How much do you spend on your adult children at Christmas?

Options

Comments

• busiscoming2
    busiscoming2 Posts: 4,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you all.

We spend about £100 on each of them and half that on their partners. They only get a stocking if they happen to be home here for Christmas :)
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    About £100 each on my daughter & grandchildren, less on my son in law - about £40.

I used to spend a lot on my daughter when it was just her.
  • elisebutt65
    elisebutt65 Posts: 3,854 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    My budget is £50 each for my 2 sons, and then £20 for each of the 4 step kids. Oh and another £20 on their partners as well. Blimey it adds up!

About £100 on my hubby and then £30-40 for each of my parents.

I get things through the year so it spreads the cost a bit.

I think we spend more on food and drink through Xmas week entertaining the hordes when they all descend.
    Noli nothis permittere te terere
    Bad Mothers Club Member No.665
    [STRIKE]Student MoneySaving Club member 026![/STRIKE] Teacher now and still Moneysaving:D

• mumps
    mumps Posts: 6,285 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    I give my 4 a cheque for £500 each, if they have a partner and children then they divide it up as it suits their family. I then buy them a gift to open, probably £20 to £25.

They get about £20 to £25 each for birthdays, that is my kids, their partners and children.

As more partners and children arrive it gets more expensive.
    Sell £1500

2831.00/£1500
  • freyasmum
    freyasmum Posts: 20,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I really wouldn't want to know :o

A few years ago, I got a magimix (amongst other presents of full-size perfumes, S&G bath sets, chocolates, nuts, etc)

The year before that, a pair of leather ugg boots. With the same mountain of other presents.

The most difficult thing is when I ask if there's anything they would like and they say 'nothing' :(
  • vulpix
    vulpix Posts: 2,311 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    For adult children and partners £30 each.If we have Grandchildren they will have £30 each plus token gifts to open on the day.
     :
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    freyasmum wrote: »
    I really wouldn't want to know :o

A few years ago, I got a magimix (amongst other presents of full-size perfumes, S&G bath sets, chocolates, nuts, etc)

The year before that, a pair of leather ugg boots. With the same mountain of other presents.

The most difficult thing is when I ask if there's anything they would like and they say 'nothing' :(

You are very very fortunate. But I'm sure you already know that.

My adult child has had varying amounts from £50 to £150 depending on need and wants (within reason and my budget of course).

For me, as the adult child, £10 has been the norm for many a year:)
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,923 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    DD is 18 and about £800. Dad used to spend a couple of hundred on me.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • freyasmum
    freyasmum Posts: 20,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    karcher wrote: »
    You are very very fortunate. But I'm sure you already know that.

My adult child has had varying amounts from £50 to £150 depending on need and wants (within reason and my budget of course).

For me, as the adult child, £10 has been the norm for many a year:)
    Indeed, and I appreciate every single thing - and the thought that went into it. My sister and I have always been spoilt with things; we literally had a sofa each, laden with presents.

One year, we were given brand new clam-shell phones. The salesman couldn't believe it when my mum asked for two PAYG handsets. But my parents always made sure that, far from going without, we always had mountains of presents. They still do the same with our children now. Unfortunately, it's sometimes to the point that the children physically can't open all of their presents on Christmas Day itself. It's actually too much for them :o
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    freyasmum wrote: »
    Indeed, and I appreciate every single thing - and the thought that went into it. My sister and I have always been spoilt with things; we literally had a sofa each, laden with presents.

One year, we were given brand new clam-shell phones. The salesman couldn't believe it when my mum asked for two PAYG handsets. But my parents always made sure that, far from going without, we always had mountains of presents. They still do the same with our children now. Unfortunately, it's sometimes to the point that the children physically can't open all of their presents on Christmas Day itself. It's actually too much for them :o

A very different world from mine.

I must ask, are that number of presents really necessary?

Isn't the joy and excitement of receiving a gift diminished when you have so so many?
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family