We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream fund challenge part 4

Options

Comments

• alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    hi all...

phoebe... you've kept your head above water obviously and hopefully this may be your last move ? or would you go back south to be nearer your son ? do you think whichever could be a forever home then you cant stress over any losses again ;):)

ive had a conversation today with what I regard as a young couple , they candidly said they had maxed out 3 credit cards :eek:
    and their max was a lot ! they were astounded when I said id never had a credit card...ever. mainly cos I was always taught that if you aint got it, you aint got it... and ive always worked harder/more to get what I needed... or done without.:rotfl:

ive been fortunate to work for good people [ a lovely gent, a general who was equiry? to the queen] for 17 years and these people 12 years. it makes a difference.. inbetween I had my shop.
    I will never be rich but at the rate im given stuff I wont be poor either ;):D

just started to rain :j then it stopped :(
  • I_have_spoken
    I_have_spoken Posts: 5,051 Forumite
    Options
    Dropped into my nearest NT(S) garden as it's a nice evening, quite reassuring to see they also have loads of foliage but not so many flowers - all due to cold and wet.:mad:

That said, some seeds fell into my pocket.

I hadn't realised passion flowers were, like day lilies, so transient. Just as well there's plenty of buds as they 'go over' in 48 hours. Who knew?:D
  • phoebe1989seb
    phoebe1989seb Posts: 4,452 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 14 July 2015 at 7:14PM
    Options
    Alfie, I'd like to think it will be our last move......but as an only child with one child myself I do miss DS (and being close to the sea, lol, which is weird as we used to live a stone's throw from it but rarely went there. I was born in a building overlooking the sea, so maybe that's what it is :o)

DH would actually like to *do a Dave* and have a smallholding, but that's a huge step and having been through all the issues with our parents, I've always got the future and what it holds in mind unfortunately.

We've been extremely fortunate to not have to resort to borrowing money to enable us to buy our last three houses and since my PPI epiphany in 2007 we've had no credit cards or other borrowing either - I've never had a credit card personally, but DH had several - and apart from the inheritance from my late uncle (shared with DS) and of course the mid-sold PPI payouts, we've saved for all the work done on the house *projects*, which, coupled with all our hard graft, I guess we should be proud of ;)

Now that our businesses are well-established we feel the most secure financially for eight years, but DIYing leaves little time for business interests so something always has to give :o

I would never go back *home* - I wouldn't choose to live there unless we could have our old house back - as we couldn't afford that house now (probably looking at a minimum of 800-900k) without taking on another huge mortgage and being out of the ratrace renders that unlikely/unpalatable.

Our current house has amazing potential (imho ;)) and suits us perfectly, style-wise, so who knows.......
    Mortgage-free for fourteen years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Not allowing yourself to love the house is very sensible imho :o

Well, it's not the kind of house that has great character, nor is it likely that either of our kids would want it. When we're ready to make the transition to being 'oldies' we'll give it up gladly enough, I expect, but the timing of that's impossible to predict, thank goodness! :cool:

Sometimes, I envy those, like some of the farming families around here, whose occupation of a property goes back for generations. They have a real sense of belonging. However, by the same token, there's a lot of pressure on them nowadays to keep the farm afloat in a fast-changing world, nor is there certainty about passing it on, as there was in the past.

For example, my friend Pete's children don't want to follow in his footsteps. It's going to be crunch time for him in a few years, and he'll find it much harder than us to up-sticks. :(
  • phoebe1989seb
    edited 14 July 2015 at 8:08PM
    Options
    In other news it's been *another* damp, drizzly day here, putting paid to my exterior painting/mowing plans :(

Had a quick trip to the garden centre, but came away empty handed for a change as I couldn't make a decision regarding a large pot for a hydrangea......

There's a lovely range of urns at that particular garden centre - very reasonably priced too for the craftsmanship involved - but I thought I'd seen a similar one on the bay. Came home and checked it out - what is £400 in the GC, someone wants more than twice as much for on auction!

I'm on the lookout for a bench for the verandah.....I know what I want, but have yet to find one locally.....or even not locally, lol :rotfl:

The garden is enjoying the rain, even if I'm less keen - acanthus, verbena, veronica, leucanthemums, everlasting Sweetpeas, lysimachia, delphiniums et al are looking good and the rudbeckias, heleniums, echinacea and monardas are not far behind. Ligularia Desdemona is in bud too, yay :D

Dare I say it though, but I'm looking forward to Autumn so I can get the two smaller lawned areas re-turfed :p

• alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    didn't you say way back that you moved 100 pots to this house phoebe... are you a "pot" addict ;) :rotfl:
  • phoebe1989seb
    Options
    alfie_1 wrote: »
    didn't you say way back that you moved 100 pots to this house phoebe... are you a "pot" addict ;) :rotfl:

Lol:rotfl: Yes, but not in *that* sense :rotfl:

You have a good memory Alfie.....yeah, we have in excess of a hundred, but are planning a cull of the smaller ones as there are just tooooo many! Trouble is I can't resist a plant, then realise there's no obvious place for it in the ground, so another pot/planter has to be acquired :D

Some pots we've had for twenty years - nothing wrong with that as generally speaking our taste hasn't changed and we prefer the aged look - but these tended to be smaller as we had greater priorities back then than forking out (excuse the pun :rotfl:) on the larger ones, hence we have loads that are only big enough for the smallest of plantings (think 12 - 15" diameter), whereas the ones we've purchased more recently (ie in Wilts) are up to 1m in diameter and can comfortably house a small tree :p

For a real *pot addict* (no, not that kind), you want Dafty Duck, who has, if my memory serves me correctly, in excess of two thousand!!!

• I_have_spoken
    I_have_spoken Posts: 5,051 Forumite
    edited 14 July 2015 at 8:58PM
    Options
    I seem to have fallen under the influence of the Sissinghurst 'White Garden'...:)

Rosa 'Madame Alfred Carrière', umbellifer, allium, white valerian, bellflower, shasta daisy, snapdragons, the cardoon with silver leaves and some tiny flowers at the front (not sure...)

9f6c8037-dd0a-423f-920a-1e232d9b1db3_zpsyxhk4ezz.jpg
  • phoebe1989seb
    Options
    That looks beautiful IHS :D Am very envious of your immaculate lawn too ;)

• choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've never had a credit card either, but sometimes wonder if it would have been easier borrowing. But at least we won't have any mortgage.

IHS - your garden looks immaculate. Ours is a complete disgrace & it's all gone out of control.

Well - it's bedtime. Nightie Night ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure