Potterton Suprima 50 Lock Out problem

Options

Comments

• PZH
    PZH Posts: 1,599 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ok - my faith in humanity has been restored.

The Gas engineer phoned at just gone 9am ( as stated by Potterton call centre ) and advised he would get to me between 12 and 3pm.

He turned up at 1:30pm ( again as stated ). I described to him what was happening - i.e. lock out at various times of day with red LED flashing and the pump running. He quickly checked the hot water tank layout ( apparently some system layouts can cause problems ? ) was happy with that. Took off the whole side of the boiler ( I assume the PCB was in it ) and fitted a new one there and then. He did say there was no way to test the PCB and that what I had described probably meant it was indeed the PCB at fault.

He did a few more basic things - checked the pressure (?) and adjusted a few screws. He then left me a new booklet explaining the layout of the new part, got me to sign for his work, thanked me and left ( no credit card needed )

So - well done Potterton and everyone on this forum for your help and advice.

“That old law about 'an eye for an eye' leaves everybody blind. The time is always right to do the right thing.”
  • barrymoney
    barrymoney Posts: 290 Forumite
    Options
    Just an update.

I thought I'd try to get Potterton to compensate something, so I sent all my info/receipts to them, explaining the whole sorry tale. They replied that they will NOT compensate at all for refurbished PCBs. Maybe it is to be expected (?) ... but I tried at least.

Their letter to me was rather patronising though -- and more annoying than not getting a few quid from them -- not even a hint of apology:
    "... We feel its important to tell you that the issue of boiler PCB failure isn't always as clear cut as it might at first seem. Our experiences show that in some cases other factors such as lack of service and maintenance have caused the PCB to be replaced unnecessarily." " .. we hope you continue to enjoy your Suprima boiler for many more years to come." :mad:

Pretty silly really. I thought after the Watchdog investigation that Potterton were finally now admitting there was a clear PCB problem, not still making these excuses. The replacement PCB has fixed the cutting out completely (I explained in my letter). I got a refurb because the cost new was *ridiculous*.
  • Johnhowell
    Johnhowell Posts: 692 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My boiler now does not fire up, even when I set all the devices around the house to call for heat.

I can not find the replacement paperwork that came with the replacement PCB, installed January 2006. Can some one look up what an amber light means. It is constant, not flashing, and pressing the small square reset button does nothing.

Does this mean a sensor needs changing as previously mentioned? Hopefully, as it is not locked out (not a red light) the PCB is OK.

Regards,
    John
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are you sure that it's amber? The manual here shows from left to right, Red (lock-out) Green (burner on) and Green (mains on).
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • Johnhowell
    Options
    Espresso,

Thanks for the reply.

That manual is for the newer Condensing model which mine is not. I have not heard that these HE models have the PCB lockout problem as the board is along the bottom of the unit and not on the right hand vertical side.

The replacement PCB for the older Suprima models only has the one, large diameter, LED (just to the left of the temperature control) which changes colour as required. See message #16 from The Gasman.

Regards,
    John
  • Canucklehead
    Canucklehead Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Options
    Good morning: The manual for your Potterton should be available from the Potterton website... http://www.potterton.co.uk/literature/index.php?type=installer

HTH

Canucklehead
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • Johnhowell
    Options
    Canucklehead,

The website lists two Suprima models: the HE and the L. The HE is the condensing unit which I do not have. The L is similar to mine (I do not think mine was the L)

The manual for the L shows the old PCB layout of lights and error messages.

Someone further back in this listing mentioned a user guide they received with the replacement (third) PCB. I do not remember receiving a replacement guide and, if I had, can not find it in my files.

I was hoping that some one with the newer PCB and a guide, could look up the error message.

Regards,
    John
  • Johnhowell
    Options
    Update: plumber came around this evening and the boiler is just fine. the fault is in the timer/controller.

Sorry Potterton...

John
  • md4amv
    Options
    Johnhowell wrote: »
    Update: plumber came around this evening and the boiler is just fine. the fault is in the timer/controller.

Sorry Potterton...

John

I changed the PCB but the problem still remained :mad:

Any other suggestions :confused:

Thanks,

Mohsen
  • breadmaker6
    Options
    Does anyone know if Potterton are still offering to fix these PCB problems free?

I have lived with this problem for a year now and wish I had googled it earlier :mad:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure