PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Options

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Willowx wrote: »
    I never have brown sauce, I've not tried it since I was a child but I didn't like it then, I like things now that I didn't as a child but a bottle of sauce take the better part of a year to get through if I do like it and I don't like throwing things away if I don't have to.
    I'm the same with tomato ketchup have a bottle in the fridge for visiting offspring or the odd recipe but have never liked it as a sauce:)
  • sitesafe
    sitesafe Posts: 544 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi...just checking in and enjoying reading the updates..

Today I've been quite good as I haven't really had much choice as there are no goodies in the house so I can only eat the healthy foods that are in...

Breakfast - usual porridge with banana and a few prunes
    Snacks - brazil nut a few almonds, 2 oatcakes
    Lunch - tuna and red onion sandwich (ys bread), few slices of cucumber, an apple
    Dinner - I made a kind of root vegetable ragu tonight. I used up half of the 55p stewpack (which is root vegetables in case anyone isn't aware) - I oven roasted a small onion, few carrots, parsnip, small turnip with some garlic and rosemary, whilst that was cooking lightly friend an onion, added a little tomato puree and a tin of tomatoes and simmered until veg were ready...added veg to tomato mix with the tiniest amount of chilli sauce, then salt and pepper. Left to simmer a little longer whilst I made some cous cous ...so this was supper. The recipe had said to add a green leaf vegetable also, like kale, but I didn't have any. Anyway the meal was satisfying even though very little protein in it although I guess some in the cous cous? Enough for tomorrow too (she says through gritted teeth)... Although it was nice I do think that with tinned tomatoes as a base that many meals often taste quite samey and predictable - don't get me wrong this was tasty but I have tasted that taste so many times before so the only thing that made it different was the root vegetables...still the only other option tonight would have been lentil bolognese which is lovely but again quite samey...so I have meals lined up for the next 3 days but reckon I'll run out of milk by then and have to go to the shop...
  • sitesafe
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    There seems to be so much confusion on this some say pickles/olives don't count due too the high salt others they are fine. Given that preserving fruit/veg is the mainstay of so many of the lauded "healthy diets" from around the world why would they not count;). Equally some say 5/10 different fruit/veg others as much variety as possible. I get why juice/smoothies and processed stuff like tinned soup/baked beans only count as one regardless of portion size but the rest of it pfft....:mad: Me to be honest I like my fruit & veg, pickles and pulses etc. so not a chore to eat but do I eat 10 under the strictest guidlines nope do I actually care nope but think there is a real risk that the mixed messages are going to put folk off as it just seems like too much hard work.......:cool:
    Steps back off of soap box and continues eating her veg laden very tasty savoury mince with pasta........ :D
    Yes by putting out that message it does risk people eating too much salt thinking they are being healthy because it's a pickle. Like smoothies aren't as healthy as people think because of the high concentrated sugar level as the natural fruit itself although it contains sugar it is slow released in the body, but by blending it down it's instantly exposed - not to mention how bad this is for tooth enamel. Plus you can miss out on the fibre with smoothies but if I liked them I'd still have them (but I don't).... I guess we're lucky that we have these choices really..
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    to pop to corner shop for milk as have a visitor. Glad I did got this lot for £3.37 instead of £12, all stashed in freezer.

WP_20170302_20_13_18_Pro.jpg
    Slimming World at target
  • sitesafe
    Options
    meg72 wrote: »
    to pop to corner shop for milk as have a visitor. Glad I did got this lot for £3.37 instead of £12, all stashed in freezer.

Wow well done...those are great markdowns!
  • caronc
    Options
    sitesafe wrote: »
    Hi...just checking in and enjoying reading the updates..

Dinner - I made a kind of root vegetable ragu tonight. I used up half of the 55p stewpack (which is root vegetables in case anyone isn't aware) - I oven roasted a small onion, few carrots, parsnip, small turnip with some garlic and rosemary, whilst that was cooking lightly friend an onion, added a little tomato puree and a tin of tomatoes and simmered until veg were ready...added veg to tomato mix with the tiniest amount of chilli sauce, then salt and pepper. Left to simmer a little longer whilst I made some cous cous ...so this was supper. The recipe had said to add a green leaf vegetable also, like kale, but I didn't have any. Anyway the meal was satisfying even though very little protein in it although I guess some in the cous cous? Enough for tomorrow too (she says through gritted teeth)... Although it was nice I do think that with tinned tomatoes as a base that many meals often taste quite samey and predictable - don't get me wrong this was tasty but I have tasted that taste so many times before so the only thing that made it different was the root vegetables...still the only other option tonight would have been lentil bolognese which is lovely but again quite samey...so I have meals lined up for the next 3 days but reckon I'll run out of milk by then and have to go to the shop...
    Could you turn the leftovers into a chilli to make it slightly different? :)
  • caronc
    Options

Wow didn't you do well I miss my YS rummages :)
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Wow didn't you do well I miss my YS rummages :)

Since I started the use up challenge I am only buying too good to miss stuff.
    Slimming World at target
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 3 March 2017 at 6:48AM
    Options
    sitesafe wrote: »
    .... didn't bother making it in the end as there was no food blender in my or my boss's house....I have used a hand blender in the past but ended up making such a mess in the kitchen that it put me off!

I get this. I bought a cheap stick blender some years ago, finally got round to using it the other month and made a mess, it didn't really blend much (I think you're supposed to use it 10x as long as I did) and the white plastic on it stained.... spent ages trying a variety of ways to clean it. I will hesitate to use it again.
    ... risk that the mixed messages are going to put folk off as it just seems like too much hard work....... Steps back off of soap box ..... :D
    You can keep that box out, I'll use it.

It is confusing - if you took it your own way and muddled through it might be doable some days - but the Internet brings in a whole raft of "smug bugg4hs" who are fitting it all in (they say) ... and will beat down anybody else with the "if I can do it you can" attitude.

I think the hardest bit is taking the list, crossing off what you don't like, then crossing off what's too expensive, then looking at the few items left and wondering how to fit them into a meal plan without radically changing everything that you eat overnight.

I just work on the method of: "Yeah, I read your list ... I'll see if I can find a quick win."

As somebody who has never had a smoothie/doesn't have a machine and really don't fancy drinking lumpy gloop I won't be force feeding myself with something nasty just to hit some target.

Others seem to eat a lot of salad - personally I've never seen the point of it, it's expensive and not filling. If I am paying money for food I want it to fill me up!
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options

HUGE haul! Although if I'd been there I'd have only bought the corned beef probably ... maybe the eggs ... I'd have wanted the sausages but maybe not bought them.

It seems to me that most people who shout out their great YS stuff live near a Morries - yours is probably the first "corner shop" haul I've seen. I never go into "corner shops" as my nearest one has poor parking and is further away than Lidl and Aldi (who both have good parking and a huge range of food).

My nearest "corner shop" is a Spar. I always feel like a shoplifter in small shops as I am conscious of going in and looking - and then coming out with nothing :)

I do envy your corned beef. I look at CB every time I go into a shop, but never see any cheap.... last time I found it super cheap I did buy it ... it was a huge pack for about 40p! That was probably close to 2 years ago. I made corned beef hash with it, 4-5 meals worth.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure