PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Feed a family of four for £20 a week challenge

Options

Comments

• hunters
    hunters Posts: 827 Forumite
    Options
    oh dearie me I just posted on the other thread can someone confirm this is just a shopping list if you can get your food shopping to £20 for family of 4?
    :j
  • missmucksmum
    Options
    I think realistically it is impossible to get 5 portions of fruit and veg into your child 5 days a week as much as we might try. I have heard dieticians say that people focus too much on trying to get 5 portions into their child instead of ensuring they have a balanced diet with plenty of dairy, protein, carbs also kids need fat! I could easily cook for my family of four for a week on £20 they would probably prefer not too as the meals may not be to everyones taste and may get repetative but they would eat well, survive and not get scurvy ;)
    January Grocery Challenge £203.50/£200 :)
    13NSD
    February Grocery Challenge £59.20/£200
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Options
    My family eat at least 8 portions of fruit and veg a day, mainly because we have fruit with breakfast, a veg or some beans or salad of some sort at lunch and at least three portions of veg at dinner, not to mention the carrot sticks, celery and snack fruit as well, luckily we grow a lot of our own fruit, veg and herbs , which helps to keep the costs down. This is a great time of year to go foraging which will supplement whatever you have
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • HariboJunkie
    HariboJunkie Posts: 7,740 Forumite
    Options
    I think realistically it is impossible to get 5 portions of fruit and veg into your child 5 days a week as much as we might try. I have heard dieticians say that people focus too much on trying to get 5 portions into their child instead of ensuring they have a balanced diet with plenty of dairy, protein, carbs also kids need fat! I could easily cook for my family of four for a week on £20 they would probably prefer not too as the meals may not be to everyones taste and may get repetative but they would eat well, survive and not get scurvy ;)

Really? I have trouble getting mine to eat less than 10 portions.:o
    Banana at breakfast, apple for snack, salad wrap for lunch with tub of strawberries and another banana, apple/peach/plum after school and at least three veg at dinner plus fesh orange juice. That's at least 10 a day. I'm sure not eating 5 a day won't give you scurvy any time soon but I think we should encourage children to eat as much fruit and veg as we can. I agree that children do need fat but it should be healthy fats wherever possible. Full fat milk until they are at least five so no watering down to make it stretch...;)
    If times were really tough for us we'd eat beans on toast, baked spuds and lots of cheap fruit. As a short term measure it's fine. :)
  • msgreen_2
    Options
    I would love to hear everyones ideas, I am really struggling with finding the money for anything at the moment and with myself and four children to feed (13,9,7 and 3) all the recipes are a great help. I have managed to fo the food shop for £25.00 this week, but not sure it will be enough for us all. I have taken so may recipes from the £7.00 thread it was a great help :j and would love to hear more. Thanks girls and guys :)
  • sonastin
    sonastin Posts: 3,210 Forumite
    Options
    Better to have 1 or 2 a day every day than aim for 5 a day, run out of money and have nothing at all for a few days. In a perfect world, everyone would get everything they need but when compromises have to come in, they need to come from all directions to make it sustainable.

I count my blessings every day that we don't need to live like this but I know that luck plays a huge part in that. I am trying to learn from threads like these and adapt our lifestyle so that a) we can put some away for rainy days and b) if the rainy days come, it won't be such a shock to the system to have to drop all the [STRIKE]easy[/STRIKE]expensive options at once.

If I can share anything I've learnt, I will - just at the moment I'm so over-awed by everyone else's knowledge and advice that I can't see anything other than how wasteful we are :D
  • sjprmc01
    sjprmc01 Posts: 917 Forumite
    Options
    I struggle to get 5 a day into my kids and it's nothing to do with money!

However I dont focus on it

Tbh, I don't eat 5 a day myself either!

They have a min of 2 and I have been buying fruit juice lately, too! But I can't FORCE them to do it!

Oh they do get 'fruit' time at school too, but again, if it's not what they like on offer they simply go without!
    No more unnecessary toiletries Feb 2014 INS: 24 UU: 13. Mar 2014. INS: lost count, naughty step for me! UU: 8
  • missmucksmum
    Options
    Really? I have trouble getting mine to eat less than 10 portions.:o
    Banana at breakfast, apple for snack, salad wrap for lunch with tub of strawberries and another banana, apple/peach/plum after school and at least three veg at dinner plus fesh orange juice. That's at least 10 a day. I'm sure not eating 5 a day won't give you scurvy any time soon but I think we should encourage children to eat as much fruit and veg as we can. I agree that children do need fat but it should be healthy fats wherever possible. Full fat milk until they are at least five so no watering down to make it stretch...;)
    If times were really tough for us we'd eat beans on toast, baked spuds and lots of cheap fruit. As a short term measure it's fine. :)
    Yes really:) and wow thats really good well done you they are probably having more around 20 to 30 portions (depending on age of child) though a day as a childs portion should fit in their palm (just looked this up on the NHS website so looking at their guidelines for portion size my children do get their 5 a day :) ) and who waters milk down? we go through 16 pints a week! I encourage a love for all food. A little off subject but the vegan children at school are hugely overweight mine are both healthy weight for their age/size so I must be doing something right :)
    January Grocery Challenge £203.50/£200 :)
    13NSD
    February Grocery Challenge £59.20/£200
  • vickiem30
    vickiem30 Posts: 135 Forumite
    Options
    I've given it a go, but as I just shop for me and my dog; I'm not sure about portion sizes for 4 people! I'm sure you can all find improvements on what I've come up with and this is a rather basic and dull diet. It's costed from Tescos taken today. The website says TVP isn't avaible, but that's a lie, I bought some yesterday!

Breakfasts
    Cornflakes and Milk
    Toast + spread and Cheese

Dinner options:
    Mushy pea soup made with tinned peas, stock cube and some frozen veg. bread and spread
    Mixed bean stew with, 2 tins beans, 2 tins kidney beans, one tin toms, stock, bit of TVP, frozen veg, curry powder to taste,
    beans on toast
    pitta bread with chilli made from bean stew, but less stewy and more firm (if that makes sense!)
    pitta bread and tuna (no veg in this, so not a preferred option)
    Baked potato and chilli

Tea options:
    Dhal and rice made with split peas, curry powder and some frozen veg, rice
    chilli and rice, some TVP, 2 tins beans, 2 tins kidney beans, one tin toms stock, , frozen veg, curry powder to taste
    Vegie shephard's pie, tvp, gravy granules, some frozen veg, mash potatoes
    Tuna spaghetti tuna, pasta sauce, herbs, spaghetti
    Spaghetti bolognaise, TVP, pasta sauce, herbs, stock cube, spaghetti and garlic bread

Ideally, I'd like more veg and I think there may be some basics left over, so next week's shopping list could be less frugal. Another option is to add sardines instead of tuna. This would provide omega three oils.
  • HariboJunkie
    HariboJunkie Posts: 7,740 Forumite
    Options
    Yes really:) and wow thats really good well done you they are probably having more around 20 to 30 portions (depending on age of child) though a day as a childs portion should fit in their palm (just looked this up on the NHS website so looking at their guidelines for portion size my children do get their 5 a day :) ) and who waters milk down? we go through 16 pints a week! I encourage a love for all food. A little off subject but the vegan children at school are hugely overweight mine are both healthy weight for their age/size so I must be doing something right :)

I wasn't suggesting that you weren't. :) I was just surprised because it's a common gripe amongst my friends and family that we spend a fortune on fruit for our children. I guess some children like it alot and some like it less.
    As far as the watering down milk goes, there are loads of advocates of it on OS. I confess to doing it occasionally if I am running out of milk for OH's coffee :cool: but I don't do it with the childrens' drinking milk.

Off to look at the £7 thread for some ideas. :money:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport