Cheap e-book readers discussion

Options

Comments

• Badger_Lady
    Badger_Lady Posts: 6,264 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    brownfrog wrote: »
    • Free web worldwide: This is quite stunning; if you opt for the 3G Kindle Keyboard you get free internet access (via mobile networks) across most of Europe and some of the world.
      True. But what isn't mentioned here is that this is only to the Kindle store, so I question its usefulness, especially as the other manufacturers have chosen not to bother with it.
    I do need to correct you on this point... the new Kindle Touch 3G (only for sale in the US) does indeed only allow access to Kindle Store and Wikipedia.

However the Kindle Keyboard 3G cited in the article really, really does allow free worldwide internet access via its webkit browser. I use it regularly in a range of different countries to check my email, visit Facebook and even navigate myself with Bing maps when I get lost.

It's the one reason why I chose it for myself and my mother - we both travel internationally a lot and and this is the lowest-budget way to stay in touch when we don't have access to WiFi (since she lives on a boat this is a constant issue for her).
    Mortgage | £145,000Unsecured Debt | [strike]£7,000[/strike] £0 Lodgers | |
  • Mrs_Arcanum
    Mrs_Arcanum Posts: 23,976 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Wi-Fi Kobos were being sold in WH Smiths for £69 before Xmas. I chose this over the Kindle as I am an avid library user. Found it simple enough to use and another recommendation for Calibre.
    Truth always poses doubts & questions. Only lies are 100% believable, because they don't need to justify reality. - Carlos Ruiz Zafon, The Labyrinth of the Spirits
  • WishI'dReadSooner
    Options
    Brownfrog - you are so against Kindles BUT you really should get your facts right.

I bought a 3G Keyboard Kindle like Badger Lady - the 3G comes in EXTREMELY useful - FAR more than I thought it ever would be. I too use quite a bit when away from home. It's a bit of a no brainer paying the extra for 3G and probably is why the Kindle has gained such a following.

The Kindle Keyboard has a battery life of 120hrs or 2hrs a day for 2 months if you just use for reading. If you have Wi-Fi or 3G on then this obviously cuts the time it can be used for reading down - as with ALL readers.

File conversion takes no time using calibre. If you can't use calibre then I doubt you'd be able to use a computer - it's not rocket science just push a button on calibre and it's done for you.

You can buy books from anywhere and just download into calibre within a minute or so the book can be on your Kindle in the correct format.

Personally I think the Kindle 3G keyboard DOES knock the socks off any competition BUT that's just my humble opinion. :)
  • Night_Fury
    Options
    Hi all

I am planning on buying a kindle of some type and am trying to weigh up which is the right choice.

I can either get a Kindle 4 or pay £50 more and get the 3g Kindle 3. Do people think the extra £50 is worth it? I like the idea of being able to annotate (I find the keyboard okay to use), use email etc and audio would be cool, but I am just not entirely sure how much I would really use these and whether the extra cost would be worth it. Having had a play with both in the shop, I do prefer the look and feel of the 3g version but again, the cost is quite a difference.

Any advice?
  • prepareathome
    Options
    Night_Fury wrote: »
    Hi all

I am planning on buying a kindle of some type and am trying to weigh up which is the right choice.

I can either get a Kindle 4 or pay £50 more and get the 3g Kindle 3. Do people think the extra £50 is worth it? I like the idea of being able to annotate (I find the keyboard okay to use), use email etc and audio would be cool, but I am just not entirely sure how much I would really use these and whether the extra cost would be worth it. Having had a play with both in the shop, I do prefer the look and feel of the 3g version but again, the cost is quite a difference.

Any advice?

I went for the 3G version when I bought mine in fact was reason I waited till it came out and found it well worth the money. I find it easier to check emails out and about on the kindle than my phone same for net as screen is bigger. The browser is admittedly slow and can seem a bit clumsy using it at first but you soon get used to it. Basically its really down to would you ever want to look on-line, check emails or anything if you are out with your kindle. If you are never going to do this and just literally use it as an e-reader then not worth paying the extra.
    Need to get back to getting finances under control now kin kid at uni as savings are zilch

Fashion on a ration coupon 2021 - 21 left
  • Badger_Lady
    Options
    I've owned both...

I had the Kindle 4 first. It was small, light, easy to carry and easy to read. I rarely had to use the on-screen keyboard, and I had access to WiFi. The webkit browser still worked for accessing the internet through WiFi, although it was a bit cumbersome to use so I didn't really bother.

Then I had the Kindle Keyboard 3G. It was a little larger and heavier but I quickly became used to the extra weight. I no longer had access to WiFi because I was travelling internationally, so I found the 3G really useful. It also allowed me to access the internet when I had no other options - it was still a bit cumbersome to use but it was worth persisting with because it was my only option for checking emails. The physical keyboard was essential for writing those email replies.

So just ask yourself:
    - How often am I stuck without internet access? (if you have it on your phone, how often are you abroad trying to avoid data roaming charges?)
    - What type of books to I mostly read - am I likely to feel the need to annotate?

If you don't think you're going to use those features, save some money and enjoy the wee pocket-sized Kindle 4. It has newer software that flashes less frequently and is a joy to hold and use as an eReader.
  • Night_Fury
    Options
    I do like to use the internet abroad for searching for local restaurants etc - in fact I will be in Paris in February, so will likely want to do that then. I usually try to use a wifi signal on my phone but this is totally dependent on whether I can get that free at the hotel or not. I guess removing this issue would be nice.

I tend to read as many reference books as I do fiction, so I expect annotation would be very handy there.

I also had a look at the Sony PRS-T1 as an alternative to the Kindle. I quite like the ability to handwrite notes etc and it has audio like the 3g. Anyone have anything to say on this device? The reviews tend to be either 3/5 or 5/5 which doesn't really help! (More down to reviewers preference I guess).

Honestly, I keep coming close to a decision... but then I remember one has this,.. and one has that!! I suppose the 3g has it all (bar touchscreen) but it is that much more expensive...

Thanks for the responses so far. :) I will make a decision!
  • Badger_Lady
    Options
    I also had a look at the Sony PRS-T1 as an alternative to the Kindle. I quite like the ability to handwrite notes etc and it has audio like the 3g. Anyone have anything to say on this device? The reviews tend to be either 3/5 or 5/5 which doesn't really help! (More down to reviewers preference I guess).

It looks like a very good alternative - I've used one of the older Sonys and they're good machines. I'd question that choice based on your answers above though - suddenly you're not getting the benefit of the 3G and you're not getting a physical keyboard. As 'cool' as features like touchscreen and audio are, are they actually worth paying money for? Or have you found one on a particularly cheap deal?
    I suppose the 3g has it all (bar touchscreen) but it is that much more expensive...

You're right there... I was lucky that I picked mine up for $89 (£53-ish) on a business trip to the states :o
  • Night_Fury
    Options
    Yes the 3g access is the possible sticking point. I don't go on holiday that often but when I do, I'm sure it would be useful. Plus I do like to listen to music while I am reading/studying.

I like the idea of a physical keyboard but I am also good with a stylus which I believe is what the Sony allows (plus it does have some buttons - I don't think I'd want a fully touch screen device - my phone annoys me enough!) I can see me getting a bit fed up with the Kindle 4 buttons and on-screen keypad if I was using the internet.

I think it is between the Sony and the 3g in terms of functionality. The Kindle 4 is so much cheaper but I'm beginning to see why.
  • Mrs_Arcanum
    Mrs_Arcanum Posts: 23,976 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Just checked when my Library service will offer e-books and they have clearly stipulated the system will not work with Kindles.
    Truth always poses doubts & questions. Only lies are 100% believable, because they don't need to justify reality. - Carlos Ruiz Zafon, The Labyrinth of the Spirits
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure