PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Making Paper Bricks / Logs

Options

Comments

• Mrs_Miggins_2
    Options
    I got my mould at a car boot sale - since buying it I seem to see loads more. I reckon the mould does make better brick as it's got a leverage thing to squeeze the water out - still take ages to dry though - def. more of a summer job to store until winter. When I've finished the washing up I use the hot water to soak the shredded paper - paper seems to break down better with a bit of detergent in it, and it's more recycling!
  • Omertron
    Omertron Posts: 574 Forumite
    Options
    We used to do this as children!

As has been mentioned, you'll need space and patience. We used to have an old dustbin with water in it, and throw the paper in there for a week or so. Not sure if it was necessary for that length of time and was more to do with the fact that it was one of the weekend chores to compress the bricks and store them for drying.

Stack them like a jenga game so there is air space between the bricks and rotate them once in a while. Once you've been at it for a month you'll have plenty to keep you going.

As for how to use them, they're not quite the same as throwing them on the fire like a log... neither are they as romantic ;) They are very good slow burners and we used to use them when the coal fire was being made, we'd place the paper brick in the centre and build the fire around it. Not sure if a wood fire will get hot enough to burn too well.
    - = I also recognise the Robins and beep for them = -
  • black_pudding_2
    Options
    Been reading all the posts in this thread, and I want to get a proper fire just to make these bricks :D
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

20p savers club = £8.00
    £2.00 savers club = £0.00 (£100 banked)

AMAZON SELLERS CLUB member 0024 come and join us make some space and get hold of some cash, we're on the Ebay and other auctions, Car Boot and Jumble Sales Board
  • Zed42
    Zed42 Posts: 929 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hiya,

I bought my brick maker a month or so ago, and since then I've made a few bricks and I've found some combinations better than others and I am now wondering what you think makes the best "brick".

I've found that shredded paper (envelopes / junk mail etc) only falls to pieces, whereby paper / newspaper and sawdust makes the best mix - solid / light brick which burns well.
    GC - March 2024 -
  • demented_2
    demented_2 Posts: 455 Forumite
    Options
    Zed42. I have been after a log maker for ages, no luck yet though. what sort of log maker have you got? I want to make some logs for my daughter.
    Thanks demented.:beer:
    20p savers club
    before joining had nothing
    joined on 19/03
    now have £40.00 saved :j :j :j
    saving to pay off debts Debts now paid off. Yeah.
    Amazon sellers club member 31
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi,

These older threads might help:

Free logs for the fire or chimnea

Making Paper Bricks

Pink
  • Topher
    Topher Posts: 640 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've been on e-bay and it looks as though I'll have to spend around £20 to buy a log maker in either the green plastic tube style, of the metal one with a lever on top. I've seen them in those Scotts of Stowe type leaflets that drop out of magazines, but still at a similar price.

Does anyone have any ideas for making logs for our open fire out of waste newspaper? It would seem that you basically need a means of pressing water out of the briquette one its formed, then leave it to dry somewhere.
    I already make whirlygigs, rolled paper tubes coiled up into fire starters, that's not what I'm after.

Thanks, Topher
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Topher,

We have an older thread on making paper logs that might help you, so I'll merge your thread with it. The posts are listed in date order so you'll need to read from the beginning to see all the replies.

Pink
  • soba
    soba Posts: 2,166 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    DH and DS (4) are in the garden now, making paper bricks. Think they're using wet, shredded paper. No special machinery though, think hubby has 'knocked something together' in true money saving style. When they come in I'll ask for the method!
  • Zed42
    Zed42 Posts: 929 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Topher,

I trialled with making them by hand, but for us, forking out the £20 for the one from Scotts had made life a lot simpler, and more compact.

I find that the best combination for a brick is newspaper / shredded waste paper and sawdust.

DH brought a sack load of sawdust back from the guy who made our sash windows, so I shall be making another load of bricks this week.
    GC - March 2024 -
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport