BritishBibliophile Wants A House

Options

Comments

• savingwannabe
    Options
    Good luck. I hope you don't have any extra stress from this.

Fingers crossed you don't need it but you can get it done cheaply I did. I had to rewire but waited for a few years to gather money together for most of the house. I have been here for 9 years now and still haven't rewired the kitchen. That's the next job.
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • BritishBibliophile
    Options
    Electrical inspection came back with no major problems. Again, list of things that we could get done (and probably will over the years), but nothing that urgently needs work, so that's another thing checked off. Paid the invoice for that this evening and add the money to my costs spreadsheet.

We have now done EVERYTHING we can possibly do except cash out our HTB ISAs, because there's no point doing that when we don't have a completion date. Solicitor still hasn't had a contract from the vendor's solicitor, he said he would chase on Thursday and was out of the office on Friday, but I haven't heard anything today so I'll have to send yet another email tomorrow :( We're in the shortest chain possible, it shouldn't be taking this long! Gentleman Caller is advising patience, mine wore thin a long time ago :mad:

Had a weekend at home instead of with Gentleman Caller as he was working. Went for a very long walk, it was nice but I got lost at one point, and my iPhone didn't take very good photos. But it was still nice to set aside a few hours for a proper stroll, so I'm going to be referring back to the guidebook for more walks in the future.

This evening I've done some shuffles, £350 in the wedding fund and £162.03 in the furniture fund (now over halfway for the funiture fund!) Last week I start populating our Amazon wedding registry list, we're going for the more traditional household items since we won't have time/money to buy a lot of them ourselves (yes it includes a gravy boat :rotfl: ) At least the wedding plans give me something to look forward to, Gentleman Caller has made the invitations so we'll be posting them out next week.

And now I need to go eat some chocolate!

Wedding fund - £1780
    Furniture fund -
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The hassle of waiting for solicitors is one of those things we have to endure. I know, I remember. Keep doing what you are doing to take your mind off things by walking and planning for wedding. It will all work out. You have a house. It is sooo exciting as it's all falling into place. Yay.
  • BritishBibliophile
    Options
    All gone quiet over here while I wait in limbo for the house DX Haven't been on MSE much this past month and haven't saved properly either, which was very naughty.

Last search should come back next Tuesday and then we'll hopefully be crawling towards the finishing line. Haven't seen any of the paperwork yet, I'm assuming that we'll see it all when we go in to sign on the dotted line, but I don't know when that will be yet.

Sent out the wedding invitations and had a few replies, need to finish off a little FAQ that I'm making and send it to those who have RSVPed. Also adding more things to our wedding list on Amazon as we've had some enquiries about that side of things too.

So overall not a great deal to update on. Birthday this month so me and Gentleman Caller have taken a week off. I was hoping to get the legal side of the wedding sorted out but it's more difficult to sort out before we live together as we'd have to register in 2 different counties, so I'd rather wait DX

Added £300 to the wedding fund and £155.47 to the furniture fund.

Furniture Fund - £805.86/£1000
    Wedding Fund: £2080.00/£4000
  • savingwannabe
    Options
    Happy birthday. Hopefully housebuying is all going to task. Well done on saving and make sure you enjoy your week off. I can't believe you are doing so much and it's all at once. Well done BB.:beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:
  • BritishBibliophile
    Options
    Week off was lovely. Car MOT was over £150 but I had the money set aside for it, dentist was almost £40 as I paid a deposit for a hygienist visit next April, but I don't need any actual work done on my teeth which is a relief, and I don't need another check up for 12 months as the dentist said my current routine (although I'm naughty and don't floss) is working fine as keeping decay at bay.

Gentleman Caller came up on Tuesday afternoon. On Wednesday we met with the solicitor and signed the papers for the house purchase :T We WERE looking to exchange this week and complete on the 30th but claiming the Help to Buy ISA bonus may now slow completion down. I just want to exchange this week so I can start to relax and, more importantly, plan everything that we need to do and buy! :eek:

Thursday was spent trying to move all the deposit money in to one account. Que a bit of a problem as the account it was being gathered in had a limit smaller than our deposit total. So in the end we had to move most of it in to a current account by CHAPs. We then went up to Lincoln on Friday, my parents paid for us to have an overnight stay for my birthday so we could see the city properly. We decided to check the account while we were there to see if the CHAPs payment had gone through properly, only to find it wasn't there :eek: The first bank said the money was definitely sent so it was just a case of "waiting", Gentleman Caller had a stress headache that evening and I struggled to get to sleep that night, but Saturday morning the money was sitting there nice and safe, and we could relax.

Lincoln was very nice, a lovely quaint little town. We went to the cathedral, and the castle. Lots of little teashops and vintage shops and book shops, which we sadly didn't have time to see properly. We took my sister, who's at university there, out for lunch on the Saturday and then headed home that afternoon. Will have to go back again and spend a proper weekend there so we can explore properly.

Back to work today to a massive pile of emails. Luckily a good chunk were spam that could be instantly deleted!

No savings to add at the moment as it's been an expensive month, despite budgeting for the major costs. Need to start thinking towards Christmas as well, family might have to accept an IOU :rotfl:
  • savingwannabe
    Options
    Yay for house!!!!!!!!!!! and for teeth, and car, and Lincoln.
    Don't worry about xmas presents give everyone a card they will understand.
    I am so excited. With any luck you will be able to move in soon. Imagine new housey with Christmas tree, cushions and wine. Yay.
    I hope you have a good week. Keep posting as you always cheer me up.
  • BritishBibliophile
    Options
    Aww thank you savingwannabe, when we get those keys there's going to be so much cheering on this thread.

Sent the last details for the bonus claim to the solicitor first thing this morning, but didn't hear anything back. Starting to worry that we won't be exchanging this week after all :( But we've come this far and if I need to discover new depths of patience then I shall.
  • BritishBibliophile
    Options
    We've exchanged contracts this morning! :dance: Had to make a quick buildings insurance purchase. Completion is set for Thursday 8th December, so only a week after we originally planned :T
  • savingwannabe
    Options
    O:beer:mg you will be in before Christmas. Fab.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport