• stonemedia
    Options
    I also have fraudulant charges to my Citibank account. The first was

RBS THE NETHERLAN GA for $0.00

then

NC SOFT USD USA $29.99

then

BLIZZARD ENT ELECU $19.99

Just trying to provide more information so we can catch these criminals.
  • omerc10696
    Options
    I had to email my bank (HSBC) cause when I call they ask for a telephone access number and I can't get through to a real person. Anyway today I received a call from their security division I figured they had received my email and called me regarding the situation.

It turns out they were calling me because there was recently another charge waiting to be authorized for something called SecondLife. I googled it and it turns out it's another popular mmorpg. So my guess is "gold farmers" are using card numbers to make characters with which to farm gold :mad:
  • computerwoman
    computerwoman Posts: 4,075 Forumite
    Options
    world of warcraft blizzard entertainment, was hijacked last month it was all over the news at the time, and the game server was shut down for awhile to deal with this, but obviously not been sorted out, you need to get in touch with istis via bbc watchdog and get them to sort it out, then it will get sorted, istis is a regulator for the internet.
    hope this helps.
    cw

Pls be nice to all MSer's
    There's no such thing as a stupid question, and even if you disagree courtesy helps.
    Tomorrow never come's as today is yesterday and tomorrow is today:confused:

MERRY CHRISTMAS FELLOW MSer's:xmastree:
  • black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,937 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm the victim of it too. Just started a thread on it here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=463732
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • SmallWorld
    Options
    Sagaris wrote: »
    Same here - 3 transactions on 23rd April for Blizzard then one a week later for NC Soft - we also had one to a software company for £815.47 and a cinema ticket at Cineworld (none of those anywhere near me!) for £6.50. The £815 one was refunded by the company - probably when the realised the addresses didn't match.
    All in all 7 unauthorised transactions on OH's debit card from our joint account - we bank with Abbey, they have cancelled his card but now I'm wondering if we should close the whole account down?
    I've reported it to Abbey last Friday when I discovered it and visited the branch on Saturday armed with the statement printouts - I'm just waiting to hear from them now. :(

There seems to be a pattern.

I've never had problems before and I take every precaution, but I've been hit
    on the 7th and 8th of May. £305 to Overclockers software (returned by them
    immediately due to thier security checks) and an odd one for £49.99 to FindMyPast (outstanding).

I'm with Abbey and it was a debit card. This is a serious problem because it doesn't seem to matter how careful you are with security, anyone at all can
    have thier card compromised now. On reading the posts I'm increasingly convinced that it's an 'Algorythmic attack' on card sequences, or some sort of data leak.

At my branch, Abbey have been courteous and helpful, but I'll have to fill in forms and prove I did not authorise the transactions, and wait several weeks for the refund. I'm still waiting for a new card after 8 days - and how can I trust that it will be secure?

I count myself lucky, the transactions were relatively trivial. So now we all have to check transactions daily to protect against similar attacks?

I wonder just how many have been hit by this?
  • Kevoh
    Kevoh Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    Sagaris wrote: »
    Anyone know of a good alternative to Abbey for banking!

Halifax, they have great customer service, they sort problems out quickly and good interest rates across the board.

Update: Got my new Amazon Mastercards issued my Halifax. I don't plan to use them as they are emergency cards. Hope they are not blizzed!
  • black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,937 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Mine was all refunded yesterday. I think I've had a narrow escape compared with some of you as they only took £58.13 in total from my bank in lots of small transactions.
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • doghouse_2
    Options
    This is apparently a huge problem. I hope they get to the root of this quickly!
    I typed in a Google search for "Blizzard Entertainment credit card fraud" and came across this thread. We just had to cancel one of our cards today for the same exact reasons. Three charges to Blizzard Entertainment on the 31st of May 2007, then our bank froze the account when the NC Soft charge came across. The charged costs are almost identical. We didn't realize this until we tried to make a purchase today. I am thankful that the bank is alert to this stuff!
  • Wyndham
    Wyndham Posts: 2,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A complete aside, but this thread does seem to have attracted lots of newbie moneysavers!
  • TocSin_2
    Options
    Bank of America Debit Card

05/31/07 PURCHASE xxxxx ON 05/30 AT BLIZZARD-ENT*ELECUPGRD 800-592-5499 CA -$19.99

Only one showing up so far, but my available balance is lower than my balance so there are still things pending. Going to call BofA immediately. Dang it, I'm flying to St. Louis tomorrow and won't have a debit card...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure