My own little MMD

Options

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,731 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    We don't eat out a lot at home but I would always say if we'd been undercharged.
    On holiday, we check the bill carefully - just to make sure they've got everything on that we've had, they are usually small businesses.

I'd do the same in a shop.
    The only time I didn't say anything was when I went into a small butcher shop for couple of things pre-Christmas.
    The woman serving was busy talking to another customer that she'd already served.
    I told her what I wanted - 2 items - she picked up the wrong type of sausage entirely, then she gave me thick instead of thin, then didn't give me the number of links I'd asked for so I had to point that out to her.
    At this point, she was still continuing the conversation (gossiping) with the other person.
    She then asked me what the other item was I wanted, I told her, she got that wrong too.
    I gave her £5.00, she gave me change for £10.00.
    Given that this had taken far longer than it should have done and she'd been rude (she'd never even looked at me, didn't say 'Thank you'), I took the extra £5.00 and popped it in my local hospice shop collecting tin in the pub.
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Options
    elsien wrote: »
    I would generally tell them. Particularly if it's a local business rather than a large chain - they work on very small margins and it doesn't seem right to take advantage of that.

Large chains seem to be loss making these days.
  • paddy's_mum
    paddy's_mum Posts: 3,977 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Surely, in this scenario, it's less about restaurants/food/tips but says everything about you!
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,970 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Tell them, same as if I'm given back too much change in a shop. I'd be sure to say if I was overcharged / short changed so I'm equally sure to say if the mistake is in my favour.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    I would query the bill. My husband wouldn't.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • AlwaysWorking
    Options
    After leaving a restaurant my husband and I realised we'd been undercharged as the waitress had forgotten to add some beers. We went back the next day and paid as I was worried the waitress would get in trouble. When I was a student I worked in a bar (18 years ago!) and a table of four customers left without paying for their drinks/meal (it was Christmas and extremely busy so not noticed until later). Each of the waitresses had their wages docked to cover the cost of the table's Christmas meal, something I would never want someone else to have happen to them.
    "I believe that everything happens for a reason. People change so that you can learn to let go, things go wrong so that you appreciate them when they're right, you believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself, and sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together." Marilyn Monroe
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    After leaving a restaurant my husband and I realised we'd been undercharged as the waitress had forgotten to add some beers. We went back the next day and paid as I was worried the waitress would get in trouble. When I was a student I worked in a bar (18 years ago!) and a table of four customers left without paying for their drinks/meal (it was Christmas and extremely busy so not noticed until later). Each of the waitresses had their wages docked to cover the cost of the table's Christmas meal, something I would never want someone else to have happen to them.
    Something that's not legal in the UK either.

That aside - I don't pay attention to the cost that closely. I would only realise if I was under or overcharged by £10-20.
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I probably wouldn't even notice unless it was quite a difference, say £15+ either way. We tend to go to 'family' type places, which often have kids' meal deals or 2 courses for a fixed price. We don't always intentionally order from those deals but things often go through on a deal anyway, which messes up any tally in my head! If I knew we'd ordered from deals and it wasn't adding up I'd query that, but only if I was fairly confident that it was wrong. To be honest, I don't tend to check really - if the price seems reasonable for what we've had, I pay what's asked.
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,243 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I would point it out and pay the extra. In fact, it has happened to me twice over the past couple of months and I fessed up both times. It's the right thing to do.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    In general, yes I!!!8217;d query the bill as we tend to go to the same places regularly.

However, if the service or the food was poor and it was a place I wouldn!!!8217;t visit again I would be tempted to leave.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure