Monarch Airlines stops trading - latest info and your rights

Options

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,962 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    N4t4lie wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it is a worldwide policy applied by Visa and definitely by Visa Europe, plenty of info online about it. It may be worth getting a translation of the standard template letter done and sending it to the bank with supporting paperwork to avoid any confusion.

This was outside Europe and he definitely does not have a chargeback option, but agree that anyone should try their visa issuer for their options.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • leylandsunaddict
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »
    It may well be correct. Although Visa is fairly international the cards issued do have different T&Cs. I know of someone due to fly into the UK with Monarch who was told there was no chargeback available on his overseas issued Visa and the CAA won't fly him into the UK on a single flight as he is based overseas so doesn't qualify for repatriation.

Chargeback within the EU/EEA is covered by yet another EU regulation. Bankruptcy is one reason that is covered, however Monarch isn't bankrupt. They have money in the bank, so maybe some issuers are interpreting it as not being necessary?

If the issuing bank is outside the EU/EEA it may well be completely different.
  • haggis_muncher
    Options
    So even though i have ATOL cover I have to claim back on my Sainsburys credit card.

Should I use Section 75 or Chargeback as I dont understand the difference and have never done either.

Fortunately I managed to book another holiday but it cost extra - can I claim the difference.

Thankyou
  • Caz007
    Options
    I booked 2 one way flights from Lisbon for next Year on the 30th Sept with Halifax mastercard credit card, when the news broke I phoned Halifax to try to cancel payment, but because it was pending they said they couldn't stop it and to phone back when it went on my statement, I was hoping the payment would of been void,but now it has gone through, I have to claim it back,but because I haven't actually parted with any money yet, shouldn't Halifax just credit my account back and if they don't, the flight was only £158 for two of us, so would I have to claim chargeback instead of S75. Thanks.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Caz007 wrote: »
    the flight was only £158 for two of us, so would I have to claim chargeback instead of S75. Thanks.

Presumably, you made a single payment of £158. If so, S75 applies.
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,102 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    N4t4lie wrote:
    Personally I am surprised just how many ways you can reclaim your loss in such cases if you have put it on a debit or credit card especially (even via Paypal). We are told to look out for ATOL when booking packages, so why would you pay extra for something that should already be covered?

They each provide a slightly different cover though. ATOL is excellent protection... if you are on holiday when your airline or tour operator goes bust, ATOL protection means you can complete your holiday and be flown home.

Section 75 may cover this, but you’d probably have to fight for it as most card companies would try and just refund you your original payment. Debit card offers no such protection and would only do a chargeback.

Remember, the Monarch failure had a curious quirk in repatriation.... they are repatriating everyone up until 15tn October. The only people actually entitled to repatriation are those who are ATOL protected, which is the minority. Anybody who booked a flight only is not entitled to it, and is getting a freebie, and a very good one at that!

It seems the Department for Transport and CAA took the decision to repatriate all. I believe this is unprecedented. It’s not been stated why this decision was taken .... the main theory being the timing coincided with the Conservative Party Conference. It’s also unclear as to who will foot the cost. It’s likely that the trustees of the Air Travel Trust (ATOL) will only authorise payment for those actually ATOL protected, which is the minority, and will leave a huge shortfall in the reported £60million cost of “Air CAA”
  • Wayne_h
    Wayne_h Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Does anyone have the PayPal phone number complaint still not registering on website
  • N4t4lie
    N4t4lie Posts: 197 Forumite
    Options
    Caz007 wrote: »
    I booked 2 one way flights from Lisbon for next Year on the 30th Sept with Halifax mastercard credit card, when the news broke I phoned Halifax to try to cancel payment, but because it was pending they said they couldn't stop it and to phone back when it went on my statement, I was hoping the payment would of been void,but now it has gone through, I have to claim it back,but because I haven't actually parted with any money yet, shouldn't Halifax just credit my account back and if they don't, the flight was only £158 for two of us, so would I have to claim chargeback instead of S75. Thanks.

Call them and initiate a chargeback; under £100 per person means you can't use Section 75, as you haven't had a statement yet they should ringfence as if it were a fraudulent transaction (I am not saying it is fraudlent, just that they use the same process) and then recredit your account. Hope that helps.
  • N4t4lie
    Options
    So even though i have ATOL cover I have to claim back on my Sainsburys credit card.

Should I use Section 75 or Chargeback as I dont understand the difference and have never done either.

Fortunately I managed to book another holiday but it cost extra - can I claim the difference.

Thankyou

There is a letter on the Monarch CAA web page now saying that if you paid on credit card to go to the provider for a refund.

If the purchase price of the holiday is over £100 then you can use Section 75 to reclaim. Although this can cover incidental costs it may not cover the increased cost of a new holiday, but it's worth while trying. When Low Cost went under S75 covered the increased cost of the hotel for instance (people still had flights in that case though).

They can refund using chargeback, but that would only be cover the cost of the original holiday.

Have a read of Martin's articles on the main web page to familiarise yourself with the details, there are standard letters and guidance on there too.
  • N4t4lie
    Options
    Wayne_h wrote: »
    Does anyone have the PayPal phone number complaint still not registering on website

0800 358 7911

Previous experience says Paypal is in discussion with the administrators and is gathering the information it needs in order to process refunds. If you look at it from their point of view, they have no idea if you have taken the holiday or flight yet (even in their 180 day cut off) and will need this information to verify all claims. If you have put in a dispute be patient. When Low Cost went under all those with valid claims were paid out within a month of the collapse but it took a couple of weeks for them to start processing repayments.

I agree not knowing is frustrating, but if my previous experience can give you any reassurance I hope it helps.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure