PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

'supporting each other through really tough times'

Options

Comments

• ginnyknit
    ginnyknit Posts: 3,718 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hope all goes well tomorrow Kidcat x
    Clearing the junk to travel light
    Saving every single penny.
    I will get my caravan
  • jem132
    jem132 Posts: 511 Forumite
    Options
    Hi sorry iv not been around iv not been very well.
    I've got another CT scan today then an appointment with my consultant tomorrow I hope to find out exactly what's wrong and when and what they will do about it. Have a good day xx
    I have dyslexia so I apologize for my spelling and grammar
  • Popperwell
    Popperwell Posts: 5,088 Forumite
    edited 5 December 2012 at 7:54AM
    Options
    Morning All,
    Seems another cold day from the North East and yet I am warmer and the house less cold. Go figure! The temperature is no better indoors though.

Get ready to tighten the belts more as the Budget statement is due this afternoon. We won't get any good news, do we ever?

Just had a mug of coffee and three slices of toast and marmalade.

Back to bed for a bit...then more clearing of rubbish. I'd like the house finished today. Then the rest of the week just a quick dust as far as indoors go but to sort the outhouse. I'd have to do this even if I do downsize/move.

Found a leaflet from the Foodbank I donated to at the weekend and some of what I thought of as good items(and others did on here)to give they have listed...so I may give again.

They suggest...
    Sugar, Fruit Juice(Not Chilled)Sponge Pudding,UHT Milk, Biscuits/Snack Bars, Jam/Chocolate, Pasta Sauce, Pasta/Rice, Tomatoes(Tinned)Cereal, Rice Pudding, Instant Mash Potato, Tinned Meat/Fish, Tiinned Fruit, Tinned Vegetables.

Some of that list surprised me though by what they ask for and some of the ommissions. And unless on offer some items are quite expensive. Much of what is there is what "We" work with and adapt all the time. Unless they are trying to be more giving a generic list, I mean cereal could include porridge oats(I assume)

Got to the music club last night and it was a good three hours of entertainment normally free(unless you count buying raffle tickets and a drink)but this all goes to keeping the place open and supporting a "Live" music event but as there was a guest last night there was an admission fee.

That is not a complaint by the way, I am glad that I was invited/it was suggested and hopefully I'll be a regular now. There is some talent out there still if this is anything to go by and most are not "Professionals"

If no new people join how can such events survive, there is so little on the town entertainment wise otherwise.
    "A government afraid of its citizens is a Democracy. Citizens afraid of government is tyranny!" ~Thomas Jefferson

"Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in" ~ Alan Alda
  • Popperwell
    Options
    jem132 wrote: »
    Hi sorry iv not been around iv not been very well.
    I've got another CT scan today then an appointment with my consultant tomorrow I hope to find out exactly what's wrong and when and what they will do about it. Have a good day xx

We posted at the same time...

Oh Jem,
    Thinking of you, I can't stop you worrying but I send virtual hugs and hope that all will be well and not as bad as feared.

Take Care x
    "A government afraid of its citizens is a Democracy. Citizens afraid of government is tyranny!" ~Thomas Jefferson

"Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in" ~ Alan Alda
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,954 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    elizabunny wrote: »

I'm still going around with the broken (close to the front tooth), but hoping it will hold out until after Xmas. After my initial shock at breaking it, it doesn't look quite as bad as I first thought, especially if I give a lopsided smile or keep my mouth closed completely:rotfl::rotfl:and at least it has stopped aching now,

Eliza, my son has a broken front tooth (going up a water slide the wrong way and slipped :eek:) but the dentist does a temporary repair for him as he is too young to have it crowned. He puts a kind of toothpaste on it which sets hard and you can't tell the difference. It lasts about 6 months. Might do for you if keeping your mouth closed is too difficult! :p

Best wishes today, Jem
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • meme30
    meme30 Posts: 534 Forumite
    Options
    Kidcat:- Good luck for today.

Stiltwalker:- Well done on the Makaton course and your OU course too. What an amazing year you have had!

7WW:- Your stories about your Dad make me fill up. The love you feel for him shines out of the words.

Popperwell:- Sounds like a good venue for you to go to more often, I'n sure they will appreciate your support.

Jem:-:grouphug:

Elizamoose:- Yes freezing biscuits would be fine.

I understand what you mean about your DGS Ginnyknit, I too feel very protective of my Grandchildren. I had a very indulgent Grandma afternoon yesterday. Our newest DGD 4weeks old has caught cold and my DD and her DH spent most of the night listening to her coughing and choking and got very little sleep.:( I had the baby for the afternoon while they had a sleep and it was just lovely! I know, I'm a bit soppy :)
    Give us the strength to encounter that which is to come, that we may be brave in peril, constant in tribulation, temparate in wrath, and in all changes of fortune, and down to the gates of death, loyal and loving to one another.”
  • Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hope you get some answers Jem, we'll be thinking of you.

I had a good day today. Went out to do the big monthly shop, but didn't realise that it was the official opening day of the supermarket after the renovations. Was enjoying all of the sample treats as I went round and thought it was all nice, when a staff member ran up and gave me a voucher for $15 off a $100 spend. I thought that was good, but it got even better at the checkout, as I was one of the first 100 customers through the door to spend $100 I got a $20 gift card!

It's the first time anything like that has happened, I felt like I'd won the lottery.

I hope there's good news for all of you too today xx
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • Popperwell
    Options
    Little things mean a lot...I said the other day I had not done the National Lottery for years and perhaps the money could be used elsewhere but at the minute(I'll regret saying this)I have been winning just enough to often keep it ticking over without buying with my money.

Recycling the winnings. Last week I won enough to almost pay for two weeks of the lottery and Euromillions and last night one of those tickets won enough for another week of tickets...

Hope it continues...

Well done Softstuff,

Nice to be on the right side of shopping and be $35 up between the voucher and gift card.

It's just said the average family spends £435 a week:eek:Perhaps if two adults are working and you are paying full price on food, utility bills, rent, CT and soon the BT, Tv licence, Water Rates, petrol, road tax and running a car. They say we have cut back on what we spend on gardeners, cleaners and clothes and are spending £15 less.

I don't know anyone around here who is working who is anywhere near having a disposable income of £435 a week. I wonder who was asked to take part in the survey?

• kidcat
    kidcat Posts: 6,058 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    jem - hope all goes well today ((hugs))

softstuff - how amazing is that :)

meme - spending an afternoon with a 4 week old would have me in heaven for weeks!!

am all ready for todays meeting and have managed to get the washing mountain clear too!! We had eight loads last night and now we have the final one in the machine. Dryer is on too.

I am trying to decide between a turkey crown or a butterfly - as apparently Makro sell a beautiful butterfly which has no bones (thinking speedy cooking) and no waste (always good).

Managed to find the new phone wire last night whilst searching for DS8 glasses (he broke his proper pair in school), so took the time to get everything done, all I need to do today is cable clip all the wire to the skirting board and we are done. Which will mean I can get on with fitting the carpet strips in the doorways finally.
    Have decided to do the Christmas decorating this weekend so would like all these fiddly jobs out of the way first so am bashing on.

DD6 has her first Christmas performance today and my parents are off to see it, she performs three times in all and this is the only one they can make - it makes it a really busy day for them though as they are also dropping DD18 at her Uni interview for me!

Hugs to all, stay safe and warm today out there is cold :)

PS PAH - seems to be okish as she has put some pics on facebook this week :)
  • Possession
    Possession Posts: 3,262 Forumite
    Options
    Stiltwalker well done on your OU course! Pooky definitely another vote for buffet here, and a big cake plus a big trifle or something.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure