Via Buy is it legitimate or Scam?

Options
Hi,

I am new to the forum. I saw an interesting ad the other day on FB about this Via Buy credit card (top-up). I tried to check if it is related in any way to Mastercard but I could find any info about trust.
Seems interesting but I don't know if it is a scam or not.
Anyone tried it or heard anything on that?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Looks to be an American product. And for people who can't get any other kind of card, given the annual fee.
  • CarmenSan
    Options
    I am thinking it might be useful to buy online, rent a car or travelling. No big risk of frauds if stolen. Yes there's an annual fee as for many CC.
    However the website doesn't convince me much. seems very "basic"
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Any reason you can't get a normal credit card? You'd get more protection, it's not your money that gets taken if the card is stolen, no annual fee (although that may be more unusual if you're in Dublin), perhaps other benefits such as cashback.

I'd only go for something like this if you have no other options.
  • CarmenSan
    Options
    Hi, no reason. I had a Barclay card without any fees, but they decided to break the contract and won't renew it when it expires. Maybe I wasn't using it that much and wasn't profitable for them. Well it is complicated but I need a cc tied to an account where no monthly salary comes in (since my salary goes to another account with different currency). Working in one place and spending money in different country.
  • Millie_Millsters
    Options
    According to their T&Cs...

"The law of Germany applies to these Terms and Conditions and the courts of Germany will deal with any legal proceedings that may arise between You and Us"

http://www.viabuy.com/service/terms-conditions.html
    Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorn is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that she is pink; we logically know that she is invisible because we can't see her."
  • gfd12
    gfd12 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Very careful with viabuy. They are very interesting if you deal with very very small amounts. Once you start making some money (above 1000EUR), they start blocking your transfers and your money, and ask for a lot of things that are not easy to provide. Until then, your money is gone!!
  • alexbranco
    Options
    April 28, 2014 I saw an add on Facebook about a prepaid card which one could use as an alternative way for payments. I used before iKobo andMoneybookers cards and it went very well. The problem is that when I signed up for an internet account at the VIABUY website to start to know their services before deciding to utilize it. It is the normal procedure with PayPal, Moneybookers, Paysafecard, Western Union and others.

What was my surprise when VIABUY immediately issued a MasterCard and sending it to me prior to any payment along with a piece of paper with their fees. Immediately after getting the card and checking their fees I requested the closure of the account according to the law and their own terms and conditions. Nevertheless, they declined to close the account unless I load the card with €99,70. This is the sum of money they would take as a fee, plus commissions and taxes.

Actually I pay about €47,00 per year to my local bank to use their entire services. How come I would agree with a card issuing fee of €99,70? Therefore, the amount charged by VIABY is outrageous I am realizing that it must be a money scheme to entrap people and make them paying enormous fees even if they never use their services.

I have called for the cancelation immediately, within 14 days of receiving the card, but they not only didn’t close the account, but started sending me emails asking for money. It is a really easy and dishonest way of making money!

by Luis A R Branco
  • Kamellya
    Kamellya Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 16 March 2015 at 3:15PM
    Options
    I wrote yesterday in they page facebook about my problem regarding card Viabuy, because I have not received any concrete answer by email and they method of responding to customer problems is to delete messages ! So my problem is that have blocked my payments I asked there to send money back to the sender, and I don't received any answer from they. I wrote here for everyone knows what customer service have there, a telephone number that responds to a secretary who can not help you with anything, just she say : i can't help you, please send email and waiting they answer. And they pretend that are a financial services institution? I invite everyone who have problem with they to call their phone +44 203 002 9170 , and you will see that I have right !
    so they blocked my name, I can not comment on their facebook page . This is they answer for customer .
  • napasorsa
    Options
    everything went fine until, I made bigger transfer and they frozen my account!!! I was abroad and they ask me proof of residency!!!! Jeesus !!!! SAKE! that was half of my traveling money there frozen in the account now....no replay to my email or calls,,,nothing.! TOTAL SCAM!
  • Jimmy67
    Options
    I also recently received a viabuy CC - no problems yet… They do clearly state that your card is delivered with a IDV1 level (whatever that means). You should have received this information by email:

Loading limits

You can load your card on the basis of identification levels (IDV levels) with the following amounts per year:

IDV1 up to EUR 1,000 (of which EUR 1,000 with cash or vouchers)
    IDV2 up to EUR 15,000 (of which EUR 12,000 with cash or vouchers; EUR 1,000 per month with vouchers)
    IDV3 without loading limits (of which EUR 12,000 per year with cash or vouchers; EUR 1,000 per year with vouchers)
    You can load your card up to 3 times a day and/or up to 60 times a month.

Only when loading the card with Giropay, iDEAL and SOFORT Banking the following loading limits apply:

150 EUR in the first 7 days from the first loading of the card in the Germany
    150 EUR in the first 4 weeks from the first loading of the card from Austria, France, Netherlands and Belgium.
    Increasing identification levels (IDV levels)

You will receive your VIABUY MasterCard® with identification level IDV1 or IDV2. You can check the current IDV level of your card after login under "Settings". There you can increase the IDV level of your card at all times by providing further documents. Please click on the yellow link "Increase identification level now" and follow the instructions on screen.

Paying and withdrawing cash at ATMs

You can pay with your VIABUY MasterCard® as often as you like at all MasterCard locations and on the internet, so long as there are sufficient funds available in your card account. At ATMs you can withdraw up to a maximum of three times a day and in total EUR 2,400 per day with your VIABUY card. The exact limit per cash withdrawal is determined by the operator of the ATM and is often lower.

Loading the VIABUY card

To load your VIABUY MasterCard®, choose "Load card" in the menu after logging in. Be aware that you must first select the correct country from which you want to load, then choose one of the locally available payment methods and follow the next steps displayed on screen. Instant loading is possible with some payment methods, for example Ukash vouchers, iDEAL or SOFORT Banking. To deposit without the use of a bank account we recommend Ukash or cash deposit at a bank counter. Take into account, that banks may charge fees and set limits to the amount of deposits.

Receive money on your VIABUY card account / bank details

You can receive money on your VIABUY card account per bank transfer from any bank worldwide. In order to see the exact bank details for the respective transfer method, click on "Load card" in the menu after login and choose the appropriate bank transfer method -- national, SEPA, international transfer. Enter the amount to be loaded onto the card and accept the Terms & Conditions. Subsequently, we will show the exact card account details, which you must indicate in the payment reference, so that we are able to assign the incoming payment automatically to your card account to avoid high processing costs.

Unconfirmed third-party accounts

When you transfer money from your own bank account onto your card account, the amount will be credited immediately after it has been received by our bank. However, if you receive money onto the card from third-party accounts that are not in your name (e.g. your employer or your customers), the money can be held for security reasons for a period of 14 days from receipt before being credited to your card account. During this period you will be able to see the arrival of the funds on your card account.

This is merely a one-time delay for all transfers from this "unknown" bank account. With any further incoming transfer coming from the same bank account the money will be directly credited.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure