Neighbours' dog

Options

Comments

• krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    RSPCA might act on the five freedoms -
    1. Freedom from hunger and thirst: by ready access to fresh water and a diet to maintain full health and vigour.
    2. Freedom from discomfort: by providing an appropriate environment including shelter and a comfortable resting area.
    3. Freedom from pain, injury or disease: by prevention through rapid diagnosis and treatment.
    4. Freedom to express normal behaviour: by providing sufficient space, proper facilities and company of the animal’s own kind.
    5. Freedom from fear and distress: by ensuring conditions and treatment which avoid mental suffering.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There are two things here really:

Shelter
    Companionship/proper exercise.

He's got shelter, dogs are animals, it's a fairly new thing for family pets to not be outside in the dog kennel - and that one has a whole shed.

He's on his own and not being taken out 2-3x a day to run about. That's where the owners are failing.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    He's got shelter, dogs are animals, it's a fairly new thing for family pets to not be outside in the dog kennel - and that one has a whole shed.

He's got an unheated shelter - that might be fine for some breeds but Shih Tzus were bred to be indoor companion dogs.

They don't cope with cold weather and can also have problems if left outside in hot weather because they can't pant enough to keep cool.
  • Alvinism
    Options
    Next time you hear the owners in the garden, go and start talking to the dog through the hedge. Ask the dog how he is, ask if he is cold, etc. - an indirect way of telling the owners what you think!
  • Merlin's_Beard
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    The RSPCA leaflet on dogs says - "The RSPCA advises against keeping dogs outside because it can be very difficult to meet their needs. Living in a cold or wet place can cause a dog to suffer and may lead to illness."

monkeychops - you could quote their information back at them if they aren't interested in coming out to check on the dog.

The problem isn't necessarily what the RSPCA think is right or wrong - it's what they potentially could prosecute in a civil court under, which is the Animal Welfare Act. It doesn't matter if it's "not good" - if it's "not illegal" then no one can legally stop the neighbours keeping the dog how they want to.

However, sometimes they can use the uniform to enact change even if it's not something that anyone can do anything about legally, so it still might be worth a phone call.
    Start mortgage date: August 2022; Start mortgage amount: £240,999; Original mortgage free date: August 2056
    Current mortgage amount: £233.529.75
    Start student loan 2012: £29,750; current student loan: £11.400.50; OP offset fund: £750
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,756 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Alvinism wrote: »
    Next time you hear the owners in the garden, go and start talking to the dog through the hedge. Ask the dog how he is, ask if he is cold, etc. - an indirect way of telling the owners what you think!

That's very passive aggressive, and a sure way to wind the neighbours up.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    When I chucked an old jumper and some crunchies over onto the neighbour's balcony to keep her kitten warm, as it had been put out all night when it was snowing (and nicely spoken to her in the morning about how sorry I felt for the sweet little thing because it had got so cold so suddenly, so she wasn't angry with me - she chatted about how her sons weren't as thrilled with it as she thought they'd be), it took six days and the thing was dropped off at my house with a scratching post and catnip mouse first thing Sunday morning.

Thirteen years later, the fluffy ratbag is still here.

In short, rather than being grumpy, calling the RSPCA - who will do nothing - or making sarcastic comments through the fence - being nice about it can end up with you gaining a perfectly good animal (slightly used, one owner from new) for absolutely nothing...
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Options
    I completely understand how you feel MC, I was in a similar situation. Small dog up the road in a filthy garden 24/7, all weathers, shed falling down, owners only went out occasionally to put dried food in the shed. It was breaking my heart. Rang RSPCA local and national, they didn't want to know.

I asked if I could take it out for a walk, they said yes, I walk dogs for other people anyway. They stopped answering the door to me, but I still walked their dog without asking. This went on for three years.

I eventually removed dog and didn't take it back. He was with me from September to December, then they wanted him back. I had to hand him over. Months later I went to their door and asked if I could take the dog for a walk. They said yes, and so the cycle started again.

He was getting older, so I took him again. This time I put a note through their door asking if he could stay at mine while it was cold (January). I kept putting notes through the door letting them know how he was, and to tell me if they wanted him back. They didn't want to speak to me. They never did reply, so I stopped the notes, they even saw us in the street and totally ignored us.

Dog was with me for three years until he sadly died of old age. I wish I had taken him sooner and not let it go on for so long. I went through agonies worrying about him.

I don't know what you should do, but I do know how heartbreaking it is to see an animal being neglected.

Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • ehdx
    ehdx Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 29 November 2017 at 3:20PM
    Options
    Reading this has really upset me. The poor dog. We have a Labrador and she doesn't even like going outside to the toilet when it's cold so I can't imagine how it must feel for the poor dog being stuck outside on it's own with no interaction. I'd call the RSPCA, you have nothing to lose by giving them a call. If they aren't willing to do anything maybe you could ask them what they advise you should do? Clearly this treatment is not fair.

If not, I'll come and steal the dog and give it a home. Poppy is looking for a little friend.
  • elliesmemory1
    Options
    You should report this asap. In freezing temperatures the dog could die.
    The rspca can and should do something about this.
    The owners are not following the five freedoms which make up the animal welfare act.
    Please report this today.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport