PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    Options
    All this talk of towels has reminded me of an old acquaintance of this thread.....hows Gary?:rotfl: he's not been mentioned for ages.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,146 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    Incidentally, if you have old sheets and a passing decorator acquaintance, they might be glad to take them off your hands.

Or me :D I like to have plenty as my builders have a tendency to be somewhat sparing in their use of dustsheets...
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    All this talk of towels has reminded me of an old acquaintance of this thread.....hows Gary?:rotfl: he's not been mentioned for ages.
    :p Gary the Towel (mila, I have a blue and white towel with the name GARY woven into it. It came from Mum. She doesn't know where she got it from. We do not, and never have had, a Gary in the family, by blood or by marriage) is well and had an excursion in the bathroom earlier this month.

I'm using a bath towel this week which hasn't had an outing for a while but, on reflection, think that I am going to focus the wear-and-tear on the two thinnest towels, the champagne coloured one which went through the wash yesterday, and the thinner pale blue one. Using them up will be my project, with the others only having occasional outings to keep them from getting stale.

:D I suspect me and Gary will be an item for some time to come.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • mavvymoo
    mavvymoo Posts: 2,152 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud! Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 29 July 2016 at 7:51AM
    Options
    GQ in answer to your leaking washer question.How about never :rotfl:I have never needed towels to mop up. and if I did if your washer was leaking why would you use a load of towels that you couldnt wash (as the washer was leaking) as you would have them laying about stinking until the washer was fixed or replaced :rotfl:It just doesnt make any sense to me at all.
    After KM we have 4 towels two bath and two hand and thats it for us.
    two dog towels (dolphin) and old towels that the cats can sleep on :o

Yes how is Gary as Mrs MP said I hope you have not released him into a charity shop :eek: Just read your post above thank goodness he is safe

Thinking about it I have been known to put a dolphin towel in front of the freezer if I ever defrost it

Mav x

Debt free and Mortgage free thank you to all for your encouragement and advice
    :j
    Crazy Clothes challenge £300/£48 and 5 months /0 without spending :T

• mavvymoo
    mavvymoo Posts: 2,152 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud! Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I have been spamming FB with the fete and clothes sale for a few weeks now :rotfl:So glad I am not 'friends' with any of you lot on there as you would be sick of me ages ago :D

My post has now reached 4,267 people :rotfl: I so hope they dont all turn up :D

Mav x

Debt free and Mortgage free thank you to all for your encouragement and advice
    :j
    Crazy Clothes challenge £300/£48 and 5 months /0 without spending :T

• Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,987 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    GQ do your parents ever visit your home? If they do, do they inspect your linen cupboards?

If not, can you invent a need for some of their excess linens as you've 'worn some of yours out', so that you can cart out the worst of their stuff and dispose of it? Or invent a messy job for yourself or a friend that requires elderly linens to cover things up. I know it's not quite the truth, but if it gets old tat shifted and space made in their home, surely that's of benefit to them in the longer term.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    I have had washing-machine leakage - there usually isn't time to fetch anything special, you grab the nearest thing!

Glad to hear Gary is still in fine fettle! I am still using some hand towels which were wedding presents 30 years ago. (As hand towels they've probably had a bit less wear than bath towels but they're still going strong). For anyone who likes their towels to match each other, or match the bathroom, I endorse Floss's suggestion of dyeing them - towels come up really well with a Dylon machine dye.

On that topic, my mother-in-law used to regularly dye her undies - white-nylon-that's-gone-grey will look as good as new with a peach or coffee colour. It's a great way to refresh stuff that isn't worn out, just tired.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • GreyQueen
    Options
    :) They visit once or twice a year; I mostly visit them, we're 45 mins apart door-to-door if using a car and no traffic jams.

Mum orignally shelved out the narrow hall cupboard which I use as the linen cupboard and she does usually have a self-congratultory peep in there to admire its neatness and organisation.

Their stuff (apart from a few tired pillowcases) is in good enough nick so I can't see them parting with it - Mum has serious anxiety issues caused by being an acutely-neglected child taken into care in London's East End, so Stuff and its disposal can be a very delicate issue, to put it mildly.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • WeeMidgie
    WeeMidgie Posts: 469 Forumite
    Options
    My job share colleague is due back from holiday next week, so as it was badly needed, and to welcome her back, the office had the Kondo treatment yesterday... we had a problem with piles, now sorted. Three loads of out of date info went into recycling bins outside, shelves were re-arranged to prevent new piles getting started, and I even got into the far reaches of the corner desk, behind the computer, with a damp duster... this involved kneeling on the desk top as it is a long reach.

So, an energetic and satisfying day. Remember the Tango advert of old? My new take on it: 'You know when you've been Kondo'd'!!
  • GreyQueen
    Options
    WeeMidgie wrote: »
    So, an energetic and satisfying day. Remember the Tango advert of old? My new take on it: 'You know when you've been Kondo'd'!!
    :j I love this saying!

Co-incidentally, I was asked to spend a few minutes kondo-ing the desks of absent colleagues a couple of days back as we were about to have a VIP visit us and Da Management thought they looked very bad.

Took about 10 mins to put their loose stuff into their desk drawers and wipe down the surfaces and looked so much better afterwards.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills