PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Does anyone want to join me waiting to find a house to buy?

Options

Comments

• MeandO
    MeandO Posts: 2,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hello all, hope you don't mind me dropping in to say hi.

I'm in the same position as many of you - I've sold my house (nearly a month ago), found the perfect house for myself and my little boy, offer accepted, survey arranged etc, only to be majorly let down by the vendors resulting in losing the house. I even offered them £10K over asking price in the end (long story, shan't go into it). Now I can't find anything that is vaguely suitable for us, despite upping my budget by £10k.

There is just nothing coming onto the market at the moment. I pretty much live and breathe house hunting at the moment, it's so stressful.

I'm viewing 4 more properties this afternoon, all of which have issues (lack of parking/small garden/location not great etc.), but I am now of the mindset that I should at least view and hopefully we be surprised... :(

Renting or staying with relatives is not an option for me, so I risk losing my buyers soon if I can't find somewhere.

Not a happy bunny at the moment.

I hope the rest of you have found your perfect homes by now!

M
    x
    Mortgage @ 03/2019: £125K, Now: £66,970
    Mortgage OP's 2024: £738.03 Total OP’s: £8948.59
    SAVINGS: EF: £6923.98/£15,000 XMAS: £607.21 CAR/HOUSE: £550
  • copperjar
    Options
    Welcome to the thread MeandO. How upsetting to have found a property and then have to start all over again. Someone once told me on here (when I was going through a lot of stress with a job offer that felll through) that everything happens for a reason. I hated that pearl of wisdom at the time but guess what? I got a better job shortly after! I'm hoping the same will be true of the house hunting lark - good things come to those who wait??

I had an email back from the solicititor this week advising me to send back the paperwork (I emailed her first so it wasn't a chasing one). It's sent me into a bit of a spin because she said the buyers solicitor was chasing for the paperwork while the EA told me to hang fire until we find somewhere. I guess I should start the ball rolling though. Our buyers said end of Sept would be reasonable to wait so we're just hoping the market picks up now summer holidays are over. Literally a couple of houses at most coming up a week - mainly out of our price range! I do think we should start seeing more now though rather than wait for the "perfect" one to come up. There will need to be compromises.

Watched location, location, location this week and the two buyers reminded me of me and my partner. Neither found anywhere by the end of the programme! I need to accept that what I'm waiting for might not actually exist
    [STRIKE]
    Total debt 1.11.10 £23,446
    [/STRIKE]
    Save £6k in 2015 #129 £6121.66/£6000
    Save £6k in 2016 #39 £6000/£6000
  • MeandO
    Options
    I can totally relate to the pearls of wisdom Copperjar - if one more person tells me 'it just wasn't meant to be' I may not be held responsible for my actions! :rotfl:I'm so upset by it, I can't even drive down that area past the house at the moment.

I am actually downsizing and buying cheaper so that I can cut my hours at work and spend more time with my little one. I don't think I'm being partiuclarly fussy in what I want - just somewhere off the road with parking, large ish garden and 3 beds minimum. I even have the budget to cover it - I just can't find ANYTHING that ticks those four boxes.

I do hope something comes up for you soon. It really is so frustrating isn't it.

Yes, it may be a good idea to view everything within your price range, even if it doesn't look perfect on paper. You never know, something may surprise you. That's exactly what I'm having to do now, can't say it's filling me with optimism, but I guess I have to try.

Fingers crossed for you x
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 10,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    copperjar wrote: »
    Welcome to the thread MeandO. How upsetting to have found a property and then have to start all over again. Someone once told me on here (when I was going through a lot of stress with a job offer that felll through) that everything happens for a reason. I hated that pearl of wisdom at the time but guess what? I got a better job shortly after! I'm hoping the same will be true of the house hunting lark - good things come to those who wait??

I had an email back from the solicititor this week advising me to send back the paperwork (I emailed her first so it wasn't a chasing one). It's sent me into a bit of a spin because she said the buyers solicitor was chasing for the paperwork while the EA told me to hang fire until we find somewhere. I guess I should start the ball rolling though. Our buyers said end of Sept would be reasonable to wait so we're just hoping the market picks up now summer holidays are over. Literally a couple of houses at most coming up a week - mainly out of our price range! I do think we should start seeing more now though rather than wait for the "perfect" one to come up. There will need to be compromises.

Watched location, location, location this week and the two buyers reminded me of me and my partner. Neither found anywhere by the end of the programme! I need to accept that what I'm waiting for might not actually exist

Have you thought about leafleting potential houses you may want to move to? Somebody could be sitting waiting to put their house on the market and you could get in there first. My friend sold her house to somebody who leafleted them so it can work.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• copperjar
    Options
    Slinky wrote: »
    Have you thought about leafleting potential houses you may want to move to? Somebody could be sitting waiting to put their house on the market and you could get in there first. My friend sold her house to somebody who leafleted them so it can work.

Have thought about it but not done it yet. I'd be scared about leafleting houses way out of my league price wise. It's not always clear from the outside in the area I live what sort of prices houses should go for. Or maybe that's just a risk I take?!
    [STRIKE]
    Total debt 1.11.10 £23,446
    [/STRIKE]
    Save £6k in 2015 #129 £6121.66/£6000
    Save £6k in 2016 #39 £6000/£6000
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 10,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    copperjar wrote: »
    Have thought about it but not done it yet. I'd be scared about leafleting houses way out of my league price wise. It's not always clear from the outside in the area I live what sort of prices houses should go for. Or maybe that's just a risk I take?!

Faint heart never won fair lady.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• amateur_house
    Options
    :hello: I am trying to find a house so joining this thread.

I have been searching since January but there isn't much on in my budget. I had an offer accepted at 11% below asking price on a house I thought was overpriced. It had been on 10 weeks and according to the estate agent there had been a lot of viewings but my offer was the first one they'd had. Trouble is the survey has come back saying the house needs rewiring, has lead plumbing that needs replacing and also has extensive rising damp and penetrating damp. This is so disheartening, I feel that I am back at square one after nearly 10 months house hunting :(:(
  • MeandO
    Options
    It' so frustrating isn't it amatwur house. it does sound like that place is going to be a money pit though :(

Well only one of my four viewings yesterday went ahead, as the state agent didn't show up for the other 3! Fuming is not the word, don't get me started.
    The one I did see was just awful, two of the others I had lined up I was really not fussed about anyway and the last one, I spotted issues when driving past it.

A couple more houses have come onto the market over the weekend. Both would 'do', but not really ideal and not what I was looking for (both relatively 'boxy' new builds).
    Am starting to lose the will...
  • amateur_house
    Options
    MeandO wrote: »
    It' so frustrating isn't it amatwur house. it does sound like that place is going to be a money pit though :(

Well only one of my four viewings yesterday went ahead, as the state agent didn't show up for the other 3! Fuming is not the word, don't get me started.
    The one I did see was just awful, two of the others I had lined up I was really not fussed about anyway and the last one, I spotted issues when driving past it.

A couple more houses have come onto the market over the weekend. Both would 'do', but not really ideal and not what I was looking for (both relatively 'boxy' new builds).
    Am starting to lose the will...

I think it will, I did consider trying to renegotiate the price, but don't know if I can face the amount of work involved to sort the house out anyway.

It's not very professional of the estate agent to just not turn up. I had that happen once, and when I got home and checked right move the house had gone under offer. It would be nice if they let you know that they cancelled the viewings though.

How long have you been house hunting?
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I viewed my first one in Leigh-on-Sea today!

Loved it. But really want to get a couple of things done to the house before selling, plus the mortgage deal doesn't expire 'til April.

We need to know we can get what we want in the budget before selling so I wanted a little nose. It needs a shed-load of work though and is already substantially over budget.

Walked past another two we liked on paper, but ruled one out cos of the road, and the other one couldn't fit us in which was a pain, but it is one we'd consider.

Tough getting the timings right. I hope this one hangs around for a while cos if it's still up at the end of the year, I would happily offer.

Good luck all :)

Jx
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills