REMO-Reciprocal Enforcement of Maintenance Order

Options

Comments

• Kimi31
    Kimi31 Posts: 68 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Micro :-)

I haven't heard anything about a 40.00 fee...whats that all about???
    I have been directly in contact with a guy from Liverpool who has sent me forms, had me email them back to him, he has gone through them and neated them up and i assume printed them off his side so i can sign them in front of the magistrate???
    He said i will be in court for about 15-30mins.
    I email him once a week and will continue to do so while it going through

I am like you, half the time i feel like saying stuff your money up your big butt but why should i???

Like i mentioned i think he is paying back taxes through a garnishment, but then again he hasnt mentioned it for a while so i suspect he got a tax rebate( by claiming the girls as dependents) and they have applied that to his bill and possible cancelled it out. I cant see how he would be paying the regular bill back to IRS as his job is commission only and its not a regular income...
    Im hoping he gets paid via his employer and that they will be able to take a garnishment before he is paid.

Sounds like we are both well rid doesnt it :T
  • mico62
    mico62 Posts: 164 Forumite
    Options
    Kimi, between you and me I don't think they know what they're doing. I first phoned in July and was told to write in with a copy of my consent order. In Sept I got a letter on behalf of a judge saying I hadn't followed the correct procedure which is how I ended up going back to my divorce solicitor. Up til then I was speaking to someone called Steve but he only deals with the magistrates side and my order was made in the county court so not as straightforward.

When I submitted the paperwork I asked if I had to complete any forms and they weren't aware of any, I only knew about the £40 fee cos my solicitor had told me about it, they didn't realise I had to pay.

On a positive note the AGs office in Texas have emailed me saying they'll enforce the order as soon as they receive the paperwork.
  • PlayingHardball
    Options
    Kimi, Micro, Anxious....I can't help but notice that the NRP here causing all this grief and very willing to turn their backs on their kids, are Americans and Canadians..............makes me ashamed to be North American by birth!
  • Kimi31
    Options
    Kimi, Micro, Anxious....I can't help but notice that the NRP here causing all this grief and very willing to turn their backs on their kids, are Americans and Canadians..............makes me ashamed to be North American by birth!

Hardball, Dont be ashamed....its nothing you've done ....lol

Micro, i am too dealing with Steve. I wonder if mine is straight forward in the sense there is no order made in the UK? I have no idea what a consent order is. When we got divorced I went for a straight divorce on grounds of separation of 2 yrs plus and of course i filed here as i was getting legal aid at the time so it cost him NOTHING....

I will be emailing Steve with regards to the 40.00 fee as i will need to budget over the next two weeks for that if that is required, as guess what im broke ....cos i dont get child support ...lol

Do your consent order give a predefined amount of child support that your NRP is supposed to be paying? As i have to wait for the US court to make an order i envisage a lot of too-ing and fro-ing and im sure they will want all my financials but i will have to wait and see.

Hey guys, this will make you laugh...the Irony of it all....I work for the CSA....:rotfl:

Im hoping the NRP has either heard about REMO and thinks i dont know anything about it, or doesnt have a clue that it could be enforced internationally. Either way, i wonder if the person who serves him in the US could take a camera as im sure his face will be a picture...thats just me being bitter....:)
  • mico62
    mico62 Posts: 164 Forumite
    Options
    Kimi, yours should be free, Steve only deals with the magistrates, its county court cases that incur the fee. My consent order covered the financial side of our divorce, and rather than pay 20% as per uk and texan law when he lives he specified an amount until our youngest finished her first degree. The amount was considerably less than he'd been paying but for a couple of years he paid more, probably so he could brag to his colleagues that he only had to pay $x but was giving me $y.

When we were divorcing he ignored everything so I had to keep swearing affidavits when his mum mentioned something. He didn't turn up for our first financial hearing (not allowed to leave the states til he got his greencard) and the judge moved straight to a final hearing and slapped a penal order on the notification. A friend in Texas knew a process server and all 6ft 7 of him turned up at his door one day, surprisingly he instructed a solicitor the following day :rotfl:

I'm wondering if he's applied for citizenship because he's told a friend UK law no longer applies to him, I so hope he's wrong and my consent order still applies.
  • PlayingHardball
    Options
    Hiya, no I'm not really ashamed....but the NRP should definately feel shame. Why bring a child or children into the world and feel it okay to walk away?!

My Remo is going very slow due to several things, one of them being all documents need to be officially translated. Another is that the ex is telling them he IS supporting his child here in the UK!

The good thing is, I have finally received my tribunal hearing date in the UK. If I am successful, the CSA will once again be involved, so my ex will have it firing at him from 2 angles, REMO and UK CSA.

The ex obviously want to avoid a REMO enforcement on him where he is temporarily working, so he's prepared to tell them anything and I then have to refute it! This goes back and forth, back and forth in 2 languages, very annoyingly. However, the good thing is that he has provided me with invaluable evidence to discredit him during the tribunal he will have to attend here in the UK.

Not that I'll enjoy doing that......much!
  • Lainep
    Lainep Posts: 193 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My own REMO application has stalled because I am unable to provide a current address for my ex and the Irish authorities say there is no arrangement between our countries for them to trace him!
    I am aware that the CSA have an up to date address for him, can my magistrates court request that the CSA provide them with that information, or does the Data Protection Act prevent it?

Any advise gratefully received.

Thanks.
  • AnxiousMum
    AnxiousMum Posts: 2,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oh PHB - just think of all the people of other than North American nationality who aren't as lucky as North American PWC's to have a system that actually works - there are non payers/supporters the world over......just that North America takes it alot more seriously and doesn't allow them to get away with it. Mind you - I think they are better at making proper financial calculations than some of the CSA horror stories I hear - maybe North Americans are better mathmeticians!

I have learnt this weekend, that the lump sum of retroactive child support actually appears to have come from the very child's trust fund which I started for him as a child for university, and has been substantially addd to by a great aunt from her will. One account matured on October 23rd, and they are in lots of $4,000 - statement was dated October 13th - the ex's payment was sent to Family maintenance enforcement on the 23rd in the sum of.....you guessed it.......$4,000. Not quite sure how to handle this one - the account is in my son's and his father's name (was the ex's Aunt who left the bulk of the money). Stealing from the child's account to pay child support arrears.....nice guy! He doesn't receive any of his trust account until the 2nd year of university - but 21 yr old now going to have to try and get a statement for his account - but at this point, I'm not impressed.
  • Kimi31
    Options
    AnxiousMum wrote: »
    just that North America takes it alot more seriously and doesn't allow them to get away with it.

This is what i am hoping. I am not after blood or hundreds of $, i want a regular fair consistent child support payment for the children. Its not to much to ask.
  • Kimi31
    Options
    Anxious- that is truly despicable. I wonder how these NRPs sleep at night. I think mine thinks that i have some endless pot of money and if he fails to give any over i am ok, that i can draw on it. I have sold all my god, ebayed all i can ebay and sold off other stuff. I have no tricks left now.....except REMO which i dont feel positive about at all.

Lainep- Doubt very much CSA can disclose an address, even with a court order, it is Data Protection. May be worth enquiring though. But i am sure our team had a case a while ago which had a letter from a magistrate come in and we simply couldnt provide the requested info

Eveyone- Im glad i have found this forum, they are few and far between....

:beer:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure