£1.50 text charge?????

Options

Comments

• fraz24
    fraz24 Posts: 52 Forumite
    Options
    got one too, title FreeMessage https://www.focgifts.com no reply number just a passcode, hopefully wont get charged!
  • chrisfellows
    Options
    If focgifts.com have charged you for simply receiving the message then ICSTIS are obliged to take action, as O2 have told me. If ICSTIS try and fob you off then see if they'll confirm in writing why they won't help.

Email focgifts.com and ask then a few awkward questions: Ask them to contact the 'friend' (that they'll claim had referred you) and get permission to disclose their identity to you. Ask them for the date and time that you were referred. Point out that you believe that they got your number from a spam list and you'd be interested to see if they could prove you wrong.
  • rshaw40
    rshaw40 Posts: 217 Forumite
    Options
    Got one too, about a week ago, definitely haven't been charged... so far at least!

Seem's they've sorted this out...
  • fireuptheband
    Options
    Just received one, but will have to wait for my monthly bill to see if I've been charged.

I can't see how someone texting you can cost you, when you haven't asked for it.
    Surely if it was that easy, everyone could just set one up and text everyone they know.
  • fonesaver
    fonesaver Posts: 252 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just got one from www.prizedonkey.com

(Fantastic 4 Mobile Limited
    PO box 892
    Girne
    Mersin 10
    Turkey)

as well (on O2 contract SIM) - it's says 'free message'.

I then went to the website and requested a code for a spare pre-pay virgin sim card and checked the balance before and after and I wasn't charged so hopefully OK from that point of view.
  • proplusplus
    proplusplus Posts: 441 Forumite
    Options
    millimoo2 wrote: »
    FINALLY.....
    Steps to ensure you are barred in future:

- Contact your mobile phone service provider
    - Ask them for the 5 digit shortcode the charge has come from - in my instance it was 78181.
    - In captitals, text STOP to the shortcode (78181 in this instance).
    - Your mobile phone operator will then bar at their end.

Nearly right.

your mobile phone operator does not bar at their end. the STOP or STOP ALL reply to these chargeable SMS is supposed to dis-engage your number from the database where they send out chargeable SMS. It can take upto 48hrs to process, and is upto the sender of the chargeable SMS to remove your number from the system.

If after this period you continue to receive the chargeable SMS, you should report it to your network provider and request that they send 3rd party aggregator feedback. These companies are only able to operate under licenses and/or agreements with the network operators.

proplusplus
    Information provided is offered as a guide, and should not be deemed to be 100% accurate/correct. Please verify with the appropriate company/legislation for confirmation. Always seek verification to ensure you do not encounter future problems!
  • PlanetEarth
    Options
    I have been getting the texts from 78181. O2 will not refund the costs nor have fantastic4mobile replied to my e mail. The irony is what I am having to pay for is in an incompatible format so I have no idea what the messages even offered. Not happy about having to pay another 12p to stop the messages!
  • Totoriko
    Totoriko Posts: 650 Forumite
    Options
    I had similar a problem 2 months ago.
    It was actually worse because my phone NEVER received the supposedly sent text message - it was only listed on my bill. I traced the sender, called gossiptrading, and contacted them.
    The apologised and sent me £5 cash by post.
  • chrisfellows
    Options
    PlanetEarth, not sure which email you're trying for fantastic4mobile but try [EMAIL="admin@fantastic4mobile.com"]admin@fantastic4mobile.com[/EMAIL]. I'm also with O2 who were happy to refund the cost of the text. If the O2 operator won't help you then ask to speak to a supervisor and explain that you didn't give permission to receive the message.

I complained to the ICO about fantastic4mobile and received a letter a week ago saying that the company is based in Cyprus. They said that they'd pass on my complaint to their Cyprus colleagues so hopefully they'll do something about it (although I won't hold my breath!!!)
  • Dickieburd
    Dickieburd Posts: 173 Forumite
    Options
    Originally posted by Grey Ghost
    I have contacted my service provider and I have had a stop put on any chargeable text messages, I dont use my phone to pay for anything so I dont need it, also I am thinking of having text messaging removed from my phone as i have lost confidence with this sort of system,

I did not know that you could request a stop to chargeable text messages via the phone operator, nor was I aware that you could get text messaging removed from your line altogether.

Are these two options available for all networks? I am awaiting a free PAYG sim from 02 so this may be of interest especially the chargeable SMS block.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure