Hole in double glazed patio door for cat flap.

Options

Comments

• Snuggles
    Snuggles Posts: 1,001 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I couldn't find anyone local when I wanted this doing, so I used this company:

http://www.montroseglass.co.uk/services/cat-flaps/

It was £250 for a full size French door glass unit replacement. It was all very efficient and straightforward.

The only issue is that the hole was cut quite high above the bottom edge of the glass, and as the glass is already about 20cm higher than the floor due to the door frame and the UPVC border around the door, the cat flap is a bit too high. We have therefore had to put a box under the flap so the cats can reach it! Not ideal, but it works. The glazier said that the hole couldn't be made any closer to the bottom edge of the glass to maintain the integrity of the unit. Something to bear in mind and check if getting this done.
  • greenface
    greenface Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    there is a minimum distance from the edge of the glass for a hole . Toughened is slightly more double or single glazed the same . I don't go less than 100mm (4inches) that's still about 3 inches above your glazing bead so about 7 inches from your cill. (normaly) inside and more outside. Anything that low has to be toughened but I have fitted fat claps in kitchen / utility windows slightly closer to the edge of the frame . Have your flap first incase it wont fit if its too low
    :cool: hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world :cool:
  • Idiophreak
    Idiophreak Posts: 12,024 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    greenface wrote: »
    there is a minimum distance from the edge of the glass for a hole . Toughened is slightly more double or single glazed the same . I don't go less than 100mm (4inches) that's still about 3 inches above your glazing bead so about 7 inches from your cill. (normaly) inside and more outside. Anything that low has to be toughened but I have fitted fat claps in kitchen / utility windows slightly closer to the edge of the frame . Have your flap first incase it wont fit if its too low

Hi Greenface,

You seem to know what you're talking about, so a quick question.

We were interested in getting a cat flap fitted to a glass pannel (200cm x 39cm)...it occurred to us, however, that our little kitten is likely to grow into quite a large cat (due to the breed) - so we've been advised to get a "pet door" instead of a regular flap.

This is around 21cm in width, which would leave around 9cm of glass on either side - it sounds from your post above that this is likely to be a no-go?
  • greenface
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    That should be ok and safe . I expect it to be toughened and a door or side panel down to the floor . my 4 inch isn't set in stone . I like to clear obstacles like a glazing bead.or silicone gun maybe . also keeping a distance as it makes a weaker point being a circle so for the glass cutter to stay in as much as poss . Laminated is harder to cut a hole but not impossible .
  • NeoVR2k6
    NeoVR2k6 Posts: 102 Forumite
    Options
    Im getting a bit confused here if anyone can advise.

Currently looking at getting a new DG unit (well two actually) with a hole for catflap.
    I have come across an issue where glazer says the panel size (380mmx1740mm) is too narrow for a 212mm hole.
    The research ive done says that the glass adaptor kits need 212mm diameter min, even though the actual catflap interior dimensions are 160mm.

Is there any way round this or am i resigned to putting a hole in the wall?
    PS, the panel measurements were taken up to the edge of visible glass so there may be another cm or two if measured properly.

Thanks in advance.
  • Idiophreak
    Idiophreak Posts: 12,024 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    NeoVR2k6 wrote: »
    Im getting a bit confused here if anyone can advise.

Currently looking at getting a new DG unit (well two actually) with a hole for catflap.
    I have come across an issue where glazer says the panel size (380mmx1740mm) is too narrow for a 212mm hole.
    The research ive done says that the glass adaptor kits need 212mm diameter min, even though the actual catflap interior dimensions are 160mm.

Is there any way round this or am i resigned to putting a hole in the wall?
    PS, the panel measurements were taken up to the edge of visible glass so there may be another cm or two if measured properly.

Thanks in advance.

I had the same thing (as above), people generally said the panel was too narrow, so I ended up having it in a slightly wider panel instead (43cm).

If I were you I'd get a couple of different firms out to take a look - one of them might be up for it.

Trouble is, they need to cut a circle for the adapter kit - and as you say, this is rather larger than the original measurements of the flap...
  • NeoVR2k6
    NeoVR2k6 Posts: 102 Forumite
    Options
    Just taken the beading off and had a proper measure (suprisingly easy!!) - the panel is actually 400x1770 - with just under another 10mm ish leeway between the existing panel and frame, with two of those blue spacers on each side.. so i may be able to twist someones arm to give it a go with a 210/212mm hole.

I have contacted two companies that have been mentioned on here (Im in the NW). with wildly varied costs.. although the dearer one might have been including measuring+fitting.
  • greenface
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    The hole should be doable leaving around 100 mm sides and bottom . will the unit fit into the space ? ( the square cat flap isn't more than the 380mm available .) the unit needs cutting . then the circle cutting out . then the glass gets toughened . the less gap to the edge of the glass the more chance of it blowing . I know your NW . if your close to merseyside can point you to 2 firms that will do it . the blue spacers are fairly important when it come to balancing the door . you've done the hardest part and took the beads off and got a proper measure except thickness I'm sure you could do it yourself sounds like uPVC .
  • heddus
    Options
    Hi I know this is an very old thread but if you're still checking it
    any chance of letting me know how fitting went and could you
    recommend him please?
  • greenface
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 2 February 2015 at 11:50PM
    Options
    Its only 3 weeks . i've had milk in the fridge since before then . .

What are you looking for ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family