DMP & Mutual Support Thread - Part 11

Options

Comments

• make_the_change
    Options
    Who knows, while it should do a lot of letters are titled default to get your attention.

We had what we thought was a default notice for Mrs BB's Barclaycard in Sept 2015, only to not get any other correspondence and then we get a similar letter Sept 2016 saying exactly the same thing but a different DCA in charge this time. Until we get our first letter from said DCA saying who to pay they remain on token payments.

Ive refused to pay BC or Argos as I am trying to force a default.
    DMP Started June 2016
  • blisteringblue
    Options
    Ive refused to pay BC or Argos as I am trying to force a default.

Don't worry, I'm a long stayer who went self managed a long time ago for this very reason ;)

However them saying they will default and actually getting it is another matter.
  • make_the_change
    Options
    Don't worry, I'm a long stayer who went self managed a long time ago for this very reason ;)

However them saying they will default and actually getting it is another matter.

So sit tight and play the waiting game? x
    DMP Started June 2016
  • blisteringblue
    Options
    So sit tight and play the waiting game? x

Yep, Barclaycard should make you interest free anyway this way, the default will eventually come.

I got mine after 6 months of token payments, but our other Barclaycard is still there, sort of defaulted (it now shows as closed on Clearscore) and just waiting for Link Financial to issue payment instructions.
  • Tiggerlou
    Options
    Hello.... has anyone any experience of Allied International? They seem to be in control of my amex debt now although haven't heard off them just noticed it had changed when I logged into my dmp xx thanks
  • JMU-95
    JMU-95 Posts: 189 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi. I rang tonight to get up to date balances and have been informed that 4 of my accounts have been defaulted and sold on.

Barclaycard Account 1 > Link Financial
    Barclaycard Account 2 > Defaulted but still with inhouse collections
    Virgin > Arrow Global
    Santander > Westcot

Are there any of these new companies I need to be wary of? What are they like to deal with? and
    What happens now? It's a bit scary knowing the accounts are with debt collectors.

Thanks for any advice
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,888 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 20 September 2016 at 9:02PM
    Options
    JMU-95 wrote: »
    Hi. I rang tonight to get up to date balances and have been informed that 4 of my accounts have been defaulted and sold on.

Barclaycard Account 1 > Link Financial
    Barclaycard Account 2 > Defaulted but still with inhouse collections
    Virgin > Arrow Global
    Santander > Westcot

Are there any of these new companies I need to be wary of? What are they like to deal with? and
    What happens now? It's a bit scary knowing the accounts are with debt collectors.

Thanks for any advice

Nothing at all to get scared of, a debt collector has no more rights than the original creditor had.

If they step out of line or ask for more money than you are able to pay, or harras you in any other way, you complain using the companies complaints procedure, if that dosent resolve it, you go to the ombudsman.

Most DCA's are fairly soft these days, as they have to comply more with FCA regulation or face been investigated and fined.

Your DMP should continue the same as before.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • JMU-95
    JMU-95 Posts: 189 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sourcrates wrote: »
    Nothing at all to get scared of, a debt collector has no more rights than the original creditor had.

If they step out of line or ask for more money than you are able to pay, or harras you in any other way, you complain using the companies complaints procedure, if that dosent resolve it, you go to the ombudsman.

Most DCA's are fairly soft these days, as they have to comply more with FCA regulation or face been investigated and fined.

Your DMP should continue the same as before.

Thanks for the reassurance Sourcrates. So do I just wait to they get in contact and then they go over my I&E and agree a payment plan? So if I agree to what they're asking me to repay they won't take me to court? I'm still with Stepchange.
  • Triangle
    Triangle Posts: 1,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good news - I am now self-managed :j DMP cancelled today with SC and letters written to send to creditors. Feeling a little apprehensive but generally very positive - the only way is up! :T
    MFW!
    Started 1/12/22 - £196,000

Saving targets 2023
    Mortgage Overpayment £0/£2000
    Bathroom £0/£2000
    Big Birthday Trip £0/£2000
    Long Term Saving Pot £0/£2000
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,888 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 20 September 2016 at 11:23PM
    Options
    JMU-95 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reassurance Sourcrates. So do I just wait to they get in contact and then they go over my I&E and agree a payment plan? So if I agree to what they're asking me to repay they won't take me to court? I'm still with Stepchange.

Less than 10% of debts end up in court action, so more than 90% of defaulted debts never see the inside of a court room, however the amount of county court judgements is rising.

They have your SOA, your repaying through a DMP, I doubt they will contact you, Stepchange will deal with your creditors on your behalf, that's what they are there for.

But even if they did get legal with you, your already paying what you can afford, the court would not make you pay any more, so legal action is pointless, as it has no benefit to the creditor.

Also, all you people who have not yet been defaulted, a creditor can’t take you to court unless a formal Default Notice has been issued. A Default Notice is a formal letter from your creditor informing you that unless you bring your account up to date within 14 days a Default will be made. A Default Notice won’t be issued immediately you miss a payment – creditors usually wait 3-6 months.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure