Section 75 refunds - article discussion

Options

Comments

• monhon1
    monhon1 Posts: 109 Forumite
    edited 7 August 2011 at 1:27PM
    Options
    Many thanks for your reply. You said in an earlier post (including an article by Martin (if I recall correctly ''As long as the item is between £100-30000''.) So I assumed the £100.00 was covered.

You also said: ''also you only paid £85 on your card'', I thought any minimum amount would do and your covered for the whole lot?

Further many years ago I bought an item from Amazon Market place actually directly from the seller (very stupid I know) and paid via PayPal and Egg Money refunded all my money back after filling some forms. So Section 75 doesn't apply at all then just to repeat? I am very unlikely now then to use eBay/ PayPal for large purchases since even if you win a case you need to pay return postage fees (PayPal buyer protection) which puts the buyer out of pocket.

What about this:
    ''
    PayPal and chargeback

Watch out if you use your credit or debit card to load money into your PayPal, or other online payment account as it is the loading of the money that is considered to be the card transaction.
    If anything goes wrong with the loading of your account, you could use the chargeback rules. However, if the money that you load into your account is then subsequently used to buy goods and services, that transaction is not classed as a card transaction and is unlikely to be covered by chargeback.
    If you want to ensure that chargeback will apply to a PayPal transaction, it's best to empty your PayPal account regularly so there is no credit balance. That way, when you make a purchase using PayPal the same amount will be debited from your bank account or credit card at the same moment you pay, making it easier for your bank or credit card provider to match the purchase with the debit.''

from: http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/sale-of-goods/your-rights-when-paying-by-credit-card/chargeback-on-credit-and-debit-cards/

derrick wrote: »
    The criteria is over £100 and less than £30000, so you fail on the first count, also you only paid £85 on your card so fail again, and paying via Paypal fails again see MSE Section 75 refunds, :-

"When you buy through third parties. Travel agents, paypal etc.
    You're usually unlikely to be covered when payments are made to a company that isn't the one providing you with the good or service because the credit card company must have a direct relationship for them to be equally liable.
    The first main area is paying via an online processer such as PayPal, WorldPay or Google Checkout. Though these can have their own refund systems, they aren't as strong as the legal protection of Section 75."

• derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 7 August 2011 at 3:52PM
    Options
    Well the actual act does state "over £100. and less than £30000, so something costing £100. would not be covered and something costing £30000 would not be covered, it is "between" these figures, so the maximum, strictly, would be £29999.99. Depends how much goodwill your card issuer feels like giving, you could just ask them

"I thought any minimum amount would do and your covered for the whole lot?" You are if the cost falls between the 2 figures,(it is mentioned in the article re my earlier link), i.e. buy something costing £500, (or any figure between the 2 mentioned), pay £1. on your CC and the rest however you like, then the whole amount is covered under S75.

Your last paragraph relates to chargeback, (you only asked about S75), which may cover you for refunds outside S75 limits,again depending on your card issuer.

Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• narika
    narika Posts: 208 Forumite
    Options
    monhon1 wrote: »
    Probably been answered but what if you spent exactly £100 pounds would I be covered (Section 75)?
    Getting conflicting information: over £100 to less than £30,000, Section 75, charge back for under £100.00.

What if I paid the £100 via 15%off coupon and £85.00 credit card although item cost £100.00 as shown on receipt?

I paid by PayPal for an eBay purchase.

Thanks

if you paid for a mediator (such as PAYPAL) section 75 does not apply to you.
  • monhon1
    monhon1 Posts: 109 Forumite
    Options
    So many years ago then it must have been a charge back!
  • southantrim3
    Options
    Can you claim a section 75 refund for a flight that you can't make due to unforeseen ill-health?
    Thanks
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Can you claim a section 75 refund for a flight that you can't make due to unforeseen ill-health?
    Thanks

No, that is what insurance is for.

Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• Jago7t
    Jago7t Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    Guys sorry if this has been answered - tried searching thread.

If a company has gone insolvent, where does the card company recover the money from? Or does it put aside an amount to satisfy these kinds of claims (i.e. factored into the interest rate)?

I'm wondering whether there would therefore be a reason for a solvent supplier to insist people pay via bank transfer if the card company recovers from them/takes court action.
  • Nick73_2
    Nick73_2 Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 27 August 2011 at 2:09PM
    Options
    How is the purchase of a new bathroom defined? One item or several?

I'll be buying everything required for a bathroom, en-suite and separate (downstairs) toilet. If I buy everything needed on one single credit card transaction (basins, taps, showers, toilets etc.), will I be covered for the cost of the entire purchase under section 75 or will each item need to be purchased as separate transactions? Or, will each area/room need to be purchased separately (ie. bathroom, en-suite and downstairs toilet purchased as three separate transactions)?

I have read the article about Section 75 on this web-site where it mentions kitchens as being an example so the above may seem like a silly question, but I'd like to make sure in case there is a difference.

Thanks in advance!

(Apologies if this has been anwered elsewhere. I've searched and searched but cannot find an answer to this).
  • Optimist
    Optimist Posts: 4,556 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Jago7t wrote: »
    Guys sorry if this has been answered - tried searching thread.

If a company has gone insolvent, where does the card company recover the money from? Or does it put aside an amount to satisfy these kinds of claims (i.e. factored into the interest rate)?

I'm wondering whether there would therefore be a reason for a solvent supplier to insist people pay via bank transfer if the card company recovers from them/takes court action.

The card company would have to bear the cost. They have equal liability with the seller
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

Bertrand Russell. British author, mathematician, & philosopher (1872 - 1970)
  • Optimist
    Optimist Posts: 4,556 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Nick73 wrote: »
    How is the purchase of a new bathroom defined? One item or several?

I'll be buying everything required for a bathroom, en-suite and separate (downstairs) toilet. If I buy everything needed on one single credit card transaction (basins, taps, showers, toilets etc.), will I be covered for the cost of the entire purchase under section 75 or will each item need to be purchased as separate transactions? Thanks in advance!

(Apologies if this has been anwered elsewhere. I've searched and searched but cannot find an answer to this).

This is a bit of a grey area but it is considered that it is the total contract price you pay. Therefore a bathroom would be covered a tap under £100 would not
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

Bertrand Russell. British author, mathematician, & philosopher (1872 - 1970)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure