Virgin Media Late Payment Charges

Options
nickventure1973
nickventure1973 Posts: 24 Forumite
edited 10 August 2016 at 2:51PM in Consumer rights
I'm sure this has been asked many times before, but I wondered if anybody had successfully claimed back late payment charges from Virgin Media?

I always pay Virgin Media within the month, however I am self employed and sometimes find when I receive money from my customers can be a bit random, so the date I pay them might not be the same date every month. As I won't set up a Direct Debit with Virgin Media they will not let me change my repayment date. I have been told that I can set up a Direct Debit, and then cancel it to get the repayment date moved. But they tell me I would need to cover the current months bill and the previous months bill at the same time. I cannot afford to do this, so this leaves me in constant limbo receiving an unfair late payment charge each month. If I could move the payment date then it wouldn't be an issue and they would easily be paid before the bill date. I don't trust Direct Debits unless they are something that I am 100% sure will remain the same throughout. I have had problems from virgin Media in the past where they have taken incorrect amounts out of my bank account, also I have had this from Scottish Power. So I refuse to set up a Direct Debit with most companies for legitimate reasons.

Comments

• Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cancel you contract with them then.
  • nickventure1973
    Options
    I can't as I need the broadband. I work from home and it is a necessity. Cancelling the contract could leave me without broadband for weeks.
  • Thunderbird4
    Options
    The 50 mb broadband only package from Virgin Media is £33 a month. Can't you find some way of always having £33 available on one day a month?
  • nickventure1973
    Options
    Not only that my main question was 'I'm sure this has been asked many times before, but I wondered if anybody had successfully claimed back late payment charges from Virgin Media?'
  • nickventure1973
    Options
    Mine is more expensive. I pay £87.48 per month. I have extras on the package for the telephone mainly.
  • nickventure1973
    Options
    Also I have 200Mb broadband which I need for my work. Any slower and I would not be able to do my work properly. However that still isn't what my main question was asking. I can afford the package , but it means I get this late payment charge every month. They get paid every month without fail, often more than what they require.
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    Options
    Are you still in the minimum contract term? If not then call them up and negotiate!
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Also I have 200Mb broadband which I need for my work. Any slower and I would not be able to do my work properly. However that still isn't what my main question was asking. I can afford the package , but it means I get this late payment charge every month. They get paid every month without fail, often more than what they require.

You can ask them to remove it but unless it amounts to a financial penalty or is being applied due to failures on their end, theres no legal standing to challenge it.

Set up the direct debit. This will give you extra time to pay your bill - you can even pay it by card and then cancel the DD (although you would have to then call them to set up the DD for the next month). If they do take the wrong amount or take it on the wrong date, you have the direct debit guarantee to fall back on.

To be quite honest, you're lucky they don't have you marked as a business account or it would be more than £10 they'd be charging for late payment as businesses are held to different standards.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • nickventure1973
    Options
    I don't think I am thats the problem. I've already told them that I pay every month and they always say they can see that. This issue has been going on for months to be honest. I told them that it is disgraceful that they will only move the payment date if I set up a Direct Debit. They constantly put me in a catch 22 situation really.
  • nickventure1973
    Options
    I know, I work from home though and don't need a business account. If they ever tried to force me with that one I would tell them to ram it as there are other ways for me to get what I need. So they would lose my business altogether.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure