Prepaid Cards Guide Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• fabia
    fabia Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    grumbler wrote: »
    Did you try asking your bank for 'chargeback'?
    Visa, Mastercard & Amex Chargeback

I haven't done yet, I have given them until this Wednesday to refund the money.
    If it isnt back by then I am going to request my bank recovers the money
  • fabia
    Options
    Money now loaded after 3 weeks.
    Not very satisfactory.
    Time to close the account to avoid similar problems in the future.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It may be worth looking at the Loot prepaid debit card and account (provided by Wirecard) as a modern alternative to Pockit. I'm expecting my card any day and will give it a try.

There are no fees at all, except £1 per ATM withdrawal after the first two per month free. It features a sort code and account number and uses Faster Payments for receiving funds from, and sending to, anyone's bank account within two hours. I already tried this with small amounts and it works well. Top-up by debit card is planned.

I must have installed the Android app sometime last year, then forgot about it when put on a waiting list, maybe there is still one.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • thenudeone
    thenudeone Posts: 4,462 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Fairfx emailed me about a month ago to highlight two small suspect transactions in Mexico attempted using my Euro card number (I still have the physical card).
    I confirmed that they were unauthorised.
    BUT..
    Several weeks earlier they had already let through a larger transaction (c. €40) and have not yet refunded it to me or provided a replacement card for the remaining balance on the account.

I had to chase them up before they did anything at all about the earlier transaction although I made it very clear on the very first phone call that it was also unauthorised. I completed and signed their fraud / chargeback claim form, but haven't heard anything back, several weeks later

Should I really have to repeatedly chase them over something like this??

Anyone had similar experiences
    We need the earth for food, water, and shelter.
    The earth needs us for nothing.
    The earth does not belong to us.
    We belong to the Earth
  • fabia
    Options
    eDicky wrote: »
    It may be worth looking at the Loot prepaid debit card and account (provided by Wirecard) as a modern alternative to Pockit. I'm expecting my card any day and will give it a try.

There are no fees at all, except £1 per ATM withdrawal after the first two per month free. It features a sort code and account number and uses Faster Payments for receiving funds from, and sending to, anyone's bank account within two hours. I already tried this with small amounts and it works well. Top-up by debit card is planned.

I must have installed the Android app sometime last year, then forgot about it when put on a waiting list, maybe there is still one.

Wirecard are also the supplier of POCKIT cards.

Perhaps the other similar cards are also provided by Wirecard.

From the 1st Feb POCKIT charge 99p to load money using a debit card.
  • Warez
    Options
    I have used the Pockit card for over a year now and at the beginning it was fantastic, top ups were very quick and when there was a problem the phone help answered quite quickly, now since the so called improvements you have to pay 99p to top up with your debit card and often I have had to ring them sometimes waiting 20min and then being cut off to request that the credit is put on my card which takes another day to complete with no explanation of what the problem is.
    They have now introduced a bank account no and sort code for the account but is does not seem to have improved the service just made it worse, I have also tried the email help with problems and it can take more than 5days to get a reply. I would think very seriously before you get one of these cards as the support is abysmal.
  • Warez
    Options
    The latest problem Pockit card seems to be having is showing the correct balance on an account when you purchase something in a foreign currency, recently I queried a balance on my account that showed just over £1.00 was missing from the totals shown and the reply that I got was that they had made a charge for the currency conversion for a purchase that I had made but it cannot be shown on my statement due to IT issues. So it appears that they can make charges against you account but do not have to show them is this legal ?
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 11 February 2017 at 4:57AM
    Options
    Warez wrote: »
    The latest problem Pockit card seems to be having is showing the correct balance on an account when you purchase something in a foreign currency, recently I queried a balance on my account that showed just over £1.00 was missing from the totals shown and the reply that I got was that they had made a charge for the currency conversion for a purchase that I had made but it cannot be shown on my statement due to IT issues. So it appears that they can make charges against you account but do not have to show them is this legal ?
    I couldn't say if it's illegal, but perhaps worth reporting to the regulators.

Don't use Pockit for foreign currency use. If you use a smartphone there are several alternatives that cost you nothing for online purchase - Monzo, Revolut, Loot.

Pockit's apparent slide downhill may indicate its impending demise, if unable to compete with the above solutions and their better tech, customer service and lack of fees.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    eDicky wrote: »
    I couldn't say if it's illegal, but perhaps worth reporting to the regulators.

Don't use Pockit for foreign currency use. If you use a smartphone there are several alternatives that cost you nothing for online purchase - Monzo, Revolut, Loot.

Pockit's apparent slide downhill may indicate its impending demise, if unable to compete with the above solutions and their better tech, customer service and lack of fees.

Here we go with exchange rates yet again: If there is no fee for FX then they must be selling currency for the same price they paid for it. The difference between the interbank rate and FX dealers' rates is their mark-up which is their fee.

I need the statistics which support "Pockit's apparent slide downhill" which "may indicate its impending demise". If you cannot provide those statistics I have to conclude that you are yet again talking rubbish. If Pockit was exclusively a travel currency card and therefore in competition with other travel currency cards what you say might apply but it isn't.

Lastly the Pockit card is issued by Wirecard as is Loot. When we make transactions they are processed by the card issuer. So in the accuracy of transactions there is no difference between Pockit and Loot. Similarly no difference between any cards which are issued by Paysafe. The owners of the card brand act as agents for the card issuer because they are not licenced to issue their own cards. In fact Pockit is transparent in that respect which is to its credit:
    Pockit Limited (FCA registration number 900514) is registered as an agent of Wirecard Card Solutions Ltd (“WDCS”) pursuant to a licence by MasterCard International Inc.
  • Disability_Focus
    Options
    Which best prepaid cards are available for those with a disability who are in receipt of benefits that do not cost the earth.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback