Do you have a cleaner?

Options

Comments

• Doody
    Doody Posts: 122 Forumite
    Options
    Get a robotic vacuum!

Not if you have a dog with unreliable toilet habits. Read this https://www.facebook.com/jesse.newton.37/posts/776177951574
    'Get Brexit done' is a lie[
    "Your deal won’t get Brexit done, Mr Johnson. It gets you to the start line, and then the real tough stuff begins"
    Betty Boothroyd
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,968 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Chappers27 wrote: »
    When I was married we employed a cleaner, but my ex-wife used to tidy up the place before she turned up. Crackers.

That is the result I want. We tidy the house ready for the cleaner, so we end up with a tidy and clean house.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • scottish_lassy
    Options
    I'd feel I had to tidy before the cleaner arrived!!!!!
    :rotfl:
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    I have employed a cleaner when I was working full-time, but don't now I am retired.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • alipops1986
    Options
    We have a cleaner, 2 hours every other week - £11 an hour.

This started nearly 2 years ago now, when I returned to full time work following the birth of my first child. OH was also working full time and to be honest, the state of the house was getting me down. We did tidy but it wasn't cleaned as such.

So, I decided we were having a cleaner. They're not easy to find near us - i've been through three in 2 years. First we used a fairly big cleaning company which was too expensive really, I then managed to find a woman who had her own business. That worked really well for about 6 months until she left a note one day saying she wasn't coming back, as decided to stop cleaning, and she posted the house keys through the door! My current cleaner, was recommended by a friend and has been fantastic, although she insists on coming 2 hours every other week, rather than once a month for four hours.

Alipops x
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes. She's great

Bloke on my own. I wouldn't clean half as well as she does (and that's being generous!).

She's been coming here for years. She and my cat get on very well (very important) and she will drop in to see/feed him if I'm away. Sadly, I don't see her much. She has a key and usually visits when I am out

Money very well spent from my point of view!
  • haras_nosirrah
    Options
    yes. hubby works full time, I work 42 hours a week and have a 1 year old and a 4 year old. I don't get time to pee in peace and drink a hot cup of tea let alone clean the house
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • warby68
    warby68 Posts: 3,022 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes, 2h a week - she does downstairs and main bathroom in that time. We (well, me) do bedrooms and other bathrooms.

Keeps my head above water, originally started due to illness but later due to sheer demands on time.

She is truly worth her weight in gold - the value she adds to our quality of life is huge compared to the amount we pay.
  • lush_walrus
    lush_walrus Posts: 1,975 Forumite
    Options
    Yes - i love having a cleaner. Ours has been with us for 6 years and we now have a tailored routine that suits us both. She comes 3 times a week 2.5 / 3 hours each visit Mon, Wed and Fri at times that fit with her, we are all out most weeks so it doesn't matter to us what time she does it. She spends a day a week cleaning the household a normal clean, she spends one day on externals (windows outside one week, inside the next, hard surfaces the next, cleaning the garden furniture and the 4th week is the garden building when we aren't using it.

The 3rd day again rotates the task inside kitchen cupboards, the larder, deep cleaning the oven, dishwasher, washing machine, fridge freezer. Deep cleaning bathroom cupboards, the tiles, mirrors etc. Cleaning our wardrobes and hall storage (taking all out checking for moths putting back), cleaning all light switches, plug sockets door handles, deep cleaning carpets.

Our house is always super clean without us having to spend the time doing it. I don't really understand those who say they tidy before the cleaner comes, well yes the house should be tidy that's not a cleaners role. Cleaners clean inhabitants decide how tidy they want to live.
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have a cleaner comes every week for 2 hours - she charges £12.50 an hour.
    I have a man who mows the grass front & back every month & cuts the hedges as & when needed. He charges £25 for the grass.
    I have a window cleaner comes every 3 months does inside & out - £28
    I get the oven (oven & grill) cleaned probably annually, I live alone, I don't use it loads.
    I get my car cleaned inside & out every couple of months (when I think of it, I'm not car proud!!!) £20
    I think that's the lot!!! Apart from beauty services :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure