. Going to hold off till at least monday. I do have some winter coats from budget shops but I.dont think I have ever had one as nice as this. But Reality you are 100% right in your post.
    I might make myself have beans on toast 2 days a week. No beauty supplies unless something runs out, walk to train after work, make november as frugal and lean as possible with aim of reading a few books, few meals at my mums house, no additional social. If I wear the coat from oct-feb its £25 per month. Well going to hold on to at least monday.

2018 plans - reduce debt
  • reality_check
    Options
    I don't think the coat isn't worth the money, I believe that things like a coat, good pair of boots, shoes and bags are always worth extra. I never used to be like this I would buy loads for my money but now I would rather just one thing, quality over quantity. I love how you broke down the coat to £25 a month this is something I do all the time :rotfl:

Do you give yourself 'pocket money'? I give myself £200 a month to spend on whatever I want and not feel guilty. When I started at the beginning of the year, I used to throw every last penny at debt when I got paid then of course you need to live so I would then buy things/lunches out/takeaways on a credit card as would get annoyed and tell myself I work hard to then have no money and would think f#@1 the debt busting and spend a fortune. This way works for me, not sure if you do it already if not I would give it a go then things like the lovely coat won't make you feel guilty in buying xx
    Starting debt £18,675.63 :eek:
    Current debt: £5,000 (16/05/18)
  • Poor_Single_lady
    Options
    I've been thinking about this loads this morning. My biggest problem is the loan payment of £153. After I pay this and everything else there is very little left, this makes everything more stressful and much harder. But this payment is the same as the total of 3 of my other cards so it is just ruining everything until it is over. (6 months est). I like the amount of £200/£250 inc clothes and will see how this works in april.

I am going to buy the coat next week, but with caution it marks the end of all of this nonsense and silly spending. I've spent money on things I don't need and now I am worried about buying basics like coats and shoes and bedding. Excluding Christmas, nov-april are the easier months because I pay my big bills over 10/11 months so some break over this time. Need to keep my head and be sensible on this.

I would like to have made more progress but i have achieved a good bit in lifestyle changes including no holiday for rest of year, reduced alcohol, reduced takeaways, more cooking, making do, buying less. But obviously could do more. I am going to get into a position to close the first credit card, but might hang onto it until march. Going to meal plan for next week and plan and try and keep low profile to payday and try to keep going till things improve. Been to tesco today which I think brings my food shop over budget as well. So here's to a quiet november. xxx

2018 plans - reduce debt
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Once that loan is gone it will make things so much more manageable for you. Not long to go now!

I like that idea aswell of the budget for guilt free spending, might do that next year if I can.

You have made so much progress.

Keep the card till March then as soon as you feel you can cancel it.

Go you lady!

Dxxx
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,605 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I have a second current account with another bank that I use purely for treats and guilt fee spending :) Apart from the DD to fund it nothing i spend from there goes on my spending diary either.

I don't carry the debit card though unless there is a planned purchase. That way I have to decide whether the impulse buy is worth the bother of logging on online to transfer the money back to Current Account no.1.
  • Poor_Single_lady
    Options
    Thank you Dolly and Kx.
    The internet tells me I have 172 days to payday in march so the loans days are down to 172.
    Counting them off from now.

From april i will do a direct debit to a second bank account and see how I get on. I might put in £300 at first and see how It goes. This will work for me i think. Its 2 and half weeks to this payday. Once I get paid i will pay off some of the credit card and buy a new duvet. Once we enter november it should be easier.
    Today will be an nsd because I want that coat!
    Only did food shopping and eyebrows yesterday so a much needed successful weekend.
    Just one lunch and one Nando this week up to saturday morning.
    Also its 22 days till.november. From tommorow 22 evenings and 66 meals. Then from november 150 days of loan life. So focusing on this week as a whole to begin with.

2018 plans - reduce debt
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    That's the way to do it PSL.

Break it down into smaller bits, mark it off each day then before you know it you will be loan free!

Dxxx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport