Hewlett Packard Instant Ink

Options
Truepat
Truepat Posts: 3,278 Forumite
Has anybody ever used HP's instant ink service.
My nephew got an HP Envy 5530 printer for Christmas and JL mentions "Instant Ink" on their site. I have never heard of it and I know nobody who has used it.

My nephew will be using very occasional printing (<50 pages per month) so the basic package at £1.99 per month would be appropriate but I have no idea if that is a good deal or not. The hype seems to imply it is a reasonable saving over original refills (but no mention about "compatible" cartridges).

The standard cartridge only lasts for about 200 pages.
35, semi retired, sun, sand, sea, life is good
When you are done moaning remember that there are people who would love to have your standard of living!

Comments

• S0litaire
    S0litaire Posts: 3,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I've not used it.
    I'd give compatibles a go for a while.
    Might work out cheaper in the long run.
    Laters

Sol

"Have you found the secrets of the universe? Asked Zebade "I'm sure I left them here somewhere"
  • Truepat
    Truepat Posts: 3,278 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks guys, your comments and links are appreciated.
    35, semi retired, sun, sand, sea, life is good
    When you are done moaning remember that there are people who would love to have your standard of living!
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    DannyDowns wrote: »
    Basically what you're doing is entering into a contract for them to send you so many ink cartridges per month (or period) based on the number of pages you think you're going to be printing.

All printer companies make more out of selling ink than they do from selling printers.

Printer companies make more money out of selling a single complete set of inks than from selling a printer/scanner/copier for £50, so they need to get you hooked. Some manufacturers will make ink cartridges with a tiny capacity (despite the printer being 80% wasted space) so they can sell more sets. Some will invent spurious expiry dates when the cartridge will self destruct. Others will only print x copies per cartridge regardless of whether that color was used or not. Some will 'clear print heads' frequently to waste more ink. Some make you print an ink-heavy test page if you change cartridge, or switch the machine off.

Printer ink costs more than blood plasma, more than the best vintage wines, more than unicorn tears. It's a massive and abusive swizz, don't encourage them. Good quality compatibles (eg JetTec) will save you far far more, and if the worst came to the worst and you destroyed a printer using cheapo compatible cartridges the savings after 2-3 sets of ink would offset a whole new printer. Extremely wasteful industry.
  • Handsome90
    Handsome90 Posts: 505 Forumite
    Options
    I was very tempted by their Instant Ink offer and was hoping my current printer goes kaput so that I can buy a new one. I think it's a good offer compared to what other manufacturers are offering and you can cancel at anytime. Also, I read that even if you print a photo, the printer will count that as printing 1 page, which is a really good saving!
  • spud17
    spud17 Posts: 4,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    paddyrg wrote: »
    Printer companies make more money out of selling a single complete set of inks than from selling a printer/scanner/copier for £50, so they need to get you hooked. Some manufacturers will make ink cartridges with a tiny capacity (despite the printer being 80% wasted space) so they can sell more sets. Some will invent spurious expiry dates when the cartridge will self destruct. Others will only print x copies per cartridge regardless of whether that color was used or not. Some will 'clear print heads' frequently to waste more ink. Some make you print an ink-heavy test page if you change cartridge, or switch the machine off.

Printer ink costs more than blood plasma, more than the best vintage wines, more than unicorn tears. It's a massive and abusive swizz, don't encourage them. Good quality compatibles (eg JetTec) will save you far far more, and if the worst came to the worst and you destroyed a printer using cheapo compatible cartridges the savings after 2-3 sets of ink would offset a whole new printer. Extremely wasteful industry.

Still sitting on the fence I see. :)

Nice summation.

p.s. I've always used JetTec in my ancient Canon i560
    Move along, nothing to see.
  • kjmpde
    kjmpde Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've not got a printer yet but interested in this offer . But yet to find out what happens if on holiday etc. as the website implies that if the internet is down or the printer is not used for some time that the whole connection has to be restarted. That needs to be factored into any decisions as I switch off my router when on holiday or away for a few days. I believe that instant inks would not be suitable for those using a dongle either.
  • gdes
    gdes Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Truepat wrote: »
    Has anybody ever used HP's instant ink service.
    My nephew got an HP Envy 5530 printer for Christmas and JL mentions "Instant Ink" on their site. I have never heard of it and I know nobody who has used it.

My nephew will be using very occasional printing (<50 pages per month) so the basic package at £1.99 per month would be appropriate but I have no idea if that is a good deal or not. The hype seems to imply it is a reasonable saving over original refills (but no mention about "compatible" cartridges).

The standard cartridge only lasts for about 200 pages.

It's interesting as HP claim the cartridges last 1500 pages also
    on their uk site they state delivery is included in the monthly plan & when you go to sign up it costs almost as much again for standard delivery.
    I came out before finishing the enrolment when I found out. However I received an email to say thanks for enrolling... Have you tried to contact HP you don't get a response!!!
  • lisa701
    lisa701 Posts: 414 Forumite
    Options
    I'd seen this scheme advertised and was considering buying a compatable printer.

My HP printer isnt that old but it drinks the ink like there is no tomorrow. Last week I purchased two brand new original HP cartridges, they have only been used for 4 days, printed no more than 50 pages and the colour is already flashing up as empty. Printer is set to draft quality and I've not been printing lots of photos.

Wondered if this scheme would make it more afofrdable.
  • RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,790 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I considered this when they tried to sign me up at the start. After reading the T&C's I decided not to let them have the access to my printing habits (limited though they be).
    Besides, it wouldn't have saved me anything. I do little printing these days. Photographs are printed by online means, although even that is a rare occasion as they are all stored and viewed via PC/TV/Tablet/Phone these days.
    Documents are all stored electronically with no need to print them ever.
    I only have an HP printer as the ink doesn't dry out as fast as some and if it does it's just a cartridge change and not a ruined Print Head. I think the amount of time a cartridge lasts (print wise) depends on your printer model.
    I can imagine a time, not too far away, when the printer goes altogether...
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • lisa701
    Options
    I use my printer a lot for both black and colour. I rarely print photographs anymore but thats only because of the cost of ink.

I just want to find a more affordable way of continuing to print the papers I require for home office and my studies.

I'm trying to get my head around how it works. I buy a new cartridge now and it gives a suggested number of pages it will last, but it never lasts that long. So how can this work? Surely if they are using the same sort of calculation then I'm going to run out well before they send me new inks.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback