Great British Invest off or Passive V Active Updates

Options

Comments

• Prism
    Prism Posts: 3,803 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Prism Global is 105988

Although I have about 30% in tech and china which has taken a hit over the last few days I also have a good amount in consumer, industrials and healthcare which has allowed for a small positive increase in November
  • bostonerimus
    bostonerimus Posts: 5,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    bowlhead99 wrote: »
    Interesting, on the face of it the percentages look more positive than TBC and BLB who both got negative results over the month and TBC said it was a bit disappointing.

But if we keep score in the same currency: your $103179 at £0.7404 to the dollar is now only worth £76,396 ; whereas the end of October your $101548 at £0.7532 to the dollar was £76482 invested ; a loss of a few hundred pounds of value over the month of November even though all your holdings were positive in your currency of measurement.

Obviously your objective is to earn returns of dollars rather than pounds and everyone here is investing with different objectives anyway, but it does make a bit of a mess of comparing the results of [style a] vs [style b] if the measurement of success is in a different currency for one person than it is for another.

I'm investing with dollars in US domiciled funds and spending dollars, those in the UK are using pounds, so just comparing the percentage gains in the currency we spend seems an appropriate way to gauge relative success.

November was similar to October for me, but little can be learned from results over just 2 months. I expect to be in the middle for gains over the long haul......some active portfolios will beat my lazy index approach and some will do worse.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    I'm investing with dollars in US domiciled funds and spending dollars, those in the UK are using pounds, so just comparing the percentage gains in the currency we spend seems an appropriate way to gauge relative success.

It depends what you use the results for. If a £-based investor were to simply copy your portfolio their reported returns would be rather different. Which ones are "correct" for the purposes of judging the relative success of the portfolio?
  • finellah
    finellah Posts: 104 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    FinellahVLS80 2.0
    Finellah 1.8
  • TBC15
    TBC15 Posts: 1,452 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 1 December 2017 at 6:34PM
    Options
    Bostonerimus, Linton would you care to join me on the discussion thread.

In 10 yrs time when this exercise has any relevance we will be glad we didn’t plant the spuds with Sitka spruce.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Linton wrote: »
    It depends what you use the results for. If a £-based investor were to simply copy your portfolio their reported returns would be rather different. Which ones are "correct" for the purposes of judging the relative success of the portfolio?

As Bostonerimus posted, he is investing in $ though. Potentially would take an opposing view to ourselves. As exchange rates don't just move against the £ but all other major currencies. I know large swings in exchange rates influence my investment trading decisions. This is just a bit of fun after all.
  • chrisgg
    chrisgg Posts: 68 Forumite
    Options
    A modest 0.8% for me. Continental European holdings struggled.
  • ams25
    ams25 Posts: 260 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    AMS25 active - 102203

AMS25 passive - 101875

not a great month for either, but active edged this time.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    End of Year

Don't let your Granny loose at the dogs SIPP £103,375
    (+3.37%).

Cash Balance Held £1,249.18p. ( Dividends/income accrued and paid)

Now that the cash in hand balance exceeds £1k. I intend investing the available money in the same stock (same price plus dealing commission and stamp duty) as I next purchase in January for my actual SIPP. Will result in a divergence between the portfolios though will reflect actual trades.
  • TBC15
    TBC15 Posts: 1,452 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    A Happy and prosperous New Year To you all.

Dec 2017 results

TBC15 £108,091 8.1%
    BLB53 £103,360 3.4%
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family