We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Garden quote

Options
I know it's how long is a piece of string but I was wondering if this seems a fair quote.

I have decking which seems to be of very poor quality in my garden. I need it changing so that I can (hopefully) use the garden this summer.

I've had a quote for removing the decking, putting in the flags in MOT & sand, laying flags on a cement base & pointing of £2600 plus materials.

It's not a big garden and I need approx 40sqm of flags.

Does £2600 -£3000.00 of labour seem expensive I'm in the northwest if that makes any difference.

Thanks

Rileybaby

Comments

• Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Rileybaby, you might be better off asking on the In My Home board - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39 seems to be lots of advice re quotes on there.
  • Rileybaby
    Rileybaby Posts: 238 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Chris25 wrote: »
    Rileybaby, you might be better off asking on the In My Home board - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39 seems to be lots of advice re quotes on there.

Thanks Chris25
  • Rain_Shadow
    Rain_Shadow Posts: 1,798 Forumite
    Options
    That's 12-14 man days. Doesn't seem outrageous for a good job.
    You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose but you can't pick your friend's nose.
  • Rileybaby
    Options
    How would you expect a job like is to take rain shadow?
  • determined_new_ms
    Options
    I just had my patio relaid. 34 sqms. I got a builder to do the work for me rather than a lanscaper and paid him £600. I got reclaimed indian flagstones for £480 including delivery.

In terms of the work you could remove the decking yourself to bring the cost down.

It's really worth looking around and getting different quotes. Due to cost we have had to have our garden done in sections (1 a year!) and when we had the lawn installed one quote 1 had was £10k! One £3k and one £1800!
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • Rileybaby
    Options
    Thanks determined new ms that's a massive difference! I thought about builders yesterday and have approached 2 for quotes so hopefully they will be more reasonable!

I didn't even think of reclaimed stone! I'll look in to yards local to e.

Can I ask what area your in?
  • determined_new_ms
    determined_new_ms Posts: 7,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 24 April 2017 at 7:03AM
    Options
    I'm in the south east but I got the tiles from a reclamation yard in Sussex. Delivery was only £60

when the builder originally gave me the quote he suggested getting new tiles from a builders merchant and the cost would have been £1000 for tiles alone. We have had a crazy paving design and he was intending to break up flag stones, which I didn't think was a wise investment. I literally spent a few hours looking online and it was the fact of wanting broken stones that made it harder to find them. I found a number of companies online that had many stones but the type at the quantity was harder to find.
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • crisp
    crisp Posts: 435 Forumite
    Options
    I would have thought one man would do it a good job in 3 days. 2 days longer if the surface needs a cement base.

So max 5 days and £500-600 would be my target
  • Rain_Shadow
    Rain_Shadow Posts: 1,798 Forumite
    Options
    crisp wrote: »
    I would have thought one man would do it a good job in 3 days. 2 days longer if the surface needs a cement base.

So max 5 days and £500-600 would be my target

I don't know many people who would do a decent job for £100 a day.
    You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose but you can't pick your friend's nose.
  • Rileybaby
    Options
    I don't know many people who would do a decent job for £100 a day.

What would suggest the going daily rate would be?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure