PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS Daily Thread Wednesday 1st Jan 2014

Options
This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or slow internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Some people who chat here like to try to answer everyone. Don’t feel you have to though, a general “hi everyone, hope everyone’s well” is fine
Chin up, Titus out.

Comments

• Hard_Up_Hester
    Options
    Morning all
    Happy New Year everyone.
    Molly I hope you have a better year this year, with less stress & better health.
    LW I hope you have lots of furry visitors this year.
    Bargain Bird, I hope you don't have a hangover today.
    To everyone else, I wish health & happiness.
    Raining here today, fish fed, hubby & I have a cuppa each.
    We didn't stay up to see the New Year in, but the fireworks were noisy, so I opened the blinds to watch them for a while.
    I don't make NY resolutions, I started eating healthily in September & shall carry on doing so, I'm losing weight, but don't care how much or how fast so I've given my scales away. If I get to the stage where my knickers are falling down again, I'll buy smaller ones.
    I bought a book called 'Quick Baby Knits' only to find most of the patterns use circular needles or DP needles so I can't start knitting today, never mind, I've ordered some but they are coming from China so will take a month to get here, how frustrating.
    If hubby spends time in the garden today I shall clear out the study, I've stopped going in there as it is so cluttered.
    I have DGS visiting today, but not sure when as DD has my car as she was babysitting last night 'til 1am, so can't see her getting up too early, still she earned £100 plus a tip. She starts her new job on 4th of Jan so hopefully that will go well.
    Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • forever_saving
    Options
    Good morning hester and to those who cross/follow,
    Happy new year to you all.
    I stayed up and watched the fireworks. Wished hubby and dd a happy new year and went to bed.
    I don't really make resolutions as such. I just want to continue to try to save money to pay extra off the mortgage. So we are going to make every penny count just as we were trying to do last year.
    Son and his gf are coming to dinner today. We are having goose with roast potatoes, veg and yorkshires. We have never had goose before so don't know if it will be a hit or not. It won't get wasted thats for sure, even if i have to use it up in curries and sweet and sour dishes.
    Need to have a hoover round when everyone else is up.
    I hope everyone has a good day and hugs to those who need them.
    FS x
    Jan GC £298.62/£300 Feb £298.01/£300 March £331.06/£300 April £69.96/£300
    Learning to accept the things i cannot change
  • Angel_Jenny
    Angel_Jenny Posts: 3,026 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Happy New Year!

I have made my resolutions for the year (and have even managed to put them in a blog post) and my new diary / organiser is on the way so I am (almost!) all set!

Really need to get decluttering and cleaning as I am back to work tomorrow. Going to be more conscious of how I use my time and money this year rather than just drifting along.

Hoping it is a bit brighter today as the constant grey weather is a bit depressing.

Didn't plan on seeing the New Year in but some kind people set off fireworks that sounded like bombs so I was awake at 12 anyway!

Really fancy cheese on toast ......
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Morning all :wave:

Happy new year _party_

Up early as I have visitors for lunch , I've put a pork joint in and am going to cook it slowly and hope it ends up as pulled pork .

Didn't go out last night as I was too tired after an 11 hour shift ;). I did stay up though and the neighbours fireworks rivalled central London's easily lol , must have cost them a fortune . I watched in the warm and for free :money:

Didn't really make any new year resolutions , but I have a new sewing machine , so would like to make the most of that this year by making some Xmas presents etc , as yet I have no idea what lol

(((Hugs))) to all who need , I hope 2014 brings love and happiness to all MSErs

Have a good year everyone xx
  • nmlc
    nmlc Posts: 4,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning everyone

Happy New Year, may 2014 bring you all health, wealth and happiness.

Hugs to all those that are feeling sad/poorly x

Dull, cloudy, dreich, wet underfoot and very windy here this morning.

DH and myself up and enjoying a peaceful cuppa. Boys still in their pits, they can get up at their leisure.

Went to see friends last night and had a nice time. She'd done a lovely buffett - but was way too much food. I'm sure it won't get wasted though as she has a teenage son, his gf, her bro and her dad there.

Will be a very slow chilled day here today - not really going to do much at all if I can help it - will get the new diary pages in my organiser etc. DH is back to work tomorrow, I'm not back until Monday as are the boys to school and college.

Was reasonably productive again yesterday - continued with the washing, drying and ironing - all done except 1 load which is towels etc - so not really any ironing to be done so will get that done tomorrow. Did several other jobs on pc etc.

Have a peaceful start to 2014.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
  • tru
    tru Posts: 9,138 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Morning :hello:[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Happy New Year _party_[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]That year I wanted – the one where there's no hassle, no big stresses and I can look after myself a bit – has happened. 2013, the year of Good Things :D[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I'm really tired today, I don't know why. I'll do a bit of washing and tidying this morning, then see how I feel. I'll do a buffet lunch and pile it all onto the coffee table in the lounge. That way we can just help ourselves without having to move from the sofas :D[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I've finished the baby blankets, they've been put away until I have news that E has gone into labour. Then I'll give them a rinse to freshen them up. I've dragged my box of yarn over to my chair so I can pick it up and make something if inspiration strikes :D[/FONT]
    Bulletproof
  • Moorhen
    Moorhen Posts: 964 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning everyone,

Happy New Year.

Health, happiness and good wishes to everyone.

Hope that 2014 is calm, peaceful and happy.:)
  • Jacksmummy
    Options
    Good morning all.

Happy new year, hope 2014 is a fab year for you all.

I managed to stay up till midnight with ds and dh, I opened the doors to let the new year in, hope it is going to be a much better year than the last one, I don't normally make resolutions either but this year I thought I'd give it a go, so my first one is to try and save money by being as thrifty as possible, be more organised and lose some weight.
    So late last night myself and DH have sealed a jar for the £1 per day challenge, we then sealed another big tub for any lose change and any extra money we make from online sales, eb@y, faceb00k sale groups etc, our plan is to open them up one yr from today and see how much we have managed to save..... I've also wrote all b'days, anniversarys school hols etc on the new calendar so I can plan ahead and be prepared instead it being a mad rush when I suddenly remember a birthday... also bought a project book from Mr T's, I thought it would be ideal for menu plans, shopping lists, incoming, outgoings, presents lists and so on. will start filling it out today

Dinner today is beef, mashed potato & celeriac, roasted parsnips, carrots, brussels and yorkshire pudding with hm gravy, with hm trifle for afters, then we will have an afternoon of watching a film then an evening of board games with my little family

Hope you all have a lovely new years day... x
    G.C July £21.09/£100

• Time_to_face_the_music
    Options
    Good morning everyone :)

Happy New Year! _party_

We were in bed before midnight but a party in our street and fireworks kept us awake and woke up GDD too. All quietened down until someone decided to let off more fireworks at around 4am.

Horrible weather again and lazy day planned ... well until lunatic neighbour restarts his building racket :wall:

Lots of left over roast beef so think some nice chunky chips, beef and loads of horseradish may be on the menu tonight.

Well wishes for all sick people and pets and hugs for those that need or just want them. Keep well, warm and safe and have a super day :)
    LBM 10/1/12 ~ DFW Start 6/2/12: £82,344 ~ Now Zero
    :staradmin:starmod::staradmin Debt free 17th April 2015 :staradmin:starmod::staradmin
    Eternal thanks to the DMP & Mutual Support (no.439) and Payment a Day Threads
    Mortgage free 3rd July 2014 - Grateful thanks to the 2013/14 MFW threads
    "Debt is normal. Be weird!" Dave Ramsey
    Proud to have dealt with our debt :)
  • mrsmortenharket
    Options
    Morning all.

Happy new year to you all xxx

I have woken up feeling awful. And no, not due to drink. Wish it was tbh. So have started 2014 ill. The smell of food is making me nauseous so I'm upstairs in the bedroom. Small Child has followed me up.

Himself & ds1 are off to London for a football match. Himself has a birthday tomorrow so this is his treat. I need e a cake for him today but don't feel up to it right now. Hopefully I'll feel better later.

Nothing planned for today. Would like to spend the day resting it it's a bit difficult with a rampaging 4 year old!

Have a good day all

Love, hugs & spoons xxx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family