Problem with TSB contactless?

Options

Comments

• Mulligan1
    Mulligan1 Posts: 141 Forumite
    Options
    I don't recall experiencing any problems using my TSB Contactless Card, I've never been prompted to use C&P instead. I've had the account for a few months now. I've mostly used the contactless feature in Boots, M&S, Poundland, Iceland and Subway. The only 'issue' I've had was in a store called B&M Bargains and it took quite some time to authorise but for some reason it went online and it's the only store I recall ever doing an online authorisation.
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Options
    My TSB contactless works in every store I have used it in except would you believe Waitrose!

This store is the only place in which I have a problem in reading the contactless on a 50-50 occasion. This is over 2 stores.

The cashier in one of them, said that she has seen a notice on their notice board saying they are updating their readers this month.

I await in anticipation.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • PippiShortsock
    Options
    Does anyone know whether the month that TSB uses to calculate cashback is a calendar month or measured from the first day you use the contactless card?
  • Ballard
    Ballard Posts: 2,850 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Does anyone know whether the month that TSB uses to calculate cashback is a calendar month or measured from the first day you use the contactless card?

It's a calendar month.
    I hate verisimilitude.
  • planteria
    planteria Posts: 5,321 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i've got the account and spend £100/m as a kind of plan.
    i've had to request a replacement card, as i found a previous one being rejected, even when i'd re-verified with a PIN purchase.
    i find their CS to be relatively poor.
  • gunsandbanjos
    gunsandbanjos Posts: 12,246 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Had no issues with my TSB contactless card, just wish Sainsburys accepted contactless.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
  • djpailo
    djpailo Posts: 550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    robin58 wrote: »
    My TSB contactless works in every store I have used it in except would you believe Waitrose!

This store is the only place in which I have a problem in reading the contactless on a 50-50 occasion. This is over 2 stores.

The cashier in one of them, said that she has seen a notice on their notice board saying they are updating their readers this month.

I await in anticipation.

I also had an issue at Waitrose a couple of weeks ago.

My partner had a problem at a shop the other day, but in that case, none of her contactless cards worked so I figured it was a problem with the terminal.
  • cheekchulk
    Options
    Hey,
    I've had the same or very similar issue a few weeks ago with my TSB contactless card.
    I wanted to be tricky and get 5% cashback on my Amazon purchases.
    So what I was trying to do is to buy a £25 Amazon gift card in Morrisons and use my contactless card to pay for it.
    (4x£25 tada = £100 and no need to manually calculate if you've reached the maximum amount you can get cashback on or not ;))
    (Time saving = money saving too :money: )

BUT, the contactless payment failed. I had to ask the cashier to cancel it then, just told her that I have to pay for it contactlessly no chip & pin option is good for me :rotfl:
    Went back next day with an idea to make sure the card's contactless feature is kept active (it will deactivate time to time and ask you to enter your PIN) so I bought a 74p chewing gum and paid with my card using chip and PIN then I scanned my £25 gift card and tried to pay using contactless. Failed. Again. I was furious. Asked the cashier to cancel it again, and called TSB on site trying to ask them why this transaction is being blocked or what is going on, but they could only help me with registering my request for a replacement card as the current one "stopped working" so I left the store with sad face :(

Got my card 5 days later, I rushed back to my supermarket and tried it... Failed again!!! I couldn't believe it. I was quiet suspicious at that point already that it must be something wrong with their card reader then...
    Later that day I tried to look for other stores selling Amazon gift cards, found a Superdrug selling it, I went to the cashier and asked if they have contactless readers. She said yes. Good, so just this one - and I handed over the gift card to scan - WHEN she said to me:
    - you can't pay for this using contactless...
    I was like: why not? From last year Oct the limit is £30 and not £20...
    - BUT our POS is not upgraded to that so it won't work...
    AHAAAAAA... So I caught them and finally understood why my payments fail at Morrisons as well.

The card readers are missing the software update which would allow the payments through contactless method up to £30, and that is why my £25 gift card never went through. Found £15 gift cards in the same store so I could trick their outdated firmware card readers and benefit from 5% cashback for Amazon this way!!:T :beer:

It is interesting why these shops/stores are not regulated to always have the up to date software on their terminals, and transaction processing equipment...

So if you have difficulties with paying for something above £20, it is very likely you also ran into one of those stores who don't care about software updates therefore there system won't accept the new contactless limit of £30. Try different locations or stores, or split your transaction amount so it will be less than £20.
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Interesting as my Morrisons changed to £30 soon after it went up.

The petrol station took longer to update but both work for up to £30 now.

I use this same trick when I get cash back offers at Morrisons, or Tescos' buy gift cards then add them to my Amazon account ready for christmas and get the 5 or 10% cashback from the credit/debit card.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    cheekchulk wrote: »
    It is interesting why these shops/stores are not regulated to always have the up to date software on their terminals, and transaction processing equipment

As long as we have a free market economy, no regulator will ever prescribe to any retailer what POS capability they will have to deploy when.

It's just a fact of life that the introduction of new technology doesn't happen simultaneously across all shops.

M&S have no limit on ApplePay. Last time I checked, Waitrose had a £30 limit on contactless and ApplePay and you can buy their gift cards with it. Similar with Boots.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure