MSE News: BT to hike prices in January - watch out for a letter

Options

Comments

• CurlySue2017
    Options
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    Yes you have now explained you are on the 30 day rolling contract
    That reads as broadband only and you have a separate line rental contract paid in advance .
    You say you are paying a lot but that is due to you staying on this method.
    Why not price up what you want from BT first on a contract .

I pay BT circa £35pm for BT Infinity 1 + Line Rental + TV + BT Sport .

I really don't mean to be rude or anything, but it would be much more helpful if you could please read posts properly before commenting, as you are simply causing more confusion for me :o

All of the information regarding my contract with BT, the reason why I stayed after the contract ended etc. was in my OP and also in subsequent ones.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 10 November 2017 at 3:22PM
    Options
    deleted deleted
  • CurlySue2017
    Options
    Ok, I'm still not sure how but like I said, no offense intended.
  • Birdman2015
    Options
    boatman wrote: »

Hmmm, just had a conversation with retentions and the lady I spoke to was adamant that I would lose the £5 discount if I left.

I have to laugh, the deal they offered me was the same as it would be after the price rise.
  • andover_boy
    Options
    Hi All,

I wonder if someone can help - i'm on a pretty good deal with BT at the minute and can't get much better elsewhere due to my location so i'm not too worried about moving so much but i'd like to avoid the price hike. Spoke to the advisor who said they wouldn't be able to do better than the online offers.

The 2nd package seems to be giving me a guaranteed price and a new router but i'm more interested in the 1st package. What i'd like to know is If the prices rise again during this time will i be in the same place as i am now, i.e. i will be able to negotiate a new deal. The T&C's state:

Package 1: Prices and terms subject to change during the contract term
    Package 2: Your package price is fixed for 18 months.

Any help appreciated

Picture of offers
    http://imgur.com/a/idzNE
  • ukwmo
    ukwmo Posts: 60 Forumite
    Options
    Hey Andover_boy

Package 1 seems pretty good. It’s only £1 per month more than the current Plusnet equivalent but you also get unlimited weekend calls. Thanks for pointing this one out, I’ll see if I can switch to this deal when I receive my dreaded price rise email.

I’d guess if BT put the price up for that package you’d have to call them and see if they’d hold the price as is. Might work, might not. But would any price rise take package 1 up to the price of package 2 ? And do you need a replacement hub/router ?

Me, I’d gamble with package 1. Doesn’t really answer your question though.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi All,

I wonder if someone can help - i'm on a pretty good deal with BT at the minute and can't get much better elsewhere due to my location so i'm not too worried about moving so much but i'd like to avoid the price hike. Spoke to the advisor who said they wouldn't be able to do better than the online offers.

The 2nd package seems to be giving me a guaranteed price and a new router but i'm more interested in the 1st package. What i'd like to know is If the prices rise again during this time will i be in the same place as i am now, i.e. i will be able to negotiate a new deal. The T&C's state:

Package 1: Prices and terms subject to change during the contract term
    Package 2: Your package price is fixed for 18 months.

Any help appreciated

Picture of offers
    http://imgur.com/a/idzNE

Pretty much guaranteed that the prices will go up again in 12 months time (or at least advised they will in January again). As to which is best for you it depends solely on whether you need a new router, if not then package 2 would cost you an extra £55 over the 18 months for no purpose. I'm presuming that being on a fixed price contract means the next price rise wouldn't give you a get out clause but then it would only be for 6 months and if you're limited in your choices and it's a decent price then you've nothing to be concerned about I'd have thought.
  • Vegastare
    Options
    My contract is till May 2019(started last May) - broad band unlimited calls (BT Infinity 1) and a free (at moment BT Sport offer) the email today directs to a link for a new deal for 18mths which will be £ 2.49 less but with only evening and weekend calls........but and this is my query it says 18mths at £29.99 then £49.99 after and the offer includes line rental........I take it that it means line rental is not included in the £29.99 offer!

One other thing the sport is free till Feb 2018 - would this alter if I re contract, the sport was a special offer a few months back and can be cancelled but only after Feb.
  • ukwmo
    ukwmo Posts: 60 Forumite
    Options
    Got the BT price rise email in today. Phoned BT, I’m still in contract but they accept I can switch without penalty. They couldn’t (or wouldn’t) price match the offer above so I gave them notice that my intention is to switch.

Logged into Quidco, checked out Sky, Talk Talk etc & finally signed up to Plusnet from 1st December, fibre broadband plus line rental=£24.99 pcm, £40 cashback.

I didn’t particularly want to leave BT, for me they’ve been reliable, but they’re just getting too expensive unfort.
  • miller
    miller Posts: 1,630 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    The good thing about going with Plusnet is you'll escape any cease fee BT might have wanted to charge; AFAIK Plusnet is a wholly owned subsidiary of BT anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure