PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Question for home bread makers - Tiger bread

Options

Comments

• Jo_anne_2
    Jo_anne_2 Posts: 266 Forumite
    Options
    dearauntie wrote: »
    If the answer is a combination of brushing the crust with some variety of paste, and sesame oil, why not, just before baking begins, lightly brush with tahini

I think this has been tried by another poster (post #27) without success.
  • Swan_2
    Swan_2 Posts: 7,060 Forumite
    Options
    Jo_anne wrote: »
    I think this has been tried by another poster (post #27) without success.
    yes, too oily unfortunately

we can get the cracked effect, it's getting enough of the sesame flavour hat's been difficult. I know it's been said there's no sesame in it, but Asda & Tesco Tiger bread definitely tastes strongly of it, & sprinking on seeds is not the same
    strangely, none of the commercial mixes I've found have any sesame in them :confused:

but I'm definitely going to give it another go, there must be a way
  • grtd1
    grtd1 Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    1000g rice flour, 100g fresh yeast, 100g sugar, 50g salt, 100ml sesame oil, 900ml water
  • Swan_2
    Options
    grtd1 wrote: »
    1000g rice flour, 100g fresh yeast, 100g sugar, 50g salt, 100ml sesame oil, 900ml water
    hmmm, that's very similar to the one I scaled down & tried earlier in the thread ... see post #7 & the result in post #16
    Swan wrote:
    for hand-made bread I usually use 500g of flour, so ... if we divide that recipe by 10 it should work for 1 large loaf

Rice flour 150g
    Water 150g
    Sugar 9g
    Oil 7.5g
    Salt 3g
    Fresh yeast 3g ... or 1 1/2 dried???

sounds like it'll still make quite a lot & we still have to get the sesame in ... maybe sesame oil instead of veg oil would work?

the proportions look slightly different, so I'll give it a go :)
  • Swan_2
    Options
    tried it out with exactly the same result as last time, looks very Tigery, but doesn't smell or taste Tigery :(

oh well, back to the drawing board :o
  • Swan_2
    Options
    I wonder if using sesame oil in the bread dough itself would work?

I think I feel another experiment coming on :D
  • BlueFleur
    BlueFleur Posts: 204 Forumite
    Options
    Could you not try contacting the various supermarkets and asking for the ingredients? I know that they will supply lists if asked by people with specific dietry requirements. Then the proportions would be the only challenge!

Tiger bread is great- the loafs go so quickly when my family are around! I won't be buying a BM till I move out, but I figure I can start being curious now :o
  • Swan_2
    Options
    BlueFleur wrote: »
    Could you not try contacting the various supermarkets and asking for the ingredients? I know that they will supply lists if asked by people with specific dietry requirements. Then the proportions would be the only challenge!

Tiger bread is great- the loafs go so quickly when my family are around! I won't be buying a BM till I move out, but I figure I can start being curious now :o
    that's an excellent idea! I'd never have thought of that :doh:
    I'll see if I can find out who to contact

thanks for that :A
  • Swan_2
    Options
  • BlueFleur
    BlueFleur Posts: 204 Forumite
    Options
    No worries- I only know because my bf has allergies! My cunning plan is to let you guys develop the recipe and then nab it when I get my own place ;)

Did you notice the recipe attached to the wiki? http://www.megaheart.com/kit_dutchcrunch.htm
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure