HP notebook, problem with realtek adapter

Options

Comments

• neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Lorian wrote: »
    Problem is, you might buy a new laptop and continue to have problems, unless you know the root cause.
    ^^Absolutely this.
  • wifeforlife
    wifeforlife Posts: 2,734 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 October 2016 at 4:58PM
    Options
    neilmcl wrote: »
    OP are you sure it's the Realtek adapter you're having problems with? I have an HP Probook and the Realtek driver relates to the ethernet controller. The Wifi adapter is Ralink.

Truth is, no, no idea - I've tried lots of things and used lots of advice and with being a techno phobe I've resorted to sitting beside the modem on the floor to get my work done as my friend in work told me to just wait to see what he can do

When I go to device manager and look at the network adapters, the wee yellow triangle is at the realtek adapter bit
  • neilmcl
    Options
    Truth is, no, no idea - I've tried lots of things and used lots of advice and with being a techno phobe I've resorted to sitting beside the modem on the floor to get my work done as my friend in work told me to just wait to see what he can do

When I go to device manager and look at the network adapters, the wee yellow triangle is at the realtek adapter bit
    What's the full title of the adapter? If it says 'Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller' then it's not your wifi adapter.
  • wifeforlife
    Options
    neilmcl wrote: »
    What's the full title of the adapter? If it says 'Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller' then it's not your wifi adapter.

It's called Realtek RTL8723BD 802.11 bgn Wi-Fi Adapter

I've uninstalled it, reinstalled it, scanned for hardware, asked for updates - whatever this is, it's killing the computer and has done since I had it a couple of months. I've had the computer since Jan 15 and have factory reset it 4-5 times. I'd understand if I was flat out on it, but I use it for general email use, online browsing and now for university work - so all Microsoft office applications
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    It's not you or your use - it's a well-known issue with W8.x and W10 drivers for older hardware...HPs just happen to be one of the "major" brands to suffer from this, hence why they get thrown up in internet searches for the problem.

E.g. I had a way-older-than-yours HP originally running Vista, put W7 on it no probs, put W10 on it and, like yours. the wifi was fine for a fair while, then after a windows update it played up like yours, until the wifi wouldn't function at all under W10. There were no apparent wifi driver updates included, but something in the W10 update had adversely affected the wifi functionality so the lappy was pretty useless. Put W7 and Mint Linux on it, no wifi issues since under either OS.

Hardware Manufacturers don't tend to update drivers that often, so if something in an update for another part of the system borks the operation of, in this case the wifi card, it tends not to be fixed...

Frustrating? Hell Yes :(
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • wifeforlife
    Options
    GunJack wrote: »
    It's not you or your use - it's a well-known issue with W8.x and W10 drivers for older hardware...HPs just happen to be one of the "major" brands to suffer from this, hence why they get thrown up in internet searches for the problem.

E.g. I had a way-older-than-yours HP originally running Vista, put W7 on it no probs, put W10 on it and, like yours. the wifi was fine for a fair while, then after a windows update it played up like yours, until the wifi wouldn't function at all under W10. There were no apparent wifi driver updates included, but something in the W10 update had adversely affected the wifi functionality so the lappy was pretty useless. Put W7 and Mint Linux on it, no wifi issues since under either OS.

Hardware Manufacturers don't tend to update drivers that often, so if something in an update for another part of the system borks the operation of, in this case the wifi card, it tends not to be fixed...

Thank goodness someone else feels the pain, I seriously thought it was just me!! Also as I've really no idea I'm so reliant on smarter people than me to help. I was so embarrassed to come back here and ask for help encase I'd done something wrong.

Hopefully my friend in work tomorrow will understand what all you very smart people are talking about and help me fix it
  • Fightsback
    Fightsback Posts: 2,504 Forumite
    Options
    GunJack wrote: »

Seconded

Had an issue with a Toshiba for a friend, it wouldn't connect to the router after a W10 update but was fine on W7, can't rememberer the wifi chipset off hand, tracked do to Auto/20mhz setting. Wouldn't work on auto but connected and worked on 20mhz. They probably just put a wrapper round the old driver and fingers crossed it works.
    Science isn't exact, it's only confidence within limits.
  • neilmcl
    Options
    I wonder if it'w worth changing the Wifi card in the laptop or getting an external adapter.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,283 Forumite
    Options
    I would suggest an external adapter. HP tend to run white lists embedded in the BIOS for wifi cards in their laptop.
  • Fightsback
    Fightsback Posts: 2,504 Forumite
    edited 17 October 2016 at 11:36AM
    Options
    Sure the original Wifi card is a Realtek RTL8723BD and not a Realtek RTL8723BE ?

The service manual suggests the latter.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04427554

The latest drivers I can find from HP for that are:

Info page:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp77001-77500/sp77177.html

download link:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp77001-77500/sp77177.exe
    unforeseen wrote: »
    I would suggest an external adapter. HP tend to run white lists embedded in the BIOS for wifi cards in their laptop.

Indeed, the whitelisted models can be found on page 4 the service manual as shown above. There are a few tricks to get around this such as a BIOS mod or modified vendor string in the card but for most the easiest solution is a USB stick
    Science isn't exact, it's only confidence within limits.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure